Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / It has begun!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2004 15:23
Are they serious about those 80 % of the game completed ?
Because I think if somebody would like to do "Zelda - A link to the past", it will be really difficult to do 80 % of it.

I am surely not trying to do that, but if I try something, I allready know the game (it's something, that was rarely redone)

- Mind the gap -
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2004 23:13 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2004 23:21
Quote: "@Pincho, any links to that DB version so I can size it up, then retreat into my corner and wimper at the task before me "

@Lampton Worm
It was on RGT, so it is probably lost. It was by Startopian. It might have been on here as well. I think it was called Death Chase 2000

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2004 02:12
Well guys, a little advice if you didnt know, but, when you've chosen your game, I suggest you register about it here:

http://www.dreamcodex.com/rrcompo/list.php

Reserve your game for yourself and yourself alone, just so you dont have competition for that one game (though I'm sure there will be anyway).

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2004 03:57
emailed Firaxis so hopefully will find out monday if i should choose something else.

You guys gonna be using DBP?, Cause I think this time I'm gonna cut loose and use C++ w/Dx9.0

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2004 05:45 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2004 05:45

wouldn't i have to learn it first?

anyway there are only three months in this compo and i can't start for a week or so(finishing up the acoders compo...),...so i'm using DBPro

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2004 06:51
Hehee... yeah i was just wondering if people were using Blitz3D/PureBASIC/Java etc...

I mean any language is acceptable
Over the next month i'm going to try and get a few basic *upgradeable* retro games completed in DBP.

Right now, Wolf3D/Elite/Space Invaders are the three i'm aiming for.

Wolf3D turning into a modifiable game engine, kinda like Quake but a more basic level system.
Elite i'm giving MMO capabilities, so people will submit new ships/weapons/etc... basically just make it a fun v.basic mmo
Space Invaders just adding a bit of something-something, just to jazz it up.

should be fun for a week.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2004 08:27
Im working on my Megaman Redemption. I know it's been listed, but not mine (its based on megaman 2 of the NES), so far I've drawn a few sprites, mixed some bad-ass music and sound effects

Does anyone know how to make the .exe smaller, I mean, dbpro makes it 3.7mb (compressed media) already! I'm only using mp3/wav/bmp/png/jpg and sprites, bitmaps.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2004 02:30
Okay, I've put myself down on that list. I'm doing a game called ChopLifter

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2004 10:02
Hehe, don't worry about the 10mb size limit. Make your game as big as you want. But be sure the .zip is smaller then 10mb. Code your game to "download" the remaining 100+mb from your own site or ftp account No rules broken

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 19:24 Edited at: 5th Jul 2004 19:25
Got mine pretty much up & running (well the main game that is).
Still to do is the local & global hiscore table (thats why I did the mySQL plug-in - as a sort of test), and name entry...

Its somewhat annoying - the full program comes to around 108K, but DBPro adds on another 6Mb...

Well, at least I've got some space for music...

The place for great plug-ins and things.
Availiable : mySQL Interface plug-in.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 22:21 Edited at: 5th Jul 2004 22:22
I'm not being secretive anymore. My game is Splat!, a ZX Spectrum game. Gonna do an identical remake AND a 3D remake. Already ripped the graphics out. Managed to rip the BASIC program that controls most aspects of the game. Luckily the game levels are in a fairly easy to understand format to save me manually creating them (which is nice). Luckily Spectaculator Spectrum emulator allows you to save sounds as WAVS so game will even sound identical even down to the YIPPEE! sound at the end of each level.

Next task is to put my speccy hat on and understand some of the BASIC code that controls the semi-random maze movement.

Not bad for a few evenings work. Need to get the remake version out of the way as quick as possible to spend time on the super-duper 3D version. Would also like some to time left to add some extra bonus levels.

Boo!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 04:02
Quote: "I'm not being secretive anymore. My game is Splat!, a ZX Spectrum game"
I remember that one! Wasn't the cassette blue with a big black splat on it, erm, with some reflective metal stuff on some parts of it.... was pretty good if I remember rightly. Wasn't it something like the screen moved around you, but you had to keep away from the edges whilst negotiating the maze or somesuch. Heh, all I really remember was it was almost impossible to load. It *was* an original (and I would dig it out if my parents hadn't given *everything* to a charity shop - choke), just another example of shoddy production at the time.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 04:30
Yep, that's the one! You can play original on line on WOS website ( http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=splat )
That reflective cassette inlay is there for you to look at aswell!

Boo!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 04:37
Quote: "Hehe, don't worry about the 10mb size limit. Make your game as big as you want. But be sure the .zip is smaller then 10mb. Code your game to "download" the remaining 100+mb from your own site or ftp account No rules broken "

Nice. So if the judges ask, tell them the game takes a while to load the first few times. Or if they notice the game content change, tell them it's a new feature, a true Real Dynamic World.

-----------------------
On a more serious note. I'm just looking for anything that won't require me to model humans as that usually sucks up 1-2 weeks for me.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 07:32
woah, 6mb added? wonder why...
still waiting for confirmation from firaxis, but i'll start my game one Friday regardless.

been having fun playing Pirates! again, but the only version I could find was the Gensis/MegaDrive version. Still good enough to recall everything.
wish i could find my Pirates! Gold Cd, but oh well. Think my brother had nicked it.

Well be cool to see everyones elses entries ^_^

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 07:48
I really hate the 10mb limit. Why?

Darkbasic executable = 6mb
Moving unused DLLS = -2mb
Each level = 70kb each
Each enemy = 200kb each
Each soundtrack = 200kb each
Sound effects = 1.2mb total

6mb-2mb+(11 x 70kb)+(12 * 200kb)+(11 * 200kb)+1.2mb

4mb + 0.75mb + 2.34mb + 2.14mb + 1.2mb

Total: 10.43mb

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 08:21
The 10mb limit is the ZIP size, not all your bits and pieces. You should be able to write a massive game in 10mb.

Boo!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Pirates! Gold "

Ah, that was a great game! I loved dueling for the hot women in each town

Also enjoyed visiting bars, governs, attacking ports and ships.

Classic.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 08:24 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 08:25
No, its the zip size

Why dont they allow .RAR or better compressions. Zip sucks

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 08:29
Emperor Baal, download this... basically it'll half the size of your executable and still zip down further.

it isn't an official thing and *may* cause problems so be sure to backup your original dlls first; but it'll help take away that edge other developers have

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 08:35
Ive tried it, but then windows says "illegal operation" or something. But, Im not finished yet, the size above is just an speculation.

I've only finished 1 level, 3 enemies, 3 backgrounds, 2 sound tracks, 4 megaman sprites and 3 sound effects. And its 6.2mb zipped now. I can cut off 2mb at most, but I will try to use maximum compression possible (png, mp3, lower sample rate, etc).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 13:02
did you make sure to update to 5.4 first?
If you did then please contact me at bugs@puffinteractive.com, as I want to make sure this is a stable release for everyone.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 19:32
I havent updated to 5.4 yet , I find 5.2 a little more stable. But I will update soon, if the executable is smaller

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 19:34
Its about the same size...

The place for great plug-ins and things.
Availiable : mySQL Interface plug-in.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:32:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:32:22