Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Someone help me please....I just started

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 09:03
Someone help please.

I have just started programming because there are few games out there that are truly great. I've heard that it takes alot of mathematical knowledge in order to produce great games. I am 14 and just cannot aford either version of DarkBASIC or the Begginers Guide at the moment (Any donations welcome. Lol j/k). So I have many questions.

1) Does DarkBASIC (Classic or Professional) actually need the math or can I get by with what I know.

2) Can anyone tell me where to get a good tutorial that can teach me all the commands (or atleast a few) of the commands that are very frequently used to get me by until I get the hang of it.

Since it is Summer the time off from school has given me the chance to work more , but up till now I havn't had the chance so I could use any help you can give.

3) Any thing else that you could think of that could help me, please tell me. Not only will this help me but other newcomers that join the DarkBASIC Community.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 10:43 Edited at: 27th Jun 2004 10:45
At a minimum you need Algebra since you have to work with variables and formulas a lot. As a programmer you don't solve the math as much as write the code in a manner that the program can understand.

For example,

A = abs((oldPositionX - newPositionX)/(timer()-oldTimer))

In this case, A is the absolute value for the rate of change since the last time the main game loop was run. You could use that in a lunar lander clone where you might want to display meters per second on the X axis.

You can get a lot deeper into the math. But, without the basics you won't get far. For many games, this level of math will do. As you get involved in more complex simulations, the need increases.
--
TAZ

[edit for clarity]

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
Jetmech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 16:51
On the plus side, if you love programming, then it makes learning the math a bit more interesting... I'm now going back to my physics for game developers book....

Red And Blue Eyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 17:19 Edited at: 28th Jun 2004 01:59
Ok I Don't Know If I Can Help You But This Is How I Am Learning

There Are Lots Of Code Snippits From Other People Here EXPERIMENT
With Them Take The Code Apart And Look What Happens You Don't Have To Understand Everyting Thats How I Am Learning And It's More Fun
And I Have Made Some New Code That Way

This Is A Useful Site For DBC Beginners:
http://www.colorarts.de/dbtutor/

This Is A Useful Site For DBP Beginners:
http://www.dbforums.co.uk/~hamish/

If You Are Good At Math It Will Help You A Lot
And I Agree With Jetmech if you love programming, then it makes learning the math a bit more interesting

I Use Other People Code For My Own Bennefit Why Because I like It
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:00 Edited at: 27th Jun 2004 18:01
As was said before, all you really need is a basic understanding of algebra, which you probably have by your age. To get your started I threw this together real fast. You can download the demo of DB to try it out if you want:

`this is just setup stuff
sync on:sync rate 40:autocam off
`making the object you see on the screen
make object sphere 1,100

do
`making the keys change the x and y positions of the object
if upkey()=1 then inc y,5
if downkey()=1 then dec y,5
if rightkey()=1 then inc x,5
if leftkey()=1 then dec x,5

`telling the program to position the object at x and y
position object 1,x,y,500
`displaying everything on the monitor
sync
loop

The math involved doesn't really have to get much more complicated than that (for when you first start out anyway).

Try messing around with things like this, it is the best way to learn. For instance, say you want the sphere to move faster, what do you think you would change to do that?

DB really isn't very complicated at all. I learned it all by messing around with the example code. Of course, back then there weren't all these nice tuturials there are now

Ragnarok89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 20:22
Ok, thanks for the help....I'll start experimenting like you said.
Ragnarok89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 20:37
Oh yeah, which would be better to start with. DBClassic or Pro.
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 21:54
Well most people are going to tell you Pro is a better language. I don't necasarily agree with that. It is faster and has more features (most of which the majority of people don't use), but has more problems as well. And I think DB Classic is definetely better to learn on.

Ragnarok89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 09:29
Thanks again Kain.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 15:26:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 15:26:13