Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dark Basic Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 20:14
Hi,

I have a few questions about DB, it's limitations and capabilities. I know mutliplayer would require DB buying the enhancement pack it will, and DBPalso. I am still looking for the ehancement pack with DBPalso.

1. Can a game be made using DB with DBPalso, that could be played as a multiplayer online game? What types of server/network(s) would be compatible with DB? (Any ideas for a server/network would be helpful.)

2. Can a trading card game be made using DB? The game is a turn-based game, having a set number of turns, strategy game. The game would let you create your own decks and would require the cards to be shuffled before the start of the match. Is this possible with DB?

Maybe is should not be "can" or "possible" questions, it should be realistic creating someting like this with DB. All answers and help are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 01:25
In DB you can get DarkMATTER1, which has multiplayer commands, DBPro has multiplayer commands built-in, but they're certainly not easy to get used to.

Your game idea is fine for DB, you can actually go a whole lot further, but it's good to start with something you can get your teeth into. For shuffling the deck for example, you'd simply select 2 random cards and swap them, do this 100 times and you have a nicely shuffled deck - using a simple array system will make your project nice and neat.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 02:57 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 02:58
If youre interested I have an entry in the Code Base for Playing Card loading, using arrays, types, and adjusting via an external setting. Its pure dbp code not using my plugin. It may be of some use to you. I didn't include a recursive routine that pulls cards from the deck(s) randomly but only gets cards that are unused (via the .IsUsed property in the Card Type) but if you need that i can always post it here. Just let me know. The code is in an include file and requires no coding in your main code other than 1 call to the Init routine.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_view&i=3ad5fdf422f8760be4d724be871866f4

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - July, 2004 * Click Logo
Dan Gable
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 22:18
Hi,

Thank you for your very helpful answers. I am new to DB and I am still learning it. In other Game Creations Systems, I have found that multiplayer online play is limited. I am still curious about what the limitations are using DB. It would be for more than 100 players. Using DB with DarkMATTER1 sounds interesting. It maybe be better than DBPro. What are the pro and cons between the two, and also the limitations?

Card shuffling by "select 2 random cards and swap them, do this 100 times and you have a nicely shuffled deck - using a simple array system will make your project nice and neat" also sounds very nice. Also I would be interested in "An entry in the Code Base for Playing Card loading, using arrays, types, and adjusting via an external setting. Its pure dbp code not using my plugin." That sounds very cool.

I am just trying to find the right program so I don't want waste my time anymore. I like the things I have heard. I would like to hear more comments and suggestions. I really appreciate the responses and information, they have been helpful. I would like to hear more. Thank you in advance.
Dan Gable
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 21:42
Hi,

What would be better to use for a multiplayer, online, strategy, turned-based, card game, DB with DarkMATTER1 or DBPro? What are the pro and cons between the two, and also the limitations?

This game will be played in real-time. I would like to get opinions from anyone who has used or know about using DB for multiplayer games. Any suggestions, thoughts, and impute is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 22:41
DBPro is a far superior product to DBC:

DBP creates real asm exe's
DBP is faster with more features (including tpc support)
DBP is still being upgraded/improved with no end in sight

(the list could go on fo miles)

good luck in your endeavours

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - July, 2004 * Click Logo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:37:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:37:25