Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Need help with camera

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 02:26
I need real help with positioning cameras, I'm trying to make a beat them up game and I'm trying to get the cam to always be behind the charas. like the room demo that vcame with DB.please help.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 03:14
just position the camera XYZ, player XYZ + 100 or something

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 04:05
yeah thats the bit I'm stuck on. I can't get the cam to "stick" behind the chara.Like the room and jetski demo's that came with DB.

Another thing. Does anyone know if theres a mp3 to wav converter. that would be useful. And I also need a little info on setting the height of matrix's it's confusing me. I'm currently trying to make wireframes for the chara's, so it'll keep me busy for a long while.

lol, I'm pretty dumb so I don't blame ya if ya think I'm baka(idiot in jap).

hehe, does anyone want to help me make my first game. Just e-mail me (Kean_ooi@hotmail.com) - (and please don't spam me)

lots of thanks to peeps who can help.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 04:09
lol, totally out of the subject here>>>

Are you into anime R. Vegeta, cause I am. lol, later.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 04:19
I'll rephrase that previous, previous post about the stick cam thing.

I can't get the cam to 'follow behind' the chara(s) and do that little 'trail' effect, sometimes refered to as smoothing(I think).

:::::::::::::-(I learnt more jap watching anime then I did when I was doing jap classes at school---see, when someone (like ya parents-I'm only 15) tell ya to get of the comp tell them that it's educational, not just entertainment.)

___
====================== <(.,.)>
(-)

^
^
^
Monkey(Me)

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 04:22
well the monkey didn't work, damn.

<(.,.)>
__\#/

(ignore the underscore.)

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 02:20
k, Anyone there??? help me, stick cam thing, need desperate help. Anyone., (I'll cry, lol)

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 03:18
Position the camera at object position x(objnum),object position y(objnum),object position z(objnum)-100,stick it in the main loop.

Check out the "set camera to object orientation" and "point camera" as well...

Ultimately,you will want to make your own move commands so it can implement better to your game than the built-ins.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 03:25
Here's how I do it:

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 03:26
Uses WASD and mouselook...Feel free to use it.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 04:44
yeah thanks. I'll send you the code of what I've done so far and you can fix it for me. sorry peeps for all the trouble. But right now I'm @ school, I'll send it when I get home.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 11:39
rem **camera movement with chara**
xx=object position x(1)
yy=object position y(1)
zz=object position z(1)
position camera xx-56,yy+40,zz-60
point camera xx, yy+40, zz

thats what the cam code is and the rest (eg,set camera to object orientation) I deleted cause it didn't work that well. lol

What's ya e-mail R. Vegeta and actarus, I'll send the whole thing to ya through e-mail.(the objects as well).
(240 kb zipped, so it shouldn't be too much too download.)

please do, it would help me much. thanks.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 05:54
rem Begin main loop
repeat
rem camera movement with chara
if keystate(19) then gosub run
if upkey()=1 then x#=newxvalue(x#,a#,1) : z#=newzvalue(z#,a#,1)
if downkey()=1 then x#=newxvalue(x#,a#,-1) : z#=newzvalue(z#,a#,-1)
if leftkey()=1 then a#=wrapvalue(a#-5.0)
if rightkey()=1 then a#=wrapvalue(a#+5.0)

rem Update character
y#=get ground height(1,x#,z#)+50.0
position object 1,x#,y#,z#
yrotate object 1,a#

rem Position camera to the back of the character
cx#=newxvalue(x#,wrapvalue(a#+180),90)
cz#=newzvalue(z#,wrapvalue(a#+180),80)
cy#=get ground height(1,cx#,cz#)+120.0
position camera cx#,cy#-20,cz#-10

rem Point camera at object
point camera x#,y#,z#
sync

I got the cam to stick behind(found that code in a 3rd perason tutorial), everything works now. Thanks to all. the joy, lol

right now I'm making wireframes for charas. . .
When you convert it to .x format do you need to rename it to .3ds or something cause it doesn't convert the .max files(I think).bye for now, be back in 3-5 days, got to regulate my internet hours(got a dodgy plan).

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 06:40
.max as in 3d studio max files. and when I save as .3ds and convert to .x and try to load it on db nothing happens and when I open the .x file with notepad this:happens:::::

>>>>>>
xof 0302txt 0064
Header {
1;
0;
1;
}

<<<<<

thats what it says on notepad.

I don't think I converted it right, shouldn't it have more giberish <@#$%^&*() etc.> , (mind my wierd crazy talk)

anyway the game I'm making will probably be finish middle next year or the simple version early next year. (I'm working on my own, ... Sob Sob (cry)-----it's taking ages making wireframes and fixing bugs in programs... I'm just getting the hang of 3d studio max and DB (that I'm sort of familiar from my past Quick basic programming.))

oh well, at least I can say I'm doing something productive.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 11:58
wav 2 mp3 mp3 to wav

http://www.mthreedev.com/
freeware

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 11:42
can anyone please tell me how to convert to .x files properly with 3d studio max 5

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 16:03
Hmm well was gonna explain howto achieve that, but your currently have 2 answers

you're using the Max4 Exporter with Max5 no doubt - i'd suggest you download the DirectX9 SDK Extra's Pack, but don't expect grand compatibility

try to play to get your own code working because you can position interpol with the camera position x(),y() & z() commands using an oldcamx#,y#,z# system
all depends on the look your going for doesn't it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 16:04
oh and personally i use CoolEdit 2k3 for changing formats cause i can alter a few things along the way.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 11:25
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1>>>try to play to get your own code working because you can position interpol with the camera position x(),y() & z() commands using an oldcamx#,y#,z# system
all depends on the look your going for doesn't it
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
whats all that mean about camera.^(need a more simplified explanation)anyway, I'm pretty sure it has something largely to do with 3d studio max

2>>>CoolEdit 2k3, where can I get it and how much($).

3>>>Do I really need to download DirectX9 SDK Extra's Pack, cause can't find it.

4>>>lastly what does interpol mean.

guess all these question make me look even stupider. lol.
sorry everyone

and also, thanks indi for that link. that helped me out a bit, all the ones I found where trial things like 5 wavs and 5 mp3's and then you got to pay or delete. thanks everyone

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 15:48
oki ...

the camera movement can be made smooth a number of ways, one way is to interpol ... which uses 3 sets of coordinates, Current XYZ - Old XYZ - Speed XYZ
Now to interpol a value your basically taking 2 values you know and rather than complexly calculating where it will go - what you do is calculate a basic movement. Kinda like letting the computer know two points for definate, and leaving it to just estimate the points between.
You know the current XYZ and the speed XYZ, this gives you where the movement is TO ... you then use the Old XYZ as the FROM point. And then move the camera based on a curve value to move towards the current point + speed however you decrease its ACTUAL speed for moving to that point by a multiplication
That will give the same sort of gradual slowdown.

Now there is a very good reason i don't simply give you the code for this - because what the tutorials have done is already outline a way to achieve this, but not explained how it works. You should be able to now take a look at the tutorial, sit down about the math used and what you've now been told and be able to understand a bit better WHY it does what it does. There are far more applicational uses for Interpolation rather than just on the cameras which you'll no doubt learn down the road.

CoolEdit 2k3 is avaiable from http://www.syntrillium.com ... latest version is CoolEdit 2.0 Pro and i think its like $40

you should be able to download the DirectX9 SDK Extra's pack from http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 11:57
cool, thanks R. Vegeta

yay, I'm downloading Direct x 9 SDK Extras pack now, and I hope it works. With the interpol thing, I get what it does now, I also found a cammand called interpolisation(object #) (something among those lines anyway), something for smoothing animation( i can't notice much difference though). the camera problem I fixed using curveangle() seems to do what I hoped anyway. with all these problems I'm having, I'm having one of the most memorable moments of my life. Thank you R. vegeta, When I complete my game do you mind if I add a special thanks to Raven Vegeta aka(enter Real name here) bit in the credits bit.

I don't think I'll get cool edit yet, I need to save up for a comp upgrade.

I'll be putting screenshots of my game soon, When I get time I'll make my site(and look for a FREE place to put it.)

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 12:18
just installed Direct x 9 sdk extras, how do I work it, I got windows XP and it doesn't have dos.

I tried the dos prompt and the menu to convert 3ds to .x shows up but I can't input anything so I tryed the old open dos program with a command trick (eg:cd\hsdgf\sdaf\enter path here/(notice the other slash)enter command herein this case -x)

then it comes up with error message saying that the "file /-x unreadable", so I think that means I can't do it that way, I'm out of ideas I can't open it normally it just closes as soon as I double click(Xp thing I think).

sorry for the yet another stupid problem that I can't fix.
many apologies for my lack of ability. very sorry to have to ask so many questions.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 16:21
no ... check the precompiled Exporters
if they don't work they're in code form as well so you can tinker and get them to work exactly how you want them to.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 14:39
ok, I'll play around with them, see what happens.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 04:15
<A HREF="http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/.html">http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/</A>

my website on the game, please go to it.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 04:17
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/.html

thats the url, the link didn't work. Sorry.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 04:19
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/

damn. thats the url you guys have to type in, sorry again.

(THIS ONE:http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/)

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 04:30
and I'll post my plee here as well.

I'm almost about to finish a model in 3d studio max 5. When I finish it can the someone that hopefully volunteers to help me convert it for me. just leave your e-mail here. You can use the model for whatever you want if you do, provided you tell me first.

please someone help, I need someone to convert a model for me. (i'll send you the .max file thru e-mail)

heres my site on the game that I'm making (Sorry, I know the site is pretty boring, I made it in less than an hour.)

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/

Please note:a similar post is in a topic under team(like this one) request.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:31:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:31:38