Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Raven, Read This!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 23:05
I read your sig and am interested in the game that is coming out this winter. Could you show me what the game is all about and tell me all that there is to know about it. Thanks, and good luck on your game!

No one can touch the secret shadow, because it is impossible to touch a shadow!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 00:12
Well, he lied to everyone twice about releasing screenshots, a movie and a demo that don't exist, and the most media he's showed off for it is a naked woman in Poser. But don't worry, he's coded a special clothing system just to make up for that ...

Shooting for Eternium Man.
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
http://beyondgoodevil.com/us/index.php

This sig has been dullified!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 00:15
Yeah, and the girl's from Beyond Good & Evil, which he isn't even involved in. Don't ask-- beats the crap out of me

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 00:16
There was a thread about it a while back. Going to have to reinstall some systems and sort out Maya 4.5 to continue as right now all of my machine have Maya 6.0 and despite my best efforts I can't get any importer/exporters to compile and run in it.
(even the ones supplied as examples!)

The story behind the game is a pretty interesting premise; but you'll probably want to know a little background.
Might not have heard of Half-Life Zero, if you don't want the story of that to be spoilt; then probably best to not read the next paragraph.

There is a fight in the engine deck of the train between Captain Kieron and the security guard, they both fall over the side the guard immediately hits the ground (not a pretty sight) but Kieron is holding onto the railing on the side of the train for dear life. Jamie (another member of section9) tries to grab him but he falls as well. Johen and Jamie just watch on as they loose a 2nd team-mate to what should've been a simple recon mission.

Now onto Deliverance; A young spunky reporter, (Louise) is send on another "Aliens ate my baby" story in a small backward mountain town. The night is pretty stormy so just adds to the whole "life is crap" feeling she has. Something runs out across the road, it looks sort of like a dog, so she swirves to avoid it. Unfortunately the road she's on was narrower than she realised and trying to break in the rains fail causing her to loose control.
She finds herself waking up in a small wooden cabin on the edge of a dead wood and lake; the view down to the bottom shows there is a small dock, and lights on the other side of the lake suggest some sort of civilisation.
Although she isn't sure how she got to the cabin in the first place, Louise decides to go and try and get some help.
What she comes across is Kieron, who has taken it upon himself to investigate the near-by Mesa owned facility... Louise ignores this at first but after some investigation realises that both her report and Kierons 'mission' are related in a creepy way.

The game is a sort of FPS, I say sort of - because you don't actually use a weapon often if you play as Louise. Instead you have to think your way around puzzles and such, you play as Kieron then you end up using a firearm alot more as a negotiation key

What has been the key behind the game is simply to create an involving story which has the FPS player feel far more involved, that they are part of the story... not just there to shot anything that moves. To achieve this a much more indepth Interaction and the use of Items gives the game some very familiar feeling to Resident Evil players, the action really pans from intense fighting and shoot-outs with armed guards to benine investigation to find out whats going on.

By taking certain elements from games like, MGS, HL and Resident Evil. I have helped to create a story and game which just sucks the player in and lets them define thier own way to play.

The multiplayer aspect takes that one step further, with game modes that have been based on popular MP Game types such as UT2003/2004 Node Runner... or such. Yet with a slower pace of game, and more terror inducing stuff.

A good example is the map i had created for the original demo release was a masion based very closely on the Aukley Mannor. However you got to experience it from a new perspective, the entity system allowed for the light entities to be scripted to another entity: this ment stuff like electric were possible.
You use a knife in one room to slice the wires, and it could cut the electricity to the above rooms turning all the lights off... you could them radio you friend who bursts in the opponents base and starts firing away at the blinded people.
Vision was based on Light Clamp ranges, which means you go from a bright room to a dark room; or visa versa and your veiw will slowly adapt but the given values would be out of your range of vision and appear overly dark or overly bright.
Smashing glass by shooting it out, or dropping an item full or water would change the sound of the steps from people entering that room, meaning even if they're trying to walk silently you could hear the glass crunching or wet footsteps.
The aim was to really make playing multiplayer less about "bang-bang" respawn action; and more about scaring the bejezus out of your opponents.

I mean imagine your hiding in a cupboard, and suddenly your team mate trys to contact you via the radio.. it'd *beep* instantly who your hiding from would hear it and know roughly where you were.

most of it is a sacrifice of publically loved features, and fast paces action, for something that will give a gamer an experience playing; not just kill some hours of boredom

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 00:37
Raven, with all these long-winded posts of yours how do you get any coding done?

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - July, 2004 * Click Logo
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 00:50 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 00:51
Who says he does?
There won't be any Dileverance game, nor Retro Basic, nor Zelda the Shadow Pyramide, nor DBpro TPCs, nor Crystal OS, nor Lumar Basic, nor...

Play Nice! Play Basic! Check it out. Now.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 00:56
well in all fairness he did release a dbp update/patch a couple weeks back, didn't he?

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - July, 2004 * Click Logo
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 01:02
True, but he didn't code it. It was just a hack.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Check it out. Now.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 01:03
It's one more hack than you've released

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 01:07
lol i'm not doing any coding atm... writing up this dumbass readme for the Acorn Basic interpreter; which is BOOOOOOORING.

Quote: "There won't be any Dileverance game, nor Retro Basic, nor Zelda the Shadow Pyramide, nor DBpro TPCs, nor Crystal OS, nor Lumar Basic, nor..."

spell checker taken a holiday i see.
Zelda, was a game engine; was released to a number of users who asked for it. (was simply all that was left over after helping Rose out)

DBPro TPCs... Hmm really? Guess those DLLs that are already out there must be fakes then

Crystal OS... Hmm, guess someone should tell Will Ramey @ NVIDIA and Derek Wong @ ATI, they're not going to be happy that they're using an imaginary OS for testing OpenGL Drivers.

Luma Basic... Yup, your completely right. Considering it was renamed Crystal Blue.

Vindicate
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven, of all people, complaining about proper spelling.

Quote: "spell checker taken a holiday i see."

Why don't you take some time off from your imaginary projects
and finally use one on your stupid signature, dumbass.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 01:39
how it's possible Raven still be so quiet with all this post showing how nobody think he can code something??

Free Download for a Free World
go to my www to play RAVEN, THE FLIGHT OF RAVEN and SUNDAY DRIVERS
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 01:42

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 02:14
Quote: " It's one more hack than you've released "

Because empty doesn't lie to the community with 'upgrades' and work logs that are all fake. Raven on the other hand makes a hobby out of it.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 02:29
Quote: "how it's possible Raven still be so quiet with all this post showing how nobody think he can code something?? "
If we all sat around arguing over what other people thought about us .... we would never get anything else done. Sometimes its best to ignore peoples opinions of you. Like some people should just ignore Raven's threads if they don't like him or what he is or isn't doing instead of trying to start something.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 02:42
Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away or solve it, and Raven's a problem. He's constantly giving wildly incorrect advice on buying hardware, lying about his connections to the industry, and starting projects that he gets all the poor ignorant forum users hyped up about before-- of course-- dropping them and never mentioning them again. He's a parasite that feeds off of the newbies in the community, and ignoring him only makes the problem worse.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 02:43
I wish that some of you guys would grow up. If you don't stop the childish sniping, I'll stop it another way.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:30:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:30:52