Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / i am a U 5.4 victim

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 04:57
Hi, the most don't remember me, i'm a db user from 1999 , - Ermesdesign.

I don't know how in Italy works for the connection, but i can't unlock the U 5.4 , i still can connect to the server but i can't send information on the server.

it's about 3 hours i'm losing time instead to make something of usefull, unable to connect to the server , unable to connect to the server...

Can't ceck the cd and let the upgrade works??? there's an incredible ability to take the simply things and make it complicated.

then if someone want to help me, it will be welcome.

(i must say i think U 5.4 it's hopeless like U 5.2, U 5.3, but just for try, the best u was the U 5.)

Free Download for a Free World
go to my www to play RAVEN, THE FLIGHT OF RAVEN and SUNDAY DRIVERS
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 05:02
Quote: "(i must say i think U 5.4 it's hopeless like U 5.2, U 5.3, but just for try, the best u was the U 5.)
"

I don't think there was a 5.3 o_O
and 5.2 was the best one.

Sorry I can't help Ermes. You could ofcourse, move to Canada, and it will work from here.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 05:21
Quote: "Hi, the most don't remember me, i'm a db user from 1999 , - Ermesdesign."

I remember you

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 05:35
I remember you too, you're Sunday Driver game would have to be the best DBPro game I've ever played!

As for your 5.4 problem, there's a thread in DBPro about 5.4, and theres a little section in the latest newsletter on how to install it. If its just a connection problem, maybe its your firewall. If that isn't it though, maybe you should email Rich about it.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 12:04
I also remember you, and don't get me started on how you're racist and extremely sexist.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 13:00
We're not here to point and judge, ppl.
There is a thread about activation, if you have a question please post it in there; this forum is for general topics not general bitching.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 17:49
Ok then Exeat, we won't get you started, so please keep the negative comments out when they're clearly not necessary.

Nice to see you back Ermes, hope you get the upgrade working.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 17:55
You wrote the sunday driver game?

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 18:12 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 18:17
Quote: "k then Exeat, we won't get you started, so please keep the negative comments out when they're clearly not necessary."

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd read some of the things he's posted.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 18:25
hi folks, i see the problem is my internet connection.
At work, the update works.
At home, it don't work.

So, i haven't problems with the upgrade, but with the connection.
Some of you know how it must be setted??

Raven nice to see you haven't changed a bit.

Hi Van-b, nice to see you! I hope you're feeling good, i remember you're one of the nicest of the forum.

Thanks at all of you to remember my game, Sunday drivers, i've making a kind of sequel, not really Sunday Drivers 2.

The Lynx: yes, i'm the one who make Sunday Drivers, by the way, the game is published this month on TheGameMachine magazine all over Italy.

Exeat: oh, well, don't be so hard with me.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 18:26
Quote: "(i must say i think U 5.4 it's hopeless like U 5.2, U 5.3, but just for try, the best u was the U 5.)
"

No real problems with 5.4 here

Quote: "Can't ceck the cd and let the upgrade works???"

Are you saying that the CD wont read or that you've lost the CD ?

The place for great plug-ins and things.
Availiable : mySQL Interface plug-in.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 18:51 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 18:52
Exeat,
I have read the particular thread your thinking off, and I did'nt get that impression about Ermes, in fact it seemed more to me like Ermes was tagged from the start and everyone psycho-analysing every post he made dragged the thread down to playground stuff. There are far stronger opinions and attitudes on the forum to contend with. Personally I have no time for political correctness, and sexism in the UK or America might not be considered the same in Italy - I would'nt say Ermes views were that radical, just a difference in culture that got amplified.

EDIT:Congrats on the media coverage Ermes!

Van-B

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 18:59 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 19:00
Quote: "So, i haven't problems with the upgrade, but with the connection.
Some of you know how it must be setted??"

Sounds like the firewall to me... Depending on what OS you've got, you could have up to three running at once (like me - the router, Windows Firewall & the firewall within the anti-virus program). Mind you, with all those active, I didn't have a problem.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 19:10 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 19:11
thanks Van-B, right and nice as ever.

The Coding Area: hi, i've the cd, i,ve understand what i have to do , but it is the connection my problem.

It's like my provider has an automatic firewall i can't disable, so i can't connect to the server.

I haven't any antivirus runnig.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 19:15
Quote: "don't get me started on how you're racist and extremely sexist"

Not every country holds the same values true to their heart, also Ermes did have difficulty in expressing himself in English. I saw one thread where he was accused of being sexist, but really, I saw it as linguistic in that he was missunderstood.

Who's really racist then? The person who cannot express themselves, or the person who refuses to make an effort to understand the one talking in a foreign language.

I remember Ermes well, I also remember that he does those rarest of things. He actually finishes games. That's a rare thing around this particular forum.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 19:30 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 19:32
Quote: "It's like my provider has an automatic firewall i can't disable, so i can't connect to the server"

It could be the port used, if say, its port 25, your ISP could be blocking it... In which case, your a bit stuck...
Have a word with your ISP - seems to be their problem, so they should be able to sort it.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 21:59
Quote: "Exeat,
I have read the particular thread your thinking off, and I did'nt get that impression about Ermes, in fact it seemed more to me like Ermes was tagged from the start and everyone psycho-analysing every post he made dragged the thread down to playground stuff. There are far stronger opinions and attitudes on the forum to contend with. Personally I have no time for political correctness, and sexism in the UK or America might not be considered the same in Italy - I would'nt say Ermes views were that radical, just a difference in culture that got amplified."

Maybe we're talking about different threads because in the one I read he claimed multiple times that girls have no brain and their sole use is for sex. Oh yes, he also said they're only interested in shopping for clothes and shoes and they don't have the brain capacity to become a programmer. Unfortunately this was at a time when we did have girls on the forum and quite a few of them were quite offended at his comments... hmm, I wonder where they are now?

Actually, now that I think of it, I do remember you sticking up for him VanB, I also remember having an argument with you about how overweight people should be allowed to have their own day for swimming when you thought this was being unfair to everyone else who weren't allowed to swim on that one day. I tried to convince you that the media had influenced society's view of people as thin and that overweight people never went swimming because of the insults they received from others. Unfortunately you thought this was unfair to thin people because there was one day out of the 365 in the year that they weren't allowed to swim. I'm going to leave it at that though because we've already had this discussion and we'll be repeating ourselves, obviously we're set on our own viewpoints and it's not going to change.

Likewise, I'm not going to bring the sexist thing up again because it's in the past, I probably shouldn't of brought it up to begin with but I have a habit of holding a grudge.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 22:13
IIRC that's not exactly how he put it, I think he was more impressed that a woman was using DB and his wording was a bit off, like 'Wow, I thought women were more into shopping for shoes' - which given the general role of Italian women in society, I can see where he was comming from - not that anyone is saying it's a good thing, it's just how things are.

Personally when I see a girl posting here I think:
A) Is that really a girl or some weird game someones playing.
B) What's wrong with them.

Anyhoo I recently got an email from the tease in question and her disapearance was more to do with something that happened at LLRGT and her own choices, not here so much. She has no grudges and prefers to paint now. Women huh!!!

But your right, that's all in the past and we should forget it.

Van-B

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 22:25
It could be held to misinterpretation, it was indeed posted at the same time of Geri's rampage and I know I was pretty annoyed during that period of time to probably not want to put up with anything like his post.

Err, there were multiple ladies there though, Bunni and Randi, but I'm not sure if Rose was still around when he posted.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 22:32
I think Raven scared Rose away with his manly advances

Bunni, well let's just say that her twin BROTHER must have posted the exact same question as her on LLRGT .

Traci and Multi are the only propper DB oldbie girls, both have left DB although Traci is still out there making games, dunno about Multi (She was scary, the amount of tellings off I got from her when I was a newbi!).

Van-B

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 22:44
Ahh, I don't go to LLRGT so I wouldn't know about that then lol. And yeah, Traci and Multi haven't been here for a long, long time... there were also a couple others that just mysteriously disappeared: LadyIce and another who's name is on the tip of my toungue.

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 22:47 Edited at: 7th Jul 2004 15:59
Didn't Ermes start the thread where Randy sent her Pic ?

By the way I really liked your game. And I remember somebody calling you a hippie, when you posted your picture. lol

- Mind the gap -
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 00:35
ah yes, a hippie! Now i'm more hippie than before.

Exeat, please, be sure of what you say on me.
However, nevermind, the difference could be i my poor english words.

I think i've sayed something bad at Exeat in the past.

Andy Igoe: Thanks , i'm pleased of your words, i must say Banshee are the greatest coders here: a lot of good games and all free!!!!!!! (i've read somewhere here people ask 9$ for a game, when budget games 1000 times better are 15$....)

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 03:57
Quote: "I think Raven scared Rose away with his manly advances"

i still talk to Rose, she keeps asking what's going on in the forum; she really doesn't have the time to come online anymore. Didn't realise just how time consuming teaching jobs were when your doing them full-time.

LadyIce is kinda still around here, although I can't be sure; I believe she is now passing herself off as someone else.
Though it did kinda irk me when she just disappeared for a while, cause she said she'd ask around for a job for me and never got back to me about it (I could've been working in Southern Canada, oh well things still have worked out alright)

Randi is one that guys scared away. I see her on yahoo! when i'm on it and talk to her occasionally, i think Fallout might still talk to her as they were gettig pretty friendly from what i heard from her. It is a shame ppl ran her out though cause her games were cool (and so were those Floobles or whatever they were, the things that looked like Gonzo)

There are also of lasses who've kinda just backed away from here because of the help they didn't get; or from the letchy attitudes; or simply because of work issues.

I think it's a miricle and a half I finally convinced De back into the IRC room, but now she's thinking of taking the step into the forum past reading. Just have to hope she isn't treated poorly like the rest of the girls.

ya know until I came to this forum i knew there were girls around, but i never actually knew who they were... and to be honest didn't think it ever really mattered.
but after seeing what guys behave around girls when they know, must say it kind matters now; if only to make sure they don't listen to the twats of the forum.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 04:12 Edited at: 7th Jul 2004 04:13
Quote: " Didn't Ermes start the thread where Randy sent her Pic ?"

He started it, but it was to clear up that he wasn't Geri (someone used his email address to fake an email to randi saying he was Geri). But really, that was the thread where I acted more perverted than usual and ended scaring Randi from the forums

My fault on that matter, she was one of the better DB coders too -_-

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 16:48
by the way, i made it.
I've installed U5.4 on a machine with a different connection than the one at my home, then i copied the compiler folder from the computer has a working connection into my home computer, and it works.

For the girls in the forum, and the question Geri/ Randi ecc ecc i still think some of the users here are big nerds.
I was talking about how i was surprised to find girls coding DB, i was pleased of this surprise, i was happy of this.
It's wonderful to talk of matrixs, objects and etc etc with a girl/woman, it's better than talking with some pimpled little boy who's thinking he is the next bill gates.
I write to Randi to make my greets , but some of you here ave the bad behaviour to have a bad feeling when someone who isn't you talking with a girl of talking of girls.
a couple of this nerds are in this topic.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 17:27
Nerds! - Here! - Nah, could'nt be

Van-B

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 17:48
Ach you're right, could'nt be !

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 09:18
Not wishing you disturb your thread of thought here, just wanted to snatch Ermes from you and ask he visit us Thursday to submit his bug regarding the connection failure as we want to look closer at it in case the problem is more widespread that we hope. Just a bug report with as much details on what text is displayed, processes taken to get to the error (if not already done so). Thanks

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 11:34
I find your Darth Vader avatar quite appropriate.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 20:03
I cant imagine Darth Vader saying "We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni", myself...

Are you sensitive enough?
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 20:04
Why, that is the joke though.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 23:09 Edited at: 8th Jul 2004 23:09
Who was that dude? :S

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 01:32
Ehm, Thursday but where??

I've sent a pic of the display, at rich@thegamecreators.com, however i make all like the tutorial:

On my connection at work, all works fine, no bugs or other.
i've to say my work connection cost € 50 at month.

At home, with a free provider, www.libero.it , no way to connect to the server.

Now i'm upgraded to 5.4 , i've copied the files upgraded to my home dbpro, and all works now.
But the connection, no way to make it works.

by the way, what an incredible pleasure to meet Lee in my Topic.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 01:37
Its amazing what chocolate bars can do...

Are you sensitive enough?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:40:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:40:12