Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Starting my project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 11:51
Hello and thank you for reading this post!

I will write a small program ( a mini-mini game ) to include with my portfolio and maybe develop it in full in a future. I will use Dark Basic Pro. I have everything needed to START developing the mini-mini game, all I want basically is to show 3 characters at the beginning of the game, then you will choose from one of them and the game will be based around that character ( RACE )

For instance, I'm not thinking YET in add battle, menus or anything like that to the engine, I will start by building and refining the world, until the point my eyes can’t take it any more. WHY? The whole point of this game will be a showcase for my low-poly models and cut-scenes for high poly models. Most of my models have a story written, with creatures and a complex world (environment), so I’m taking 3 of my characters and building a "WORLD for them to live" - kind of thing.

as a result, I have some questions about using matrices or using Meshes for my "areas/levels"

I'm using Maya 5.0 to build up the models, I have the functionally version of the .x export plugging for Maya. Now, I need to know which method is appropriate to use when building "a world" like I’m planning to do.

A) Using Matrices ( I read is slower )
B) Building the whole map in Maya and exporting it as a .x ( I read “problems with collisions and tracking objects”)
C) Give me your professional opinion.

Well I hope I'm clear enough, thank again for reading!
ArsA

- Just Me!
Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
its probably best to use .x if you want to make a whole world but the built in collision is pretty bad so you should use NG nuclearglory.com or search the boards for another collision system.

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 09:49
Doug, thank you for your reply!

- Just Me!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:29:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:29:01