Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3 things that are imposible

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 04:00
i've been working but it seems imposible i tried it countless times
(1)how would you make it to where on the main menu you click on the end button and it closes the game.(2)how would i make it to where there are 3 more characters but it's not an rpg they just follow you and anytime there are bad dudes they help kill um.(3)how would i make it to where theres 1 spell button and to change the spell you go to the menu and select it.

jacob warren
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 05:05
I'll try and answer your questions

(1) I would use the mousex() and mousey() commands and check if they are in the region of the button when it is clicked.

Example:
[/code]if mouseclick() = 1 and mousex() > 100 and mousex() < 300 and mousey() > 100 and mousey() < 300 then end[code]

(2) Each character would check their state every frame or so. Check the distance between them and each enemy. If they are within a set distance of an enemy they will enter an attack state meaning that they would move towards (and attack) that enemy. If they are not within the set distance of an enemy they will remain in a passive state meaning that they would move towards your player.

(3) A little more tricky. Either you would have to create some menu functions (which can be tricky to look good) and write them in a way so that they could be customised for use in other programs aswell. Alternatively you could use key presses to cyle through the spells meaning you would have a single logo/word representing the spell currently selected (the latter option is much easier).

Hope I've been of some help
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 05:44
All of those are possible, the first one is very easy, the other two take abit of logical thinking. Robo cat has explained them pretty well though.

SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 05:51
And on #1, you close the game by executing the statement END which shuts down everything.
S.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 08:40 Edited at: 5th Jul 2004 09:54
AH! Attack of the weird animated avaters!

Good advice by the way ReD_eYe and the robotic cat.

Infra-Dark
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 09:53
thanks robo cat i still need to know (2) and (3) though. robo cat do you want credit in the game, if it sounds like a promising game mail me at badgerpoker@pldi.net

jacob warren
Monzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 10:14
catchy post title .. but 3 very easy things

http://monz.adsl.dk
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 11:29
oh if it's easy then do it i don't care if you show me just honestly tell me that you did.

jacob warren
shado
Years of Service
User Offline
following isnt hard just have then point themselves to your player and then move them. then check for the nearest enemy and how far away that enemy is. if its within a distance attack it. if u want it to head towards the enemy then have it point towards the enemy and then move

and i dont get what u mean by 3

Web graphics for free and sale at www.webunlimited.tk
Raver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 09:25
everything is possible..you just make a workaround..if they all thought like you..then we wouldnt have been playing scrolling multi level games on a 48k spectrum!!

djwheeler
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 03:48
i still don't understand #2

jacob warren
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 04:19
If you are relatively new to Dark Basic then it would be best to start off simple.

Start with just you walking around.

Then have enemies simply chasing you.

When you get to friendly characters actually helping you then the stuff you learnt doing the enemies chasing you can be adapted.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:36:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:36:09