Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / BT to cap ADSL usage to 15GB a month

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 00:57
Well, that's just typical isn't it. I have unlimited ADSL usage on BT's £27 a month broadband. Today they have revealed EVERYONE on BT broadband will be capped at 15GB a month ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/30/bt_broadband_price/ ).

Price will be going down to compensate (reducing to 24.99). I have no idea of my usage as I share connection with two other flatmates and I know one of them is always downloading big stuff. Hopefully 15GB is more than enough for us.

Rant over. back to work...

Boo!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 01:03
Hmm, this may affect me. I have a 1Mbps line, and BT provides a good service, but they are not cheap by any means. I don't know that I pull as much as 30GB down a month, but there are about 5 internet connected PCs/Laptops in our house via a WiFi network.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 01:04
Quote: "BT provides a good service"

ever used customer service?

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 01:08
This will affect me too, i use the £27 512k one . They should give us a choice, Capped and get £2.01 off a month or pay full price and get uncapped.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 01:17
Why do you people insist on reading 'The Register', the site is the biggest load of swill on the internet.

Quote: "Well, that's just typical isn't it. I have unlimited ADSL usage on BT's £27 a month broadband. Today they have revealed EVERYONE on BT broadband will be capped at 15GB a month ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/30/bt_broadband_price/ ).

Price will be going down to compensate (reducing to 24.99). I have no idea of my usage as I share connection with two other flatmates and I know one of them is always downloading big stuff. Hopefully 15GB is more than enough for us."

BT Openworld seems to believe the cheapest package is £29.99, it also doesn't mention cap rates.
I also cannot find any news on this so-called 'Rate-Cap' or 'Price-Drop'

It is common practise for alot of companies using cable and such to enforce a 10/20GB rate cap, this is due to network load as they tend to have between 20-200users per area. BT Broadband works using a Max 50 customers/area, this was exclusively to prevent 'peak time' syndrome and any need for bandwidth caps.

And whether the company actually does put it into practise right away again is another matter entirely.
NTL Officially stated that people on my connection would gain 2x the Speed and the cost would only raise by £2 for this.
This was suppose to happen at the end of May;

It is now July, I'm still paying £15/month and running at 150K.
And that was after and official annoucenment.

DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 01:24
As the article states GB, I guess it means GigaBytes not Gigabits. Thats still a whooping 500MB a day!

At 512Kbps that equates to around 2hrs10mins a days worth of data at full speed.

Unless your getting through an 80Gb hard drive every 3 months or so I really wouldnt worry about it, and hey you can always move provider.

The coder formerly known as Twynklet.
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 01:30
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3852433.stm

news from a lightly better source.

telewest blueyonder haven't started capping yet and my 1mbps has just gone up to 1.5

which is nice

All Hail the Glory of the HypnoToad
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 01:37
DeepBlue remember that this isn't just your physical downloads, it's your entire download Cache.
You visit somewhere like here, lets say each Avatar is around 45KB, and the buttons are like 10KB each, plus the pages could range from 10-100KB.

Adveragely you'd like end up with downloading 1MB of data every 6-7minutes. Just from one forum browse session; The more you browse the more data you use.
You turn on MSN, that's 64KB/sec your inactive + Text and Icon bandwidth when you are active.
Play Games Online, that's Nth KB /sec too.

15GB won't matter much to someone like me who's only on 150Kb/Sec, but to someone running at 256Kb/Sec you can use this up quite quickly with heavy use.

Downloading Software is simply an 'obvious' use of it, doesn't mean that is the only use of your bandwidth.

And yeah that's a more creditable source Karlos But as I said above, companies take ages to actually impliment these things. So don't expect this to be overnight if it does happen.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:05
ntl 1mbit has gone upto 37.99 from 34.99 to pay for the upgrade.

bt just like being fussy. ntl tried to force a 1gb/day limit on 512k/1mbit connections.

wouldnt of liked to be in the customer service department that week

bt offer 150hours on dialup for £15/month? i call that ripoff

plenty of good isps out there.

my advice to you ADSL users, go look around. you will be suprised at how many better isps there is out there.

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:17 Edited at: 1st Jul 2004 02:19
I'm with Telewest / Blueyonder, and I wouldn't go back to BT, despite their cussy services not being brilliant. I've come to expect numpties on the telephone lines of all major companies (see my "I'm Dead, it's official" thread).

TW seem to be way ahead of BT. I'm on 750K for £25/month. I got the 50% bandwidth upgrade free as part of their network improvements. They are always ahead for domestic bandwidth speed should I wish to upgrade, I've had the 2 meg option available to me for months.

And it's "real" broadband, not copper cable feeding 20% errors down the line.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:28 Edited at: 1st Jul 2004 02:30
Quote: "ever used customer service?"

Yes, they were actually pretty good.

Quote: " Why do you people insist on reading 'The Register', the site is the biggest load of swill on the internet."

And you would recognise a reliable news source when you saw one?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:35
I find the register a nice daily read and pretty accurate.

Details of ADSL price cuts are everywhere today but strangely no mention of capping.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=5552276§ion=news

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1087373368878

http://www.vnunet.com/news/1156308

BUT full details, including capping limits are now on BT website:

http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressreleasesandarticles/Corporatenewsreleases/2004/nr0455.htm

Boo!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:37
Hmmm. Much like the NTL cap (1Gb a day, but can go over, just they check out what you did over a period of a week then have a go) it will cause people to get right irritated. Always liked the argument about Internet TV. NTL etc always advertise how we can use online channels to watch TV etc etc. Not so bloody easy to watch much with 500mb. If I remember rightly someone on the nthellworld forums reckoned that NTLs advertised channel (something to do with Big brother methinks) would be used up within a couple of hours with the 1gb limit. Fair enough with normal browsing, and a bit of downloading, but it's the video streams that will kick it in the chops. And they really want us to watch that stuff.

Is much like when I had NTLWorld originally. As much (telephone) internet as you want for nothing!!! Hurray (took a while to get it though)!!! A year later or so later, and what's this? Yep, you pay for it mate. Grief.

Wouldn't mind, buy I really really hate NTL. Shame there isn't another cable company in the area.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:42
Quote: "The new monthly allowances have been set at levels significantly higher than the usage of the overwhelming majority of broadband customers. For example, the 512k services, featuring a 15GB allowance, will still enable customers to do all of the following each month:

Surf the internet for 15 hours every day,

Send / receive 250 JPEG pictures via e-mail per week,

Download 250 music tracks and three hours of video clips per week,

Listen to online radio for fifteen hours every day,

Send / receive 3000 emails*** per week.

"

That sort of implies you can do *all* of the above. Hmmm. Bet you it really means only one of them. ie. online radio every day for fifteen hours, but *nothing* else. Grief, and if email is counted then the more spam you get, the more you lose! Time to totally use hotmail all the time then, and chuck Outlook....

Notice also they don't list internet video? Yep... if you can only get 15 hours of radio a day... hmmmm... so much for the TIVO type online effort they all seemed to striving towards...

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:44
Oh, and I just realised they mentioned video..... looks like edit doesn't work on this forum just now... long day at work.... still, 3 hours a week is hardly what BT/NTL try and advertise.

Cheers

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:49
Get Nildram - they have both limited and unlimited bandwidth accounts.

The place for great plug-ins and things.
Availiable : mySQL Interface plug-in.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:51
FYI: BT Openworld is now called BT Yahoo! Broadband. There will be a 15GB limit on the 512k package and 30GB limit on 1Mb. Effective 1st July.

Still think they should have bought down price of my 512k line from 27 to something a lot lower than 24.99

The BT Yahoo! Broadband 1Mb is down from 40.99 to only 29.99. I may be tempted by this!

Boo!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:52
Quote: "I find the register a nice daily read and pretty accurate."

About as accurate as using a slingshot as a sniping weapon in my experience.
That said it probably has the same appeal as Yahoo! news does to people, honestly can't stand that low-grade bilge.

NTL is pretty decent now, I've been on them from thier basic package in the states and also their UK one. I've found that although pings are lower here (i miss 8ms gameplay), the service is quite stable. When it's up th service runs without problems, when it's down it's usually only for a few hours of maintainence.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 03:05
Quote: "NTL is pretty decent now, I've been on them from thier basic package in the states and also their UK one. I've found that although pings are lower here (i miss 8ms gameplay), the service is quite stable. When it's up th service runs without problems, when it's down it's usually only for a few hours of maintainence."
The service is excellent. Can't really fault it. I have had it go down for a few days only a couple of times in several years. What I don't like is their support. Try phoning them up to rid yourself of several hours. Playing department ping-pong is also fun on the phone *even* if you know the actual answer, and just want them to sort it out. Also, their idea of "evening service" is stupid. Is something like 4.30 till 8.00. This is to service people who work.. Hmmm... so how many people can finish before 4.30, and have a really quick trip home???? And they cannot give you an exact time.... steam... mad just thinking of it... because of that (and Saturday service is like gold dust) I had to wait over 2 weeks before I could take time off from work to wait for the engineer. Grrrr...

Heh, always liked it when the NTL helpdesk found I hadn't registered with NTLWorld (was one of the original people that still get the 512/600/750 service for £20 because I bought the modem, and still do because I put up a fuss about paying £25 when I own the modem - and they wouldn't give me a new one). I told him this was because I had the service before all this registration stuff (long before). He then told me he was amazed I had a connection and would probably lose it within minutes. I repeated that this wouldn't be the case as I had been using the service for years without problem. He didn't listen and we waited for several minutes until he (sort of) believed me. T**t.... and he was the clever techy guy they passed me to after several useless departments. Tops.

God, that brought it all back... so hate NTL

Cheers

eat much pie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 04:06
On the BBC news page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3852433.stm) it has different tariffs for "BT Broadband" and "BT Yahoo Broadband" (Yahoo is £2 more expensive). So what's the difference? I'm with BT, but I have no idea which one I'm on.

When these new prices come into action I'll probably change to the 1 MB bandwidth (at the moment, I have 512k), but should I get "yahoo" or the normal one?

Checkpoint Router: my very own AI routing program: http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/eatmuchpie
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 04:50
I have 1mbps with Pipex, no capping there

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DBPTIME plugin available here:
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 06:41
I can accept the caps from a business point of view, however I think that they should at least make an offer of an unlimited usage service to high-rate users, and a per-week cap would be preferable to a per-month cap.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 09:15
i find monthly limits for broadband stupid. you pay for a faster speed and no limit on what you download.

so 30gb/month. so technically 1gb per day if the month is 30days

say your a linux addict and like to test the major distros. ~700mb per cd. so the big distro's are 3cd's, ~2.1gb already gone. (2days bandwidth used)

a normal internet radio station e.g. 128k stream
16kb/s * 60 = 960kb per minute
1 hour = 57,600kb
1 day = 1,382,400kb

so lets say you listen to the radio station while your coding. e.g. 5 hour session.
288mb gone

i can see you bt'er are going to move swiftly to another isp

enough of me rambling

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 11:17
Im only allowed 6 gig a month on my cable and mine costs a little more than what you guys are getting it for.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 15:55
I would bet on other companies following the trend of capping the bandwidth. and its not all bad a 1 mb connection has gone down £10 1p in the bt side of things so i think i am gonna upgrade.

Any spelling mistakes are totally In tensional.
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 20:52
I don't have the money for adsl, but at FTI (a computing place I got to) they have some king of uber fast cable internet that unlimited. Cost's them heaps. The nets not cheap here. Time to finish me clone army and invade Korea....

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2004 00:29
Mr Flibble: Why don´t you just ask the potato king to send in his army? You can split it in two. North Korea for him and South Korea for you.

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 04:36:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 04:36:30