Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Music Collection Cataloguer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 01:26 Edited at: 5th Jul 2004 01:27
Has anyone put the information from their tape, album or CD collections into a computer so they can get ordered lists?

Does anyone know of a free program to do it so you can easily update the entries and get sorted lists by Artist Name, Album, Year, Genre and Media in any order?

If you have any decent method to do this please post it.

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I do have a way to do this, but I use VB for stuff like that. It only takes about 20 minutes.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 02:40
Do you not have Microsoft Access or Excel.

Boo!
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 04:23 Edited at: 5th Jul 2004 04:25
I do not. They cost money. Maybe you got them with your computer, but I only got Word 97 and Money with my first Wintel (July 1997 NEC) and I've built my others except for my Compaq laptop wich didn;t come with either one.

Spooky I can see how one might fashion a spread sheet or a database for this purpose, but isn't there a dedicated program?

Pincho 20 minutes in VB is amazing, as I estimate 5 days in Dark BASIC after the project design is completed.

Peace, the anti-Bush.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 04:34
http://vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Controls/S_Grid_2/Music_Library/article.asp

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 05:59 Edited at: 5th Jul 2004 06:03
Close, David T. That app tracks MP3 songs, (tested on a database of over 7,000 songs!!!!), and uses the ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags present on some mp3s for input.

I'm sure that this one may be able to be used for my purposes, but not efficiently as my LPs, CDs, cassette tape and VHS tapes that I need to catalogue don't have these tags to be read.

Thanks though, I did find the complete (?) genre list of mp3 categories at that site. http://vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/vbMedia/Audio/Reading_and_Writing_MP3_ID3v1_and_v2_Tags/article.asp

scratcch that first part about using this app...
Quote: "Anyway, as it stands this application doesn't fulfil the second point (for a start, "playing" is just enqueueing to WinAmp, and there's no Find facility nor tag editing yet) but it is fine for the first. "
NO TAG EDITING!!!

Peace, the anti-Bush.
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Obviously this is an application that is hard to find. I guess I'd better get programming. I hope that someone does not now find a good solution after I get a lot of work done.

I just finished! 6 years of encoding hundreds of my LP's, compact cassettes, and ripping my CD's into custom compilations. Now I need some order. I also have a couple of hundred VCR tapes from over the past 20 or so years that could use a bit of cataloging, or at least the 50+ VCDs that I recently produced from them.

Peace, the anti-Bush.
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
I found something nice to use.
MUSIC DATABASE

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 00:06
iTunes

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:42:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:42:49