Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / State Of Origin!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:03
GO NSW GO GO GO!!!

CURRENT PROJECT: Enemy At The Gates
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:07
GO GO GADGETS GO!

Sorry, I felt left out.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:18 Edited at: 7th Jul 2004 20:19
Lol hey van b do u know what state of origin is?

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:25
15 mins in - 6-2 NSW way(w00t!)- and a BIFFO!(Punchup). Great game already!!!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:26
Yup.

It describes my current sitting position?

Nah, it's probably some weird Meriken thing that we don't understand the rules to, like football, baseball, basketball, and the presidential elections.

Van-B

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:33
Is it Ice Hockey?

If so I don't mind the hockey, we even have a local team 'Fife Flyers'.

Van-B

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:33
no mate, i'm an aussie.

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:37
there are two states in australia - The Mighty new south wales and the crappy Queensland. every year they play 3 test matches in rugby league which has caused a feud between the two states. all good players that are born in nsw play for the blues, the same with the queenslanders who play as the morones. i'm a blues fan(N.S.W).
Go Blues GO!!!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:40
Is it Aussie Rules Football?

Is NSW New South Wales?

I've never watched aussie football that much, I just know those aren't mens shorts they have them wearing.

There's this aussie theme pub along the road from my house, all the bar staff are aussie, Incl the remarkably cute girl with the massive...How do you aussies get any work done!.

Ever heard of Al Murray?, he has some interesting views on the Australians.

Van-B

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:47
nope,never heard of him. its not AFL, its Rugby League, sorta like rugby union, except u only get five tackles then it a turn over. Also the balls a bit different.

Quote: "How do you aussies get any work done!."

i dunno... i should probably work more on my game then talk to u guys on this site.

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:49
at the moment the score is 18 - 8, NSW Way.(yeeeee-Hawwwww!!!!!)
yea, State of Origin is great.

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 20:51
out of the 2 matches played so far, NSW has won 1 and Queensland has won 1, so this is the decider.(did i spell that right?)

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 22:14
Quote: "i dunno... i should probably work more on my game then talk to u guys on this site."

...I don't think he was referring to that.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
State of Origin sounds like a S.T.Voyager episode.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 00:22
To clariffy Axelman's cryptic responses...

The State Of Origin is a series of three Rugby League matches that are annualy played between two of the states of Australia.
Those two states are New South Wales ( NSW ) - In The blue Jersy's and Queensland ( Qld ) - In the Red/Marone Jersy's.

The best players from all over NSW go up to make the NSW Team, and the best of Qld make up the Qld team.

Those that follow footy ( Rugby League ) and are in NSW or Qld, go nuts over this game, and even the liquor stores close early so they can watch it ( well, my local one does anyway ).
I am not one of those deranged people.
Axelman here, obviously is.

When it comes to a tie-breaker like this, where the first two games are won by both teams ( 1 game to each side ), then the fans get even more crazy for the third game. Stupid really.

Anyway, enough of that.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 00:40
Finallym maybe someone can tell me the difference between rugby & australian rules football? We Merikan's (at least the majority I know), don't know that much about either.

No flaming, please? It's just different cultures, we have crap sports, you guys have good sports.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 00:59
haha, sure.

Well, for starters, Australian Rules ( AFL ) is played on a round field, whereas League is played on a Rectangular 100meter long field.

Next, in AFL, the aim of the game is to keep the ball alive, much like in Soccer ( the one with the round ball they kick with their feet, just so there's no discussion about which game I'm talking about ), whereas in League, the idea is to get the ball, and run at the opposition as fast as you can, and get the crap beaten out of you when you're takled.

In AFL, if you take more than 12 steps I think it is, you MUST bounce the ball on the ground, otherwise it's a penalty. Also, the ball is kept alive by punt passes ( passing the ball from your open palm by hittin the end of it with the end of your closed fist ) and kicks.
If a player on your team catch's a kick on the full, they can take a "mark" where noone is allowed to tackle them, and they can kick from where they caught it ( it's very helpfull when you take a mark infront of the posts ).

Tackles are rare in AFL, but when they happen, I'm not sure what happens, since they're so rare. lol.

in AFL, there isn't a try line, it is all about kicking goals.
There are four posts, if you kick it between the two middle posts, it's worth more than if you kick it between two of the outside posts.
There is no hight limit on where you kick it ( no top or bottom to the goal posts ).

Um... I can't think of much more right now, but that's the basics of it.

Just think, it's a huge, 100meter diamater field, lots of running around, alot like soccer, but holding the ball, bouncing it occassionally, lots of passes and kicks. To score, kick it between the opposing side's posts.

Hope that clears it up a bit for ya

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 01:48
theres more than 2 states in australia but yes nsw and qld lock horns when it comes to rugby league.

I hate all three kinds of football played here but afl has some good points as well as rugby.

afl has more grace and three times the size of a rugby field.
afl is the only football per say without an off side.

rugby is meat head city and we have had numerous rape allegations and charges amongst many of the codes with players not respecting women. goes to show a type of person who plays it, not saying they are all like that but yeah.

stay away from the losing sides pubs because it turns into biffo city

watch a game of afl one day you might actually like it.
rugby league is akin to union except without all the ancient rules and heaps less scrums etc..rah rah and all that.

anyway watch some internet video about them to see a better result of how each is played.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 01:58
Quote: "Is it Ice Hockey?"
That's canadian, not american.

Quote: "round field"
How do you play football on a round feild!?!? Where are the goals.

Note: American Footbal=Rugby(pretty much)

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 11:54
It's an oval so the 4 goal posts are on the ends that are furthest apart.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 14:48
Quote: "Note: American Footbal=Rugby(pretty much)"

How Dare you Say that!!! in grid iron they were metal armour and helmets, but you only play with soft protection in rugby.(Foam armour, Foam Headgear.) I also heard that a game of american football goes for 6 hours!! and there is an attacking team and a defending team for one team! are the players there to stupid to know how to do two things at once?plus your allowed to pass the ball forward and tackle people without the ball. u got it completely wrong manticore.

Quote: "Those that follow footy ( Rugby League ) and are in NSW or Qld, go nuts over this game. I am not one of those deranged people.
Axelman here, obviously is."

LOL
[puts on hillbilly voice]
a folks ar dumb where we come from, ayuk yuk yuk and a bottle o rum!
[takes off hillbilly voice]

i'm not too crazy when it comes to sport,(what am i saying of course i am!) but i do play many sports, such as Rugby League(Duh), Boxing(since i was 5(i'm gonna be world champ)),Golf and Cricket.

Just because i play alot of sport don't assume that i'm a dimbo though, because i go to a private school on a scholarship, I get straight A's, and I have learnt many things, such as DB coding.(even if it has taken me a long time.)

Anyways,
Cya Later
Axelman.

P.S N.S.W won 32 - 12!! w00t!!!

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 17:35
There's also the kicking team and the special play team Axel, around 100 players in all. A rugby player has to stomach the whole match. When Rugby first went over to the States (it is reasonably popular in some places I gather) the marketting spiele claimed a Rugby player exerts 20 times as much energy during a match as an American Footballer.

I played both as a kid, and i'd say Rugby was the tougher game, but it was American Football that almost ended my sporting life with a nice life-effecting injury that I still carry with me today.

Mind you Golf is more dangerous than both of them so I refuse to get all anal over who's tougher.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:31:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:31:14