Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Video Game Idea?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't Know If Its Just Me,but I Would Love To Play A Game Like This,
There Are These Amazing 3d Dinosaur Documentaries On The History Channel That Look Fantastic,i Dont' Know Why Anyone Hasn't Created A Game Based On These, The Environment And The Dinosaurs Look So Realistic,i Think It Would Be Fun As Hell To Be A Dinosaur (any Of Your Choice) And Play As How One Lived Back In There Times In The Environment That Looks Pretty Accurate And Interactive, Being A Raptor Roaming With A Small Clan Of Other Raptors Plotting To Take Down Other Dinosaurs ,being The Dominant Carnivores Driving Fear Into Other Dinosaurs Or Maybe A Herbivore Just Trying To Live Your Life,etc,also Just Being A Human Trying To Hunt Them,sounds Similar To 'jurassic Park: Operation Genesis' ,but U Can't Be A Dinosaur,the Hunting Isnt Realistic,i Mean Walking Thru The Woods With A Rifle Being In Fear Of Being Jumped Would Be More Exciting And Also In Prehistoric Times,perhaps U Could Be Like A Triceratops,moving With A Herd For Great Distances Fighting Off Predators Travel For Long Distances, While The Game Is Accurately Displayed On How Dinosaurs Actually Lived Traveled Communicated What The Environments Looked Like Plants And Everything,not Forgetting U Might See Snakes Modern Reptiles Larghe Amphibians, Ofcourse Someone Would Have To Study These For The Game,but All In All This To Me Sounds Like Something I Could Indulge In For Months Then Come Back And Try Something Different.......................lemme Know What U Think People

basically a well designed game just as realistic as being in prehistoric times, not a game where your a dinosaur and u just kill and kill and kill and get to another board,i mean an accurate depiction of playing as that dinosaur ,a canivore for instance might take a few days to find prey, you would have to sleep,eat,interact, clean yourself in water supplies much like a sim,lay eggs,protect them,perhaps u play as a compy and steal eggs ,i mean i could go on and on, everything based on data collected by paleontologists for years applied to a video game,even 50 yr old scientists who like dinosaurs would play it,,u could probably learn from it,i dont' know,i just need some feedback,i would just love a game like this.........
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2004 08:25
i smell something near by *sniff**sniff* *Its a flame!!!!!! run

and there was a game about dinsours, dont remeber what its called but another one is called dino crises

amd athlon 3000 +333fsb||3.0 ghz||1.5 gb DDR PC3200 RAM||Nivida fx 5200 256 mb video card||200 gb hard drive||
http://www.zip.dbspot.com
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2004 08:33
Quote: "sounds Similar To 'jurassic Park: Operation Genesis' "

Courtesy of Aussie Developers Blue Tongue Software - "Bringing the Life back into Movie Adaptations".

Although it sounds as if they sacked their whole team after that game because just look at all the job openings:

Quote: "EMPLOYMENT
Last updated: June 24 2004

Current Openings

Producer (1 available)
Project Manager (1 available)
Animators (2 available)
Texturer/Modeler (1 available)
Engine Programmer (1 available)
Lead Programmer (1 available)
Game Programmers (2 available)
Game Designer (1 available)
Junior Audio Engineer (1 available)"

How odd. Well anyway, I'm going to stop going off-topic now.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Alztonto
Years of Service
User Offline
a bit like operation genesis,but im not talking about on some dinky island,i mean like real prehistoric times,based on everything scientists have said about them put into a game,and also operation genesis u can't be the dinosaur main thing,i mean i wanna be a carnivore hunting and see a triceratops group try to attack,but since triceratops formed a circle so u couldnt get to any of them,u would have to find some other vulnerable prey,operation genesis was close,but im talking way more indepth than that same old 'lets make a game about the movie jurassic park blah blah blah' im going for 'realism'
Troan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2004 09:08
*yawns*

All that glitters.. Even the stars. All things precious.. Even your life.
The King of Bandits can steal it all. In a blink of an eye.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2004 11:29
What about that Molyneux and his BC game?

Dino's are done to death these days - when you actually play a dino game it's usually disapointing. Personally I'd like to see a game like this but where you control a human, having to fight wooly mammoths in the snow and all the other megabeasts we had to slaughter. Maybe playing as part of nomadic tribes who are at war.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that you are imagining the great scenes that the graphics could produce, and then confusing that with a great game. It would be hard to make the game fun. It would be nice to watch the game like a movie. A movie that has intelligence, and so it is not linear. It's just that dinosaurs don't do much that could be put into a game.

Alztonto
Years of Service
User Offline
don't do much? u don't think it would be fun to a be raptor sittin up in a tree waiting for some dinosaur to walk by then jump on them and gut the living hell out of him .......i think that would be excellent
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 08:27 Edited at: 27th Jun 2004 08:35
Alztonto,
(Could you edit your first post and use paragraphs, and periods instead of all those commas? It's very hard to read.)

Don't get too discouraged. Certain games, especially realism (sims) are not everyone's cup of tea. I happen to like those types of games.

In fact I had an idea pretty similar to yours, that didn't go over well with my friends. Rather than dinosaurs I thought it would be interesting to have a game where you could play as different types flying creatures from prehistoric teradactyls to Hawks,Eagles,Vultures to Bats. Kind of like a flight sim. Less of a game then an actual simulator. Even though the Idea flopped with nearly everyone I spoke to about it, it's still something that I want to do.

Picture being a Hawk going in for a kill. Spotting a rabbit on the ground at a few hundred feet in the air. To me it's exciting. Even if many try to convinve me that it sounds dull.

But then again, I would probably play a bird sim that has you building a nest for a few hours. Our sitting on an egg.
-----------------------------------------------

I also like the show on the Discovery Channel (I think?) that uses computers to pit two animals together and tries to predict who would win. The animation sequences play like a great game. Like the one between a Lion and A Tiger. I think the Tiger won that contest. A deadly bite to the throat caused the "Fatality!"

~zen

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 08:34
Dino Game? Sounds good.

Sorry for going off topic,

@zenassem
where is your animated sig sprite from?

Amist the Blue Skies...
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 08:39 Edited at: 27th Jun 2004 08:40
The sprite is from King Of Fighters series. Not sure which one though.

Whatever's avatar scares me. It looks like that reaper is coming right out of the screen.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 08:39
Quote: "Just Being A Human Trying To Hunt Them"
Human were still apes when dino's were alive.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 08:45
sounds like a good game (of course i like almost any simulation game)

@zenassem
that don't sound like a very fun game/sim and i like most sim games

has your ending began or has your beginning ended
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 08:45 Edited at: 27th Jun 2004 08:54
Oh yeah, What about the Flintstones. Next your gonna try to tell that "land of the lost" isn't real.

I believe he meant taking down Wooly Mammoths and other creatures like Sabre-tooth tigers and the like. I'm not an Historian, but i think those were around with humans.

@hackr83
I know. I haven't found one person who thinks it's a fun game. I don't know why I'm convinced it would be cool. My mind just refuses to see the futilty of the idea. It would be one of those things that I would probably code, and put tons of effort into - And when complete realize what a complete boring disaster.

But hey, I had a friend who played "Bass Master" for like a week straight. Who would of thought that a fishing game could be fun. I also use to play flight simulator in real-time I actually flew the entire route from NY To DC. Of course I had a bag of peanuts for extra sensory delight.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 09:22
Quote: "playing as that dinosaur ,a canivore for instance might take a few days to find prey"

That sounds to me like a fantastically dull game!

Nothing happening for days ... are you kidding?

Can you imagine that happening in any other game?
One of the many WW2 FPS games that are available for example. Take those to the levels of realism that you are talking about and you have a group of men living in a wet, smelly trench for months at a time, defending a very small patch of land.
Stick your head up from the trench for just a moment and ... game over!
It doesn't sound like too mcuh fun to me. That's why games don't have to much realism in them - real life isn't fun!

Your basic concept is OK, play as a dinosaur - attack other dinosaurs but it has been done before.

Quote: "There Are These Amazing 3d Dinosaur Documentaries On The History Channel That Look Fantastic,i Dont' Know Why Anyone Hasn't Created A Game Based On These, The Environment And The Dinosaurs Look So Realistic"

It sounds to me like you are confusing the pre-rendered graphics of the documentaries with the real time rendered graphics of a game. You just couldn't have graphics like that in a game.
Admitedly the latest graphics cards have some wonderfully realistic demos shipped with them but it will be many years before a games graphics can compare with pre-rendered stuff.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 17:14 Edited at: 27th Jun 2004 17:15
Quote: "- real life isn't fun!"

Nailed it!
If it took years in roller coaster tycoon to build a coaster, it would be part of a cornflakes box deal sooner. ALOT sooner.

When I try to come up with a good game concept I usually think to the past and go over the whole philosophy of games. WHY where the first games made? What are games really supposed to do to the player? Why the hell do we even sit down to play games? Do we want to do things we can't in real life? Do we want to enter a fantasy world far from our own? Do we just want to be amused and kill time? Or maybe just spill blood?

I usually get a good concept in my head at that point. When you relize what video games are really for, you can easly make an original game. (Learn from the industry's mystakes, what happened in a cartoon or movie, should never make it's way into movie licensed video game)

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 04:29:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 04:29:27