Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Would it be o.k. to provid DBC media to people?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 11:50
To all,

Well I am writing a tutuorial that includes how to code a map-maker for tile-based games. I own both DBpro and DBC. For the map-maker I have been using DBC media for many of the tiles. I would like to have people follow along in building an opensource map-maker and wanted to be able to let users from this site download my hand-drawn media for the gui, "As well as the tiles." Would that be a No! No!?

If it is I'll have to draw up my own tiles to supply. I can see why it would be frowned upon to share models from say darkmatter, but what about 2d image media form DBC. Most people here will have either DBC or DBpro, unfortunately DBpro didn't come with as many 2d images.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Sincerely
~Zenassem

Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 16:12
probaly not

Create or Play? You choose!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Probably.....

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 23:51 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 23:55
Hmmm. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Though I was hoping for a mor definate (YES/NO) reply. I guess I'll need to e-mail rich with this one.

My theories on why it shouldn't be a problem.
- If I own DBC and I want to create a program. I can use the images royalty free, right? So if I create a program that creates maps for games, aren't I entitled to use the media in that type of program? I should also mention that I'm not looking to sell the program or the images, it will be free. Not that it changes anything.

- Alot of WIPs and releases have the 2/D media right in a folder that anyone can use. So if I released a my tool and decided to leave the "media" folder unencrypted people woud have the media in it's original format anyway.

- Anyone can grab the 2d media from a game. I could release a game called "B.S. Map" that just had all the tiles I am using displayed on the screen. anyone could screen capture the image, and paste it. Or I could provide the source, so that the program grabs the images from the screen, and saves them to their drive.

Not that I would do any of those, and just because it can be done doesn't mean it's right, but I think it illustrates a point.

Anyway, I will try to get permission. If not I'll be drawing tiles for the next few weeks.

~zen

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 00:12
By the way,

I thought about it a little bit more, and I guess my question could be rephrased as such:

What is my responsibilty/liability when writing games and programs with media included in my DB packages? Do I need to make sure that the media cannot be viewed, copied, stolen? Do I need to make sure that my installer encrypts 2d images/3d models/sounds etc...?

I haven't released a program yet, so this is new to me? I couldn't find any information has to what my responsibilities are, with regard to media provided, in making sure they are hidden.

For example. I use Poser. With Poser you can sell/distrubute morphs for models you have purchased. The key is that you need to package it so that you don't give away the model, thus anyone downloading your morph has to own the original model for it to be useful to them.

Thanks
~Zenassem

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 01:53
DBC media is royalty free. Most of it is actually just collected from various online resources. I don't believe you need to do anything to protect it, and it can be freely distributed.

DBP media is property of TheGameCreators and may not be distributed without their permission (licence in the media directory says so).

DarkMatter/DarkMatter2 media is royalty free. I'm not sure where the line is drawn between between distributing DM media in a game and distributing it as piracy. I think one should just use common sense and protect files when possible.

Generally, it pays off to use compression and encryption of various types to protect your media and file resources.

Shooting for Eternium Man.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 02:11
dbc media is pretty rusty stuff anyway...I would say it's okay

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:41:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:41:48