Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Severe Exception!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 00:26

I've found 1 topic on this before but it has not helped.....
I make my cool L337 program and hit F4 to compile... Its all fine, then I hit F5 to start it, play for about .67 seconds, and:
RUNTIME ERROR AT LINE [number]: SEVERE EXCEPTION.
Heres the portion that always is SEVERE EXCEPTION:

The code is a bit unorganized, and may not be the most efficent or proffesional way of getting the job done, but it does what I need it to... Most of the time...
Except for the Severe Exception, the part that it highlights is:

It doesnt do this all the time, and if i restart DB (classic) then it might work fine, But this just gets SO ANNOYING.

Any Advice? Is it a bug in DBC? Ahh....

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 00:47
Why do you have 65000 as the value in your sprite collission command? Are you truly using upt to 65000 sprites? If not, try lowering this number as a test, to something in the hundreds or lower.

I'm not exactly how many sprites dbpro can handel, but depending on the type that was used in the C++ code it may be under 32,000 or thereabouts. Regardless of the technical ascpects try using a lower number for the sprite you are checking collisions with. From there we can try to determine if 65000 is a valid sprite number. I believe it should be, but I don't think that many games would have used sprite numbers from 1 to 64999.

Let me know what the results of the test are?

~zen

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 01:23
No, I havent used near 65,000 Sprites
But I have only put it there becuase I got mad and tried random numbers.... I've tried low numbers and everything, but everything seems to give me SEVERE EXCEPTION

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 02:20
My only other guess is the play sound 1 line.

Perhaps the sound is already playing as you cycle through the loop. This would make sense, as it wouldn't be a syntax error that the copiler would catch, but rather throw an exception during execution.
I haven't worked much with the sound commands so I'm not sure about it.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you rem out the line play sound 1?\

If that's not it, I would look to make sure that your not accessing any of the arrays outside of their bounds. Check to make sure they are dimmed to the right size, and that your not going past the last element.

~zen
~zen

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 04:03
yeah, the Severe Exception thing sounds worse than a simple coding error, something deeper in the system like sound api or something else. I first thought 65000 might be exceeding sprites max but you said it occurs in lower vals too so try the sound possibility

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4 - w/VARIABLE WATCHER & CONSOLE! * Click Logo
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 05:39 Edited at: 26th Jun 2004 05:40
No, I got rid of the "play sound 1" and same error, same line.
It happens sometime just when Sprite 65000 and Sprite (number) collide, even If I don't click.
This is very annoying....

All my arrays are not going out of bound, everything seems fine, I don't see any possible problem....

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 05:56
maybe an old collision bug - not sure really
sorry

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4 - w/VARIABLE WATCHER & CONSOLE! * Click Logo
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 19:23
What is the value of number when it crashes or does it crash on the first for/next pass?

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 19:30
It crashes any time it feels like, sometimes it could be when number is 1 or when number is 5 ect. ect.
Sometimes it wont crash at all, only to crash on the next level which is coded the same, but with a few different images...
Sometimes I'm really lucky and there is no severe exception at all....

Is it a DBC bug?

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 19:43
Newbie Brogo,

This is really strange. Unfortunately, DBC is a closed deal and even if it is a bug it won't be addressed. I would like to try some examples in DBC & DBpro, to see if I can duplicate the problem. WOuld it be possible for you to strip down your code, (of course only enough to leave the problem you are having), and posting it. I have a feeling that if I just try the collision part, it will work, so there must be something else to all of this.

Or: If your ok with it, post your entire source or e-mail it to me at
zenassem@hotmail.com

(just remember if it's large the source button chops your code)

I feel compelled to get to the bottom of this. There is an answer to this somewhere.

~zen

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 19:47
I don't know. Too bad my trial period for DBC ran out or I could probably be more help I bought DBP but most people I know now use DBC I will have to buy DBC too it seems (will proably be around christmas though).

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 02:32

This is weird, I have made a little game thing, with a few levels. But if I tear everything out except for 1 level it seems to work Severe Exception free....

So the problem must be somewhere else... mabey in a future level or something, or within a function....
I got rid of the functions when I tore it down to 1 level...
But when I compile it into an EXE there are no Severe Exceptions, so it must be a way DBC compiles or something.....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 14:17:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 14:17:49