Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dont understand Tiles and how to make tile based games.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 13:05
Hi, I like many other newcomers to DB am having trouble trying to understand Tile Based programming. I was trying to read the multiple post that already exist but they dont quite help me. If anyone has some solid info that could help some noobs that would be awesome.

Also some questions that I have....
1) Does Tile based games run faster
2) Is it easy to make 2d lv/track editors if you use a Tile based system for your game...
3) Is Pac-man a Tile Based game.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 13:26 Edited at: 5th Jul 2004 13:27
Skeletor,
I would like to invite you to read my live tutorial, currently a sticky in the "2d All the Way" board. But I will try to answer your questions here as well.

1) Do tile based games run faster?
Not necessarily, but they can. But that relies more upon how much of the world is visible at any given time. Like if you have a GUI or menu bar and such, therby reducing the actual scrolling area. Though if your tiles are sprites (in DBpro), you could see a speed increase over say a large bitmap. But you could also texture a flat plain to take advantage of the 3d acceleration.

The real speed increase comes in the development time, collision handling, world creation. If you have a good tileset you can literally create 100's of levels from them, rather than having to draw many huge 1 use bitmaps. Secondly, the size of the media is usually reduced as the same graphic tiles will be used over and over in real-time, much more efficient than larger bitmaps for each level. Like I said, the key is that the tile map can contain a lot of information just in the structure of the 3d-array itself, including collision, drawing order etc...
Also it's faster to modify levels and create new ones.

2) Is it easy to make 2d lv/track editors if you use a Tile based system for your game...
I would say yes. But it might depend upon more specifics as to what your needs are.

3) Is Pac-man a Tile Based game?
Yes pac-man was a tile-based game. Though they were not able to use sprites, that's why the back-ground was black. If you saw the pac-man frames on white back-gorund you would have seen the black rectangle around him.

~zen

Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 13:07
Thx Zen
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 13:25
Your welcome.

If you do visit the tutorial, of which I just completed chapter 1, let me know what you think. I think it would be a good time to follow it because Chapter 2 start's off on teaching how to build your own tile-map maker.

~zen

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:39:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:39:50