Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Which is better...Classic or Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 07:03
Which one is better to actually make the games from if I buy full version. (Also, I am learning on the Classic version.)
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 07:37
DBP is compiled and generally faster. It also have more capabilities than DBC as well as having new stuff written for it while DBC is rather static.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 09:26 Edited at: 1st Jul 2004 09:27
Although basically the same syntax, I prefer seeing them as two different languages. DBC has been proven, and I believe it was much more forgiving with code syntax and structure. 2D was a breeze and fairly straight-foward. As I have said before, I think this has more to do with the way directX 7 & prior seperated DirectDraw and Direct3D. DBpro can be finicky at times, and 2d sprites are actually flat 3D acclerated plains. But with that increase in speed comes some housekeeping and responsibilty. I found it more difficult moving from dbc to pro, because you get used to coding a certain way and when you move to pro it's hard to figure out what's wrong. Some patience, reading, asking questions, and reading posts can help make the transfer smoother.
If it's not going to break your bank, I think that pro is the best choice. It still has some kinks, but the support (especially as of late) has been incredible, and future plans are scheduled to enhance it at a rapid rate. I think it will take a few more months for the DBpro game submissions to get to a level that we have seen with DBC, and really I think that we will see some higher quality apps. This is not to suggest DBC is anything less than a great package. It's been proven to be capable of producing some really fun and fluid games. The way I see it, you will win either way.

~zen

Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 12:50
I've given numerous reasons before: DBC

Ragnarok89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 23:11
Ok, looks like ill be getting DBC cause I'm buyin from a friend for 20 bucks
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2004 03:09
Thanks Zen,

For your dissertaion on the whole switching thing, I've been wondering about this for a while now. I got DBC mostly to "try it out" first before getting Pro, and I must say I'm enamored by the whole process. I find it an easy to use and a flowing creation, if a bit buggy in spots that sometimes annoy me. Overall, I find myself thinking it's good to have both in your arsenal, for if you need the advanced stuff it's wonderful but the lower end material is great too.

That's just my two-cents worth, I love the language and the pure fun of it, so I'd say try either one as your budget allows...

s.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2004 06:10
Yeah DBC is good enough to make a lot of game types (puzzle games, shooters, etc.) but for high end stuff you might need Pro. I use DBC for most things, but I am using Pro for my RPG.

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2004 11:59
Im making a 3D RPG in DBC. Is that a bad idea then? Its all going quite well. What would be the advantage of making it in Pro?

Infra-Dark
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2004 13:19 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2004 13:23
Well, if what Kain says is correct and your game is expected to have a lot of fast moving action, then Pro might be the way to go. If on the other hand it's more puzzle based with only short segments of action you could probably get away with Classic. Like he said, it depends on the type of game, the expected hardware and the overall play speed you're looking for.

[Edit] I should point out, that at least for myself so far, I've had to make a point of slowing down my DBC, by using waits or other means to make my programs run more slowly. But of course, I haven't built a large scale project yet.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2004 14:25
Quote: "Im making a 3D RPG in DBC. Is that a bad idea then? Its all going quite well. What would be the advantage of making it in Pro?"

Well, its just that RPGs are usually fairly graphicaly intense. High detail models, big spell effects, large levels. Despite all of its flaws, Pro is just plain faster than DBC. If you run into speed issues you may need to convert later on.

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2004 03:27
Do you think I should move this project to Pro then?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=31260&b=8

Infra-Dark

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 15:20:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 15:20:22