Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Has Anyone Made A Commercial Quality Game with DBPRO YET????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 10:47
It sure would be inspiring to see some more quality looking games like Room War made in DBPro, but all I see is games that look like they were made by/and for the 8 Bit Nintendo lately. Is it because DBPRO has a certain learning curve you have to master or what? Or is it because the average development times are a least 1 to 2 years.

" C mon people lets make some games that look like or sorta like the X-Box and PS2 and post them in the gallery so we can motivate each other and newcomers to DB land. With Shaders, Bump mapping, and then some DBPRO should be able to pull it off.

LETS GET MOTIVATED!!!!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 11:20
Why don't you?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 11:29
Quote: "Is it because DBPRO has a certain learning curve you have to master or what? Or is it because the average development times are a least 1 to 2 years."

Yes.

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 12:09
Quote: "Quote: "Is it because DBPRO has a certain learning curve you have to master or what? Or is it because the average development times are a least 1 to 2 years."
Yes."
invalid syntax command expects 2 parameters

Create or Play? You choose!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 13:46
@powersoft... LOL!

ehm! yes and yes, theres a learning curve thats seriously steep beyond "box on a matrix with fog", plus a good game takes a fair while to create and debug, if you check announcements then you will see that hijacker:first contact, has been released recently, thats been in the works for well over a year now, Pea Guy in magic land made it onto the Asoc eclipse now cd (sp?), and theres a mah Jong game, the infamous driving test program and Starwraith (the latest incarnation) all made in DB (Starwraith in pro IIRC) and sold commercialy, plus a few that don`t admit their origins (you know who you are ), since admitting that a game is made in basic is a big turn off to a lot of punters who think back to UDG characters and bleeps from the pc speaker and assume thats all that basic is capable of, so, yes they have, even some people not a million miles away have Lee has! LOL.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Filmmaker Screenwriter
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey lets not forget 3D Mahjong.

Pentium4 3GHZ, 512MB DualChannel RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 9800XT, SoundBlaster Audigy2, 120 GB HD.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 17:01
And Tito!

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 17:09
I heard driv3r was written in dbp

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 17:31
I heard the machine's programming from the Terminator movies was indeed made in DB classic.

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:01
I heard Halo 2 is being made in DBC... But mabey thats just a rumour that floated into my head from the evil goat that lives in my pocket....

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:04
Actually it was Halo that was written in DBC, Halo 2 is being completely developed in DBPro.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:23
Yeah, isn't Half Life 2 getting written in DBP after they decided that C++ wasn't powerful enough for they're needs?

I love to mastercate while reading these forums
AKA: Tomassetti13 on LLRGT
AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:52 Edited at: 27th Jun 2004 18:54
Yeah
Some people don't know when a jokes been taken too far...
But seriously, chicken pie with ketchup is a mix so great purple cats would sell their mothers daughters to get some...

#edit, and mastercate isn't a word. Masticate however, means "To chew(food)"

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:58
Quote: "Some people don't know when a jokes been taken too far..."

Isn't Doom 3 being developed in QBasic?

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:59
Quote: "Isn't Doom 3 being developed in QBasic?"

Maybe? I'm not really "clued-up" on whats happening in the industry.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 19:01
They use the Unreal engine to make calculators now eh?

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 19:19
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?f=dts

Very popular...topped the charts for a while.

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 19:31
Actually mastercate means the "process of one self chewing food".

So technically we are both right.

I love to mastercate while reading these forums
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 20:02
to answer the original thread question.
Yes, they have.

Shiney Entertainment, Rareware, Bungie, Square-Enix, etc...
They use it for prototyping game styles, levels, engine api's, etc...

Also there are a number of retail titles using it.
Just because alot of this isn't public knowlage doesn't mean it isn't going on.

Try to remember this before posting tripe like this again.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 20:38
@Eric, are you sure? Dictionary.com can't find "mastercate" anywhere
Hehe, if you search for "mastercate" on google you get your profile on llrgt as the first result. The next 3 also relate to you

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 21:32
To be on the safe side, I changed my siggy

I love to mastercate/masticate while reading these forums
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 21:36
goood, 1-0 me...

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 21:38
Shiney Entertainment, Rareware, Bungie, and Square-Enix used DBP? :S

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 21:45
yup, as i said for prototyping not the release products.
but even still Shiney Entertainment everyone should know about considering there is a quote from them on DBP's front page.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 21:54
Sounds cool! Where can I find that?

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
bsgamemaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 23:13
I didn't mean to get certain people on this thread flamed up.
But I do know that there has been some pretty good games like Star Wraith and Tito etc in DBC which is very impressive. DBC has been stable enough for people to put the games on the market.
I'm mainly talking about DBPRO because it has up to date technology for high quality games and applications.
Quote: "Why don't you?."
Quote: "Actually it was Halo that was written in DBC, Halo 2 is being completely developed in DBPro."

@Exeat: Well I'm currently working on a project, but I'm still deciding if I want to finish the coding in DBPRO, and I may after some the bugs have been wiped out because all it does is cause complications with development. And I didn't know Halo 1 was made in DBC and Halo 2 being completely developed in DBPro, How did you find out about this information? You never know until you post threads like this one and make people talk about good news on DB/PRO.
Quote: "I heard the machine's programming from the Terminator movies was indeed made in DB classic."

@megaton: How did you find that out? Like I said before you never know until people start talking about the good stuff and not always the negative.
Quote: "Shiney Entertainment, Rareware, Bungie, Square-Enix, etc...
They use it for prototyping game styles, levels, engine api's, etc...

Also there are a number of retail titles using it.
Just because alot of this isn't public knowlage doesn't mean it isn't going on.

Try to remember this before posting tripe like this again"

@Raven: I didn't mean do get you so flared up, but like I said before you just never know whats really happening with a product until people start talking about it. Its good to hear more about the good news of DBPRO than the bad news. When you hear a lot of negativity and don't see much in the DBPro gallery you start to wonder. I know most people in the DB community don't want to show and tell but maybe in the next few months we may see more high quality games posted up the DBPRO gallery, and maybe including mine.

All in all its good to know professional game companies like Shiney Entertaintment, Square Enix and others are using DBPRO for there purposes.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah.......Good to know???

Good to know that Gollum was a Darkmatter model before he was used in LOTR as well!

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2004 00:28
Quote: "And I didn't know Halo 1 was made in DBC and Halo 2 being completely developed in DBPro, How did you find out about this information? You never know until you post threads like this one and make people talk about good news on DB/PRO."

ROFLMAO

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2004 00:29
wow, crazy

sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 20:51
I would make the next BIG game, if I had the time to!
lol

There's too much to do now, I have no time to code

Coding a great game would be kool, but, a long time, if your planning on a RPG game, it will take a long long long time..and you'll never finish it

"I'm Loving It" - Muckdonalds, get it, muck
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 21:03
LMFAO! - I did'nt really want to check this topic, glad I did now!.

DBPro is quick for testing ideas, so a lot of pro's use it to test out ideas. I mean the alternative is to write test code in C++ which would takes days instead of hours, so it's cost effective.

Really though, DBPro could be used as a commercial engine front end, like say ID software made their Q3 engine into a DBPro compatible plugin .dll - then used DBPro as a scripting style engine - what you'd have is fast engine that runs from BASIC. Instead though, most companies would use C++ and their own scripting engine, but remember the possibilities of modern engine technology and DBPro's ability to utilise plugins might change that. Might not though!.

Also - development tools could be generated with DBPro far quicker than C++, some apps would be out of the question, but a lot could be done (and is being done) with DBPro to aid commercial game development.

We had a professional terrain developer come along a few months ago with some superb screenshots of his DBPro project - educated us quite a bit on using alpha layers to get multitexturing in DBPro terrains. It pays to hang around the forums a lot!.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 21:35
Quote: "And I didn't know Halo 1 was made in DBC and Halo 2 being completely developed in DBPro, How did you find out about this information?"

I have a mate in the industry named Mr Gullable, he can get all sorts of information. Are you interested in getting in the Half Life 2 beta test? He could probably do that for you too.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 21:52
Isn't HL2 being made in an advanced high-resolution text mode? 256 colours of course.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Half life 2 is being made in Interlaced/Blitter Mode! With advanced SID sound, and Beep syncing to action. With a patented Double Buffer screen swapping activation, and Raster scanning.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 23:13
Jesus, you guys have milked this joke to death.

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 23:18
yes they have and that's why i haven't read this whole thread...

has that wraith game been mentioned? it looked good and it was written in DBPro(i think )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 23:24
db classic. And I think that dude should move on (talk about being space obbsessed)

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 23:47
That's like saying ID should move on from FPS games...

Nah, I reckon he makes reasonable money with his Starwraith series, and good on him, we've used Starwrath as an example since day 1 - and we're still using it today, this years lifetime achievement award goes too...

...That guy who makes the Starwraith games .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 23:58
lol VanB, like he doesn't have the recognition he deserves, eh? Whoever he is, I've never seen him in the forum (or maybe he's just lurking), so we can't expect everyone to know him.

There are lots of DB games that are of commercial quality, but what separate them from the magazine-cover quality games, IMO, are lots more time, and a helluva lot more money. In other words, TGC tries their best to showcase good games (for their own good as well anyway), but the developers themselves hardly have any money to pay big magazine companies or TV stations to have their games advertised at a larger scale. Other indie developers (such as us) may hear about those games and make small hype about it, but the less informed "masses" just won't give a damn. Advertisements make the industry go round.

Speaking of ads, I saw a B3D ad among the Google ads down here. TGC better keep an eye on what Google puts on their site.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 00:20
Quote: "Jesus, you guys have milked this joke to death."

And we will continue to milk until this guy finally realises we're not being serious.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 00:25
Are you dumb?
I think I know if a guy is being serious or not when he says Halo 2 is being made in DBP, I'm justing saying, the joke isn't funny anymore.

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 00:35
No trust me this is still funny

The coder formerly known as Twynklet.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 00:49
Right...
Enjoy yourselve's children.

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 00:50
Starwraith 4 is in DBP, SW3D (The user in question) was actually the first user in many respects around here to do alot.

First to finish a complete game.
First to finish a multiplayer game.
First to retail a game.

Unfortunately most of his achievements (and forum activity) stopped when DBPro was released 2years ago.
SW4 is good, but considering he's been working on it for around 18months; next to his other games isn't as big of an achievement as he track record shows.

Perhaps with Starwraith5 he'll sit back and perhaps team up with some guys to do a professional and polished job, adding in proper story, large game content and an active online universe (as opposed to the pure online 4vs4 gameplay). I'm not saying MMORPG sort of online presence, just a universe for everyone to play in.
Stop at spack docks to chat, trade some goods, elite-equé.

I mean SW3D has proven he can make viable games, I think now he needs to take it to the next level. Just like ID Software did with thier 5th FPS game (quake).

Skier Demon
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok... Well... Hmm.. Its possable that people just want to sell their games and not tell what they were coded in becasue then if it was coded in DBP, they might think its not a professional game. I used to think that before i got DBP, and now i think its AWESOME software. But some people assume DBP is begginer's stuff... And they are wrong.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 11:39
Quote: "Are you dumb?
I think I know if a guy is being serious or not when he says Halo 2 is being made in DBP, I'm justing saying, the joke isn't funny anymore."

Are you dumb? Have you read the original poster's replies? I wasn't talking about you when I said "he thinks we're being serious".

bsgamemaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 22:13
I know we got some !JOKESTERS! in the house, but I still got some attention on this thread anyway.
Raven and a few others gave me some truths I can live with.
All in all everyone just have fun coding and bring the games on!!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 23:01
Starwraith 4 was programmed in DBC.

Quote: "Created with DarkBASIC Classic, Starwraith 4 is the latest in a long line of successful commercial games from SW3D Games. There is a free trial version available, or you can buy the full game on-line."

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2004 10:42
ive just pooped my pants. o well. Time to go to the movies

amd athlon 3000 +333fsb||3.0 ghz||1.5 gb DDR PC3200 RAM||Nivida fx 5200 256 mb video card||200 gb hard drive||
http://www.Veonite.com
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2004 11:04
Raven -> And you're in the position to critisize the Star Wraith series is as good as ever. I suggest you finish at least, oh, a minigame before trying to poke holes in successful developers' ideas and games.

Another commercial/pro DB/DBP games I didn't see mentioned-- Freeform. T'was pretty fun, but the dev got ripped off by a bogus publisher... sad business .

The new developer network updates and beta downloads kick ass.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 04:32:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 04:32:20