Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Honestly No Comments?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 06:05
i think you can guess by the subject, no comments or complaints on the borland c++ 5.5 ide? I mean this is a chance to have direct involvement with software development.

I mean please, if you have any comments or suggestions, no matter how small, please share them, that way i can improve the software acording to what the user wants

Its not a bug, Its a feature

If we were meant to stay in this reality games would not exist!
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 06:08
Quote: "I mean this is a chance to have direct involvement with software development."
..um... everybody here develops software, we already are involved.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 06:09
Ok, yea bad comment by me (d'oh), all i mean is someone out there who downloaded must have something constructive to say about it whther negative or posotive?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 06:40
don't listen to Manticore he was kicked in the head by a horse when he was a kid. (last friday to be exact)

It's not that people aren't about getting into helping someone develop something, but you have to remember that most people here use Dark Basic Professional primarily.
Those who do use C++ majoritively are using Visual C++ or Dev-C++, there are only a very small number of users using Borland C++.

So this probably isn't the best place to get feed back.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 07:07
Quote: "don't listen to Manticore he was kicked in the head by a horse when he was a kid. (last friday to be exact)"
I'm not sure what Raven has against me, but now he'll have a reason to be assinine.

@Raven: You DON'T think people here make software? Hello, DB is a programming language. pro-gramm-ing lang-uage, got that? If your not making software with DB, what are you doing(don't tell me if it's some weird computer feitich).

Note: I was not kicked by a horse, I was born this way

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 07:28
Quote: " If your not making software with DB, what are you doing(don't tell me if it's some weird computer feitich). "

He claims to work for more game companies than you can shake a stick at. Its been proven he hasnt worked at a few he's claimed he has.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 12:26 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 12:27
Actually, out ym typical attitude i'm going to agree with raven for once (what has happened to me???).

Quote: "Raven: You DON'T think people here make software? Hello, DB is a programming language. pro-gramm-ing lang-uage, got that? If your not making software with DB, what are you doing(don't tell me if it's some weird computer feitich). "

Actually, DB is not a programming language. It is a 3d game creation engine.

I love to mastercate/masticate while reading these forums
AKA: Tomassetti13 on LLRGT
AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 12:31
Quote: "DB is not a programming language. It is a 3d game creation engine."
Then what language am I coding in? If so, what's the difference?

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 12:31
I thought it was a BASIC compiler

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 12:48
I thought it was a fancy wordpad

--- Troan ---
|)a l33t n00b!e
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Actually, DB is not a programming language."

If you're trying to say that the language we use is actually BASIC, you're wrong. Yes, we use basic, but we use a version of BASIC called DarkBASIC, thus it is a language.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 12:57
Not that it matters because my post wasn't for your benifit Manticore; but I actually didn't say anything about DB/DBP not being a programming language.

Actually if you'd bother to read (assuming you understand english), you would've seen that I said that asking this community to help him testbed his Borland C++ IDE isn't going to get the best results considering most people here use Dark Basic / Dark Basic Professional for thier development needs.

Ony the DLL users would use Borland C++, which as again I mentioned there aren't an abundance of on this site.

This has nothing to do with ppl here not being programmers as I never said anything of the sort, many of the more formidable coders on here actually program for a living. This has everything to do with this *NOT* being a Borland C++ community.

Sorry Giles for flaming in this thread. I do know a few members here who use Borland C++, could try and direct them to what you've made... but you'd get better response in the Borland Forums.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 13:34
Quote: "assuming you understand english"
Je ne parle pas l'anglais. Qu'est-ce que tu dit, je ne comprend pas.

Quote: "don't listen to Manticore"
So your saying that what I said was wrong, since I said that everyone here develops software, your saying that nobody here develops software. And I know that that is wrong, infact I'm starting a new game at this very moment, CyberTurkey.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 13:37
I should of specified that my above statement was opinionated.

[opinion]DarkBASIC is a 3d Engine, which its syntax is based on the BASIC architecture.

Where do i come upon the this reasoning?

A quote fromhttp://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com
Quote: "DarkBASIC Professional is the most advanced games development package built on the BASIC language currently available."

DarkBASIC may be to some people a programming language, but to me its nothing more then a 3d engine with a BASIC syntax.

Not saying DB is bad though, its an awesome engine, i just don't feel like it has the versatility of a full blown language.[/opinion]

I love to mastercate/masticate while reading these forums
AKA: Tomassetti13 on LLRGT
AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
No Eric, you're right, it doesn't; but it doesn't really NEED to.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 13:48
I recently started using Borlanc C++ 6. I'm on a trial version right now, so I may have to go shell out $100(or more depending on the version/components) on a full boxed package.

Keep it up with your borland ide though. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at it, and it may save me some money if I can use it with a free borland compiler.

Unfortuantly, I'll be gone for the next few weeks, so I'll have no chance to play around with it.

Keep up the good work though. Don't be discouraged by not getting feedback. Raven is right in that few users here have used Borland, let alone here of Borland making a C++ compiler.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 16:40
Yellow, the IDE is designed to work with the C++ 5.5 Command line tools which are free for all.

But, to buy the official IDE by Borland, costs money, so Giles decided to make his own IDE for it

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 17:21
Hope fully I'll get some free time and I can test it and let you know what I think. But it isn't looking like I am going to have any free time soon. Work sux I need to win the lottery or something

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
DB is a programming language, it has extra commands for 3D, this helps to make the games better, but 3D can be used for anything, even a 3D word processor if you like.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 17:44
How do you say this or that is a language, I mean I assume there's a system. Really a language is just something that the compiler takes and understands before turning it into a program - you end up with a program so I would definately say DB is a PROGRAMMING language. I can't type in Japanese and expect the compiler to understand, therefor the BASIC syntax that the compiler expects must be a language. If you want to say that BASIC is a standard and if a language does'nt meet the exact criteria then it's not BASIC, well then there's no such thing as a BASIC language these days.

Even a scripted engine is still a language.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 20:08
DarkBasic Professional is, in part, a programming language

The DBP compiler interprets the high level instructions, written by you.

The High level instructions are written in the programming language. A programming language may also be low-level, or assembler based, for example.

A programming language is independendant of the platform. The compiler is generally tied to the platform, or chipset.

Technically, Dark Basic Professional is not an engine. An engine reads programming scripts and interprets them in real time. Dark Basic Professional programs are compiled, and form an executable unit.

Summary
Dark Basic Professional is a programming language.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 21:19
Quote: "@Raven: You DON'T think people here make software? Hello, DB is a programming language. pro-gramm-ing lang-uage, got that? If your not making software with DB, what are you doing(don't tell me if it's some weird computer feitich). "

There's very little evidence of this being the case. Sure DB is a programming language, but nobody here actually uses it. We just post on forums and get into rows with kids.

Nobody knows why. I suggest it is a programmers phenomenon. Get 100+ people who WANT to make games, give them the tools to do it, let them realise how hard it is and what you get is these forums. A collection of lethargic has beens that have at least one MMORG project folder apiece and a lot of media their artists swetted day and night over making*.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I use DB every day!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 21:58
So do I, Keeps me regular and helps battle colesterole!

Nah, I agree largely with the statement about MMORPGS, I mean when someone actually makes a decent RPG with DB we'll be wondering if the sky is about to fall on our heads.

To get anywhere with DB, you have to like writing games about 20 times as much as you love playing them, this isn't the case with most people who start using DB. FPSC is aimed squarely at most of the newbies here, and I hope they buy it and make some cool games, because a point-n-click game is better than wasting time on no game at all.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 02:32
WOW! I only asked for opinions of my ide and look what i started, lol

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 03:09
Quote: "Actually, DB is not a programming language. It is a 3d game creation engine."

DarkBASIC is a language, which comes with a 3D engine. Nuff' said - I'm not going to argue about this, its a fact.

@Giles

I expect the reason for this is that not many people around here use Borland C++, everyone that I know here uses VC++.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 03:42
Dark Basic / Professional being a Language is really more up to interpretation on what makes a language.

Do you consider 3D GameMaker A6 a Programming Language, or a Scripter with a 3D Engine?
Dark Basic / Professional, really does tred a thin line in this respect because it is based entirely upon a 3D Engine which you cannot turn off.
(Before someone points out Mx7's NoDx, a) that's an intercepter, b) it isn't an official release)

So this means no matter what your doing you *MUST* use thier engine. Infact everything to do with the language is actually a function within this Engine, and not part of the core language.

If you look within the Core.dll, you will notice that everything down to Remarks, Addition and such are actually functions within that DLL.

Really it is upto you how you take that though, personally I would say that make Dark Basic Professional a compiled front-end linker to an engine. I.E. a Basic Syntax Scripter + Engine.

If the engine actually had all of it's core functionality as part of the compiler, then that would mean it would be a thin line.
Dark Basic is, because it is an Interpreted Language; Therefore that is how you expect the language to be, statment programmed then parsered via the Interpreter.
Dark Basic Professional however has been aired as a Compiled Language, which means it should be outputting pure binary then using the engine. Shouldn't be any code interpretation going on.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 04:16 Edited at: 7th Jul 2004 04:17
"So this means no matter what your doing you *MUST* use thier engine. Infact everything to do with the language is actually a function within this Engine, and not part of the core language."

So it its a language then?

can i scream
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 06:42
Quote: " Dark Basic / Professional being a Language is really more up to interpretation on what makes a language."

DarkBASIC Professional = DarkBASIC Language (a variant of old-skool BASIC) + Engine

Whether it is interpreted or compiled is irrelevant in this respect. HTML is a language, but it isn't compiled.

Quote: "So this means no matter what your doing you *MUST* use thier engine"

Really?

Quote: "If you look within the Core.dll, you will notice that everything down to Remarks, Addition and such are actually functions within that DLL."

They are just old functions from the early Alphas which haven't been removed, the compiler now spits out the appropriate machine code for most of that stuff.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:30:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:30:16