Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Micheal Moore:Pirate my movie,it's ok!(Fahrenheit 9/11)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 05:53
http://www.sundayherald.com/43167

What do you think?

I guess if the publishers aren't against it...

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 05:57
Regular extremist tactics...

I have no problem with people pirating that crap as long as they know the truth about the lies.

Shooting for Eternium Man.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:02 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 06:02
Sorry Mouse,there are no lies in it.

If there were any,you'd know because the Bush Administration would've gladly pointed them out before the release,if ever.

AFAIK,they're just trying to keep it quiet and shut Moores up...Which proves alot itself.

-Andy Bell
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:06
Quote: "Sorry Mouse,there are no lies in it."

Read:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/

Quote: "If there were any,you'd know because the Bush Administration would've gladly pointed them out before the release,if ever."

No, they're following the tactic of 'Don't talk about it, don't hear about it'. Hey, I never credited them for their intelligence

Quote: "AFAIK,they're just trying to keep it quiet and shut Moores up...Which proves alot itself."

Apart from an initial attempt to bar the movie, which any political group would do to something that damaging, they've done nothing to attempt to shut Moore up. A good deal of people know what a crazy extremist he is anyways, and it's not into Rep propaganda season yet anyways.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:17
Michael Moore is a hippy.

Any real attempt by the government to bar his movie would have violated his constitutional right and make him whine even more.

Good thing I live in conservative town, USA (Utah). None of the theaters are showing that crap of a movie.

----
<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:20
Quote: "Good thing I live in conservative town, USA (Utah). None of the theaters are showing that crap of a movie"

Lol, the conservatives here in the UK would be lapping it up

It'd going to be an interesting movie. I'm going to see it when it's in the UK (today I believe).

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:29
Just keep in mind that everything you are told you should take with a grain of salt. Once you have seen something from one side, look at it from at least two others. Then decide. There's some quote from Aristotle correlating to this but I haven't had my coffee so I can't remember it .

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:36
<goes to finish watching Bowling for Columbine> <---really

never saw the entire thing so got it on netflix, along with Downsize This, and saw FH911 last week in theater.

its been a MMoore marathon lately. Oh and btw if all he does is lie about people then tell me why he has only been sued once and that case was dismissed?

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - July, 2004 * Click Logo
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:38 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 06:40
Judging by Bowling for Columbine (I have not seen Farenheit 9/11), Moore doesn't so much lie as present the evidence in a very careful way which gives it a very different meaning.

For example, the interview with the head of the NRA made him look like a cold-hearted "arm-a-toddler" fanatic. Apparently the guy was suffering from a fairly serious mental condition when he was filmed. Moore neglects to mention this.

I'm not going to start a debate about his politics (except to say that he is a little hypocritical at times), but he certainly has talent as a director. Bowling for Columbine lacked subtlety, a fair number of people will probably see straight through it, but it is very effective at communicating Moore's view of the world to less discerning viewers. The way in which he emotionally involves the viewer is certainly effective.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:55
He also neglects to mention that he (Moore) blatantly lied to Heston thrice during the interview...

Quote: "Oh and btw if all he does is lie about people then tell me why he has only been sued once and that case was dismissed?"

Why is OJ Simpson not in jail? Why has Michael Jackson gotten to cover up his previous court cases and buy off the planitiff? This isn't a fair world we live in CR, legal and otherwise, and that's not a valid argument. If you really want to debate about this, pick up at the link I posted earlier. I have not seen anyone I have presented that article to able to contest it, and I'll be interested in seeing some Moore fans defend F9/11 without using such fallacies as red herrings and stick men (not an attack against you, I assume you simply didn't want to spend the time reading the article).

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 06:56
Michael Moore's documentaries are ridiculously biased and do lie.

There's nothing wrong with it, there should always be someone to give the absolute opposing view.

When you watch a Michael Moore film you have to realise that it isn't being fair.

Personally I hate him. Mainly for his unrelenting demonising of a weak, geriatric Charlton Heston in BFC.

Moore blantantly lies about a complete innocent just so that he has someone to throw his insults at.

He says that the NRA came to Columbine just after the massacare and that was really unsensitive. He makes it seem like they deliberately pick Columbine, in fact the trip was planned there for months before and it was too late to call it off. They were actually sensitive to the killings, but of course Moore didn't show that. Instead, he cut in footage from another speech from Heston. (check the DVD - the colour of his tie and his surroundings change). This footage as well, is maliciously used.

In the clip, Heston is shown holdinng up a gun and saying "from my cold, dead hands". Moore tells us that Heston said that in Columbine just after the massarcare. As if he was saying "I'll need give up my guns even though tradgedies like this happen."

The gun was actually just given to him (at the other convention) as a gift (look, it's an old fashioned Civil War Rifle). And he was saying "I love this gift so much... you could only take it from my cold dead hands".

There are other bits in BFC where the people interviewed are actors.

There is nothing there that is presented completely unobjectively (as it should be in a fair documentary) everything is completely biased.

Don't think that what Moore says is "the secret truth" as he would have you believe. It is just as biased as the political spin is lambasts.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:00
Well said Chris .

I personally feel great sympathy for Heston. He is a great individual, whatever one might think about his political beliefs and stance on gun control. He was one of Martin Luthor King Jr's big supporters also.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:02
By the way, Actarus, since there's no PM system I'll post here. I think I owe you an apology. There was an argument between-- I think-- you and Simple about a model of yours... anyways, I sided against you for foolish reasons and didn't look into it as I should have (and thus did not see the truth of the matter). So I owe you an apology for being a jerk: I am sorry.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:04
Moore's biased, and a liar.

Now,hmm...if only Neophyte were herehe had a nice site pointing out the flaws...hmmm...I'm gonna try to find that site

WWSD?
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:09 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 07:09
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:13 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 07:15
http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html was the one, Mouse already put it up, but it was Chris Knott who said it...sorry man

Edited for the correct spelling of Chris's name

WWSD?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:22
I'll agree that Moore is biased and I dont believe everything he says but I do find his films rather interesting and he has the balls to go out and stir it all up. Someone needs to make a movie discrediting him because I am too lazy to read it - LOL.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:22
I saw it tonight and thought it was excellent. What really struck me was actually how careful Moore was being not to say anything libellous.

I'm sorry but if he had said anything that he could have been sued for, he would have been on the spot. It's foolishness to assume otherwise.

For the most part he backs up his assertions with proof from footage, newspapers etc. Ok, he may only be presenting one side of the story, but, here's the point, we get the other side all the time from our media. If you at least watch it, then for once you are seeing a side of the story that you don't often see.

But, please, please, please, please don't have the ignorance to condemn a movie until you have seen it.

NB: Mouse - Christopher Hitchins has been for a long time a seriously biased prowar columnist. His debunking of F 9/11 relies on conjecture and rhetoric largely, and where he condemns Moores "lies" - it is largely on the basis of interpretation (or deliberate misinterpretion) of very minor points of what Moore says - in the film a lot of the evidence speaks for itself.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:26
Quote: "For the most part he backs up his assertions with proof from footage, newspapers etc. Ok, he may only be presenting one side of the story, but, here's the point, we get the other side all the time from our media. If you at least watch it, then for once you are seeing a side of the story that you don't often see."

Not particularly. The major news we get in the USA is not conservitive; it's more pro-war than anti-war, because that's what the current Presidency is doing, but they always 'play it safe' like that.

Quote: "But, please, please, please, please don't have the ignorance to condemn a movie until you have seen it."

I have.

Quote: "NB: Mouse - Christopher Hitchins has been for a long time a seriously biased prowar columnist."

See, now that's the other side of the story ...

Quote: "His debunking of F 9/11 relies on conjecture and rhetoric largely, and where he condemns Moores "lies" - it is largely on the basis of interpretation (or deliberate misinterpretion) of very minor points of what Moore says - in the film a lot of the evidence speaks for itself."

Somewhat. Just like Moore's films do. But he also brings up several major points about the movie I haven't seen anyone directly address. And what about all the other places I linked to, that list, in simple factual form, tons more of his lies, in and out of his films?

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:31
there's a documentary about bowling for columbine...it points out the errors...I can't remember what it's called though.

WWSD?
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:38
I take back the point about ignorance, then, I had assumed that you had condemned the film, without seeing it - I know one or two people who have already.

I could spend all night going through all of the sites you list disproving them or at least, pointing out ways in which their reporting is deliberately flawed, but it would take a long time. There are plenty of websites which show Moores POV, better than I could.

However, I will take the time to rip Hitchin's arguments out of the water: What are the specific points you haven't seen addressed elsewhere?

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:45
well, for the record, I saw it too...it LOOKED convincing at first

WWSD?
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:49
Some interesting views and links there.Got some reading to do but right now,I'm having a nice little saké so I don't want to feel worse

Mouse:It's ok,I understand,no bad feelings,actually if there ever were any,it was only at that moment.

Kentaree can still have it for I didn't delete it...Does he still hang around?

Later

-Andy Bell
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 07:52
Even if it were only true in part it would still be an important message and contain points in the movie and questions raised that should be cleared up by those in authority.

Even if one turns out to be wrong, there are plenty of others.

I don't understand the mentality that assumes someones entire argument or point of view is utterly wrong, because of a point of intepretation about a single point he is making.

I don't understand the viewpoint that because someone is biased (and I'm not denying that Moore is not), then they have nothing to say but lies.

I have believed for a long time the truth is arrived at by ensuring you have access to a broad range of viewpoints and then looking somewhere in the middle.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:19
GCEclipse, I am glad you had the energy to post what youve posted. Thanks.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:19
he distorts the facts...now, he also maybe forgets to mentin that there's a huge population difference between America and Japan. Suddenly, Japan's a pretty violent place

WWSD?
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:25
I definately think there should be people like Moore, as you say, there needs to be someone to give that point of view - to give the "facts" to balance the other side's "facts".

It just annoys me when people fall for Moore's everyman appearance and don't realise it's spin.
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:31
Ok, Hitchins essay:

The first 3 paragraphs are purely assertions, which are not backed and are a matter of opinion - in fact they are proof that Hitchins is not exactly an objective writer. I dismiss them because they require no argument.

The fourth paragraph asserts the viewpoint that Moore changed his mind on the guilt of Bin Laden, however, Hitchins has deliberately twisted Moores meaning - his original point that terrorism is a crime and crimes should be dealt with through the due process of the law.

Next, he goes onto pointing out what Moores assertions are:

Quote: "1) The Bin Laden family (if not exactly Osama himself) had a close if convoluted business relationship with the Bush family, through the Carlyle Group"

Ok, this is certainly true. There is more than enough public documentation to show that both the Bushes and the Bin Ladens have been involved in the Carlyle group. As to the question of whether it means anything is at matter for personal opinion.

Quote: "2) Saudi capital in general is a very large element of foreign investment in the United States."

Again, a more or less irrefutable point because of the weight of proof behind the assertion - again, it is difficult to quantify what this actually means and what degree of impact it had is purely a matter of opinion.

Quote: "3) The Unocal company in Texas had been willing to discuss a gas pipeline across Afghanistan with the Taliban, as had other vested interests"

Again, these discussions certainly happened. Again, this may or may not mean anything.

Quote: "4) The Bush administration sent far too few ground troops to Afghanistan and thus allowed far too many Taliban and al-Qaida members to escape."

Ok, fine Moore does make that point, he seemed to back it up with significant evidence.

Quote: "5) The Afghan government, in supporting the coalition in Iraq, was purely risible in that its non-army was purely American."

Ok, Moore makes this point in a manner of speaking, but Hitchins puts it in a very interesting way (i.e. a way that will support his later arguments) - more on that in minute.

Quote: "6) The American lives lost in Afghanistan have been wasted. (This I divine from the fact that this supposedly "antiwar" film is dedicated ruefully to all those killed there, as well as in Iraq.)"

Pure assertion on Hitchin's part, Moore does not make that point. Even Hitchins realises that he is on shaky ground with this one, because of the admission that he "divined it from the fact...etc", i.e. he made an assumption.

Ok, these are Hitchins assertions of what Moore is saying in the film, but what about the ones Hitchins has missed? What about the point about the election (and Florida)? What about the point that the media has cleaned up the war? What about the issues regarding national security? Media generated fear? The patriot act? - Hitchins deliberately makes no mention of them. Theres a bunch of other points that Moore made that Hitchins has deliberately and conveniently ignored. In fact, its a very long list.

Quote: "Either the Saudis run U.S. policy (through family ties or overwhelming economic interest), or they do not."

Moore does not say the Saudis run U.S. policy, Moore does seem to be saying that there are ties that should not be ignored, however, he does not assert at any point that the Saudis control US policy - he does assert they probably have an impact on it, but this is a very different thing to controlling it.

Quote: "As allies and patrons of the Taliban regime, they either opposed Bush's removal of it, or they did not. (They opposed the removal, all right: They wouldn't even let Tony Blair land his own plane on their soil at the time of the operation.)"

Of course, drawing the distinction between control and influence renders this argument utterly invalid and irrelevant. I am influenced by plenty of things but they do not control every move I make.

Quote: "Either we sent too many troops, or were wrong to send any at all—the latter was Moore's view as late as 2002—or we sent too few."

What? This is not a rational argument when you look at it. If you remember that Moore was trying to point out that getting Osama was not the goal, then you understand the point about not sending enough troops, the US obviously sent enough troops to capture afghanistation because they did it. Moores point is fairly obviously that the US did not send enough to search the caves for Osama or perform a thorough search, therefore, getting Osama cannot have been the primary objective of the mission.

Quote: "If we were going to make sure no Taliban or al-Qaida forces survived or escaped, we would have had to be more ruthless than I suspect that Mr. Moore is really recommending."

An assertion. Really requires no specific refutation.

(Cont /...)

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:44 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 08:45
There's a very interesting article on the bbc web site about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3879593.stm

I think the first reviewer sums it up perfectly:

Quote: "So, of course, it is biased! It is meant to be! Moore is simply telling a different version of history from a different perspective"

Yes, he is biased. But then again, any version of accounts is biased. An example is comparing our "free" media's account of hte iraq war to that or a channel like Al Jazeera. Both reporting the truth, but changed for target audiences.

Al Jazeera was meant to be quite good during the iraq war - while in the west we just saw footage of bombs exploding in the distance and soliders cheering "we got saddam's ass" there was some good up close reporting.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:46
(cont/...)

Quote: "And these are simply observations on what is "in" the film. If we turn to the facts that are deliberately left out, we discover that there is an emerging Afghan army, that the country is now a joint NATO responsibility and thus under the protection of the broadest military alliance in history, that it has a new constitution and is preparing against hellish odds to hold a general election, and that at least a million and a half of its former refugees have opted to return. I don't think a pipeline is being constructed yet, not that Afghanistan couldn't do with a pipeline. But a highway from Kabul to Kandahar—an insurance against warlordism and a condition of nation-building—is nearing completion with infinite labor and risk. We also discover that the parties of the Afghan secular left—like the parties of the Iraqi secular left—are strongly in favor of the regime change. But this is not the sort of irony in which Moore chooses to deal."

Look very carefully, it is all utterly irrelevant to the point of what Moore was saying (and I suspect it is a somewhat rosy picture of what is happening there). The only point that Hitchins makes here that IS relevant to the point of the film actually supports Moores argument.

Quote: "I don't think a pipeline is being constructed yet, not that Afghanistan couldn't do with a pipeline."

So theres not a pipeline YET. Maybe thats because of the security considerations about the region. It proves nothing.

Quote: "He prefers leaden sarcasm to irony and, indeed, may not appreciate the distinction. "
Irrelevant and subjective.

Quote: "In a long and paranoid (and tedious) section at the opening of the film, he makes heavy innuendoes about the flights that took members of the Bin Laden family out of the country after Sept. 11. I banged on about this myself at the time and wrote a Nation column drawing attention to the groveling Larry King interview with the insufferable Prince Bandar, which Moore excerpts. However, recent developments have not been kind to our Mike. In the interval between Moore's triumph at Cannes and the release of the film in the United States, the 9/11 commission has found nothing to complain of in the timing or arrangement of the flights. And Richard Clarke, Bush's former chief of counterterrorism, has come forward to say that he, and he alone, took the responsibility for authorizing those Saudi departures. "

A government commision backed up the government? Well, whoopy skip! We Brits are familiar enough with whitewashes, having recently had one of our own, to know that government commissions and even "independant" enquiries are not always objective.

Hmm, so Clarke came forward to say that. Read the article that Hitchins cites as proof. Clarke has said a few things and some of them contradict himself. I'm not sure I would treat him as being reliable.

Also, points raised very near the end of filming. Its quite possible Moore did not know them! I think because of the ambigious nature of this one, we have to give Moore the benefit of the doubt.

(Cont/..)

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:53 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 08:54
Actarus-> thank you .

Glen->

I'll take a second to post my view on the 'war on terrorism'/'new world order captures more oil' while you finish your critique .

I think it was foolish to invade Iraq. There's certainly no question many mideastern countries are harboring terrorists, but this wasn't the right action, time, or place to deal with that problem (waiting for the asinine UN council would have been a worse move however). However, I think that although we did the wrong thing initially, the results have been good.

Now you're probably thinking I'm either a blind Bush-worshipping kid, a sadist or a racist-- I'm none of those. Before anyone starts bringing up photos of dead Iraqi civilians from the war and bombing in Iraq, allow me to get 4 points across--

--1. All of the civilian and military Iraqi casualties from the war do not equal up to one quarter of the civilians Saddam Hussain slaughtered every year to keep his citizens in fear of him. (I'll note that if Moore and Kerry both had their way, Saddam and his psycotic crime family would still run the place).

--2. While there have been horrible mistreatments of Iraqi prisinors, and these acts are certainly things to worry about and try to stop, keep in mind that most of the coalition-run prisons are very humane... and that Saddam Hussain had people murdered for no reason... quite a contrast to imprisoning people without telling them the reason (though neither is ideal or good).

--3. We have not taken a drop of oil from Iraq. Period. While nobody seems to argue that anymore, it was the #1 liberal reason Bush was evil a year ago, I recall quite vividly. Leftists have quietly retracted that argument as time goes on and we don't lay a hand on Iraqi oil.

--4. The Iraqi people have not been subjected to the 'American way' or forced to adopt a US-run government. If this was so, don't you think the fundamentalist Christian Bush would have stopped them from making the Islam religion a given fact for the Iraqi constitution? The Iraqi people are now chosing their own way of life-- not Bush's and not Saddam's.

I think it'd be pretty damn bad if we started making a habit out of this, but it's pretty obvious we won't. This has cost too many lives and too much money to be part of any intelligent conquest scheme. I do think it's good we're moving further away from the UN; hopefuly that will continue in the future.

And just to make my stance clear, I don't support Bush on all or even most issues and I don't support the way the war's being handled today either. I think it's outrageous that the national guard is being sent out of the country into heavy fire zones. I think it's bad the whole way the army is set up, having an older brother who's a Sgt. in the armed forces and knows damn well how it works. But I do think that the choise to invade Iraq, while premature and based on partially faulty evidence, turned into a good thing for millions of Iraqis.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:55
(cont/..)

Quote: "except that—as you might expect—Clarke is presented throughout as the brow-furrowed ethical hero of the entire post-9/11 moment. And it does not seem very likely that, in his open admission about the Bin Laden family evacuation, Clarke is taking a fall, or a spear in the chest, for the Bush administration. So, that's another bust for this windy and bloated cinematic "key to all mythologies.""

The point that
Quote: "Clarke is presented throughout as the brow-furrowed ethical hero of the entire post-9/11 moment."
really is pure assertion from Hitchins but wasn't the impression I got. Clarke was quoted a couple of times in the film, but it wasn't the whole basis of Moores argument.

Quote: "A film that bases itself on a big lie and a big misrepresentation can only sustain itself by a dizzying succession of smaller falsehoods, beefed up by wilder and (if possible) yet more-contradictory claims. "

Very nice and floral but pure assertion!

Quote: "President Bush is accused of taking too many lazy vacations. (What is that about, by the way? Isn't he supposed to be an unceasing planner for future aggressive wars?) "

I myself didn't really see the relevance in the holidays, however, I assumed Moore was doing it more for comedy relief than anything else, Moore certainly did not say that "Isn't he supposed to be an unceasing planner for future aggressive wars?"

Quote: "But the shot of him "relaxing at Camp David" shows him side by side with Tony Blair. I say "shows," even though this photograph is on-screen so briefly that if you sneeze or blink, you won't recognize the other figure. A meeting with the prime minister of the United Kingdom, or at least with this prime minister, is not a goof-off."

Well, whoopie skip. This one really blows my argument out of the sky!!! Thats proved it, Christopher! Nice one. You've got me there.

Quote: "The president is also captured in a well-worn TV news clip, on a golf course, making a boilerplate response to a question on terrorism and then asking the reporters to watch his drive. Well, that's what you get if you catch the president on a golf course. If Eisenhower had done this, as he often did, it would have been presented as calm statesmanship. If Clinton had done it, as he often did, it would have shown his charm."

Look, this is totally irrelevant to the message of F 9/11! Hitchins is blatantly diverting attention away from the major points onto silly minor points. Its a standard method of argument.

(Cont/...)

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:58
(Mouse - will answer you in a minute

"you're probably thinking I'm either a blind Bush-worshipping kid, a sadist or a racist-- I'm none of those".

I really don't think that at all about you.)

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 09:26 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 10:07
Quote: "We have not taken a drop of oil from Iraq. Period. While nobody seems to argue that anymore, it was the #1 liberal reason Bush was evil a year ago, I recall quite vividly. Leftists have quietly retracted that argument as time goes on and we don't lay a hand on Iraqi oil."

Define "we". If you define "we" as the US governemnt, then you would be right. However, If you define "We" as Oil Companies I would gladly say your statement is false.

Quote: "The Iraqi people have not been subjected to the 'American way' or forced to adopt a US-run government. If this was so, don't you think the fundamentalist Christian Bush would have stopped them from making the Islam religion a given fact for the Iraqi constitution? The Iraqi people are now chosing their own way of life"

No they are not choosing thier own way of life; at least right now they are not. Right now, they are under a provisional government. While this is better then a US backed government, The Iraqi people are not chosing anything that is going on in thier life. Remember, suicide bombers and insurgents still plaugue Iraq today.

take a look at this as well
http://globalresearch.ca.myforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=776
Comments by an Iraqi Civilian

Quote: "All of the civilian and military Iraqi casualties from the war do not equal up to one quarter of the civilians Saddam Hussain slaughtered every year to keep his citizens in fear of him."

Ok, do you have a source?

Im going to do a quick search and comeback soon.

[edit]
http://www.iraqbodycount.net/
puts Iraqi Civialian deaths at between 11164 and 13118

http://www.christian-patriots.us/IraqiCivilianDeaths.html
puts the toll at 37,000

http://www.stephenpollard.net/001621.html
Quote: "The conservative estimate of civilians deaths (ie., known, reported deaths - the actual number will never be known, but is much, much higher) since the invasion is of around 10,000."

[/edit]

[edit]
Im having trouble finding figures on the amount of Civilian Saddam has killed on an annual basis; however, Im not sure the figure is more then 10,000 killed a year as you say it is (of course there is the figure spike when he gassed the kurds.).

either way, having an ideology that says "He Killed More people then we did" is just plain stupid; Saddam personally inflicting more Civilian deaths then we have doesn't put us off the hook.

I know you are going to claim that the civilian lives were taken on accident (which is most likely the case); however comparing this to real life, Accidentally running over and killing a pedestrian is still going to give you plenty of jail time because even though you didn't see them, it is still your responsibility to watch for them.

Therefore I think its rather hypocritical to bring up the fact that Saddam killed more civilians.
[/edit]

Amist the Blue Skies...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 09:59
I read it was 20,000. I'll try to find a source.

Quote: "either way, saying "He Killed More people then we did" is just plain stupid; Saddam personally inflicting more Civilian deaths then we have doesn't put us off the hook"

You're missing the point. There are casualties in war. It isn't murder if a bomb goes off its target by half a mile and strike a farmstead. It's a tragedy, but statistically and practically these things will and do happen. While I think the bombings could have been carried out better, this war has gone amazing well compared to horrible messes like Vietnam... I think you're subjecting the statistics to rather a rather one-sided view.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 10:06
Nice arguements

And, Mouse, that didn't make you sound like a racist, sadist, or blind-bush follower. It made you sound more like an intelligent person

WWSD?
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 10:11
Even Moore has said this is not a documentary, but a comedy.. so what I want to know is why does the media keep saying this had the highest grossing theatre opening in history for a documentary? And why did this film win so many awards.

This is just a PC (politically correct) movie coming along at a very sensitive time in the U.S. Hollywood eats up PC movies like this. I still want to see F/911 because I'll see almost anything based on a recommendation, but after reading about how much of a farce BFC is, I know to take this movie with a grain of salt.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 10:18
(Cont/... sorry its proving so long)

Quote: "More interesting is the moment where Bush is shown frozen on his chair at the infant school in Florida, looking stunned and useless for seven whole minutes after the news of the second plane on 9/11. Many are those who say that he should have leaped from his stool, adopted a Russell Crowe stance, and gone to work. I could even wish that myself. But if he had done any such thing then (as he did with his "Let's roll" and "dead or alive" remarks a month later), half the Michael Moore community would now be calling him a man who went to war on a hectic, crazed impulse. The other half would be saying what they already say—that he knew the attack was coming, was using it to cement himself in power, and couldn't wait to get on with his coup. This is the line taken by Gore Vidal and by a scandalous recent book that also revives the charge of FDR's collusion over Pearl Harbor. At least Moore's film should put the shameful purveyors of that last theory back in their paranoid box."

He's assuming a little too much, I can't say how the press. michael moore or anyone would react to anything, people often surprise me. I don't see where Hitchins got his wonderful "Whatif" crystal ball from, however it sure helps his essay. Such a point is conjective and defies argument. It could have happened this way or could have another.

Many may well say
Quote: "that he should have leaped from his stool, adopted a Russell Crowe stance,"
, but Moore didn't. He presented us with a few theories as too what must Bush have been thinking but he doesn't make that point. Hitchins is now arguing with points that Moore never even made.

Quote: "But it won't because it encourages their half-baked fantasies in so many other ways. We are introduced to Iraq, "a sovereign nation." (In fact, Iraq's "sovereignty" was heavily qualified by international sanctions, however questionable, which reflected its noncompliance with important U.N. resolutions.) In this peaceable kingdom, according to Moore's flabbergasting choice of film shots, children are flying little kites, shoppers are smiling in the sunshine, and the gentle rhythms of life are undisturbed. Then—wham! From the night sky come the terror weapons of American imperialism. Watching the clips Moore uses, and recalling them well, I can recognize various Saddam palaces and military and police centers getting the treatment. But these sites are not identified as such. "

Its difficult to argue that Saddam was a nice guy, because of course he wasn't. Its difficult to argue that Iraq was a nice place to live before, because again I doubt it was. It's also difficult to make the assertion that this is what moore was getting at.

I think that Hitchins has missed the point - I think how I felt seeing the kites etc and I felt these are people just like us, I did not think "that sure looks a nice place to live - a positive paradise". How would you? The footage showed the happy normal kids, but a cursory glance at the devastated landscape all around them shows that this cannot have been Moores point.

The cutting is deliberately done for dramatic effect, sure, but then so what? The cutting means much less than how we are anchored to the meaning that moore was getting at.

Quote: "I remember asking Moore at Telluride if he was or was not a pacifist. He would not give a straight answer then, and he doesn't now, either. I'll just say that the "insurgent" side is presented in this film as justifiably outraged, whereas the 30-year record of Baathist war crimes and repression and aggression is not mentioned once. (Actually, that's not quite right. It is briefly mentioned but only, and smarmily, because of the bad period when Washington preferred Saddam to the likewise unmentioned Ayatollah Khomeini.)"

Are we looking at Moore's film or Moore himself? The first sentance is totally irrelevant to the point (and a nasty rhetorical tactic - "if you can't attack the viewpoint, then attack the man")

If the
Quote: ""insurgent" side is presented in this film as justifiably outraged"
, I didn't see it and I wouldn't like to try and prove it was Moores intention. This is a subjective point, and I wouldn't try to argue it one way or another.

As for the argument about Saddams nastiness - its a common prowar argument and been mentioned so many times that Moore didn't feel he needed to - he was making the antiwar case, so has no need to bring it into the argument, unless he planned to refute it. Since Saddams utter horribleness is not the question (or, indeed, in doubt) and real question is "Is War a justified response to it? Are there no other means?", I will leave it there as it is part of a broader discussion.

Quote: "Moore asserts that Iraq under Saddam had never attacked or killed or even threatened (his words) any American. I never quite know whether Moore is as ignorant as he looks, or even if that would be humanly possible."

Ok, lets break the next bit up into easy stages. My reading of Moore is that there was no state sponsored action that was aimed at the USA and that the point is a minor one and pretty much irrelevant to Moores argument, but lets take a gander at the examples Hitchins cites:

Quote: "Baghdad was for years the official, undisguised home address of Abu Nidal, then the most-wanted gangster in the world, who had been sentenced to death even by the PLO and had blown up airports in Vienna*"

...and London was for many years the official home address for General Pinochet... Such a thing proves nothing, and it certainly does not prove the state the criminal lives in condones or approves of the crimes he/she has committed. Many criminals live here and in America - if an American criminal kills a Brit, we do not assume that it is part of USA plot against the UK.

Quote: "Baghdad was the safe house for the man whose "operation" murdered Leon Klinghoffer."

See above, unless Hitchins provides actual proof of state involvement in those "operations". Ah, he hasn't, well strike 2 then.

Quote: "Saddam boasted publicly of his financial sponsorship of suicide bombers in Israel. (Quite a few Americans of all denominations walk the streets of Jerusalem.) In 1991, a large number of Western hostages were taken by the hideous Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and held in terrible conditions for a long time."

Neither of these cases are directed agression against the USA. In the first case, any Americans killed were not the target, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. In the other case, they weren't killed, and it strikes me that its difficult to argue whether or not this was directed agression at American citizens as those hostages could have easily been Brits/ Aussies etc... and a consequence of the wider context of the Kuwait operations.

Quote: "After that same invasion was repelled—Saddam having killed quite a few Americans and Egyptians and Syrians and Brits in the meantime and having threatened to kill many more—the Iraqi secret police were caught trying to murder former President Bush during his visit to Kuwait. Never mind whether his son should take that personally. (Though why should he not?) Should you and I not resent any foreign dictatorship that attempts to kill one of our retired chief executives? (President Clinton certainly took it that way: He ordered the destruction by cruise missiles of the Baathist "security" headquarters.)"

Again, tricky to argue this, because you can easily debate whether or not the target is the country or the man. Directed agression, sure. Directed aggression against the US, not so sure.

Quote: "Iraqi forces fired, every day, for 10 years, on the aircraft that patrolled the no-fly zones and staved off further genocide in the north and south of the country."

Its true enough, however, in the context of foreign planes patrolling your skies and occasionally bombing you (or allowing the turks to bomb you) (if pressed, I'll find evidence, theres enough of it about), might you feel a little hostile to the foreigners?

Quote: "In 1993, a certain Mr. Yasin helped mix the chemicals for the bomb at the World Trade Center and then skipped to Iraq, where he remained a guest of the state until the overthrow of Saddam."

Again, back into the realms of whether this was an Iraqi state backed action or not. Hitchins offers us no proof either way.

Quote: "In 2001, Saddam's regime was the only one in the region that openly celebrated the attacks on New York and Washington and described them as just the beginning of a larger revenge."

Ok, not exactly a specific threat. Sure, a stupid move on Saddams part, but doesn't quite fall into the category of what we are looking for.

Quote: "Its official media regularly spewed out a stream of anti-Semitic incitement. I think one might describe that as "threatening," even if one was narrow enough to think that anti-Semitism only menaces Jews."

Very interesting one this. Hutchins now is citing a case where Iraq is not even threatening the USA! The obvious target of Saddam's spite was Isreal, and he shared that in common with quite a few of the counties in that region.

Quote: "And it was after, and not before, the 9/11 attacks that Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi moved from Afghanistan to Baghdad and began to plan his now very open and lethal design for a holy and ethnic civil war."

See above - if it was Iraq sponsored - lets see the proof.

Quote: "On Dec. 1, 2003, the New York Times reported—and the David Kay report had established—that Saddam had been secretly negotiating with the "Dear Leader" Kim Jong-il in a series of secret meetings in Syria, as late as the spring of 2003, to buy a North Korean missile system, and missile-production system, right off the shelf. (This attempt was not uncovered until after the fall of Baghdad, the coalition's presence having meanwhile put an end to the negotiations.)"

Most of the countries in the region have made repeated efforts to obtain these kinds of weapons and Saddam is certainly not unique in this. The reason seems obvious that by having nuclear weapons pretty much guarantees you will not be attacked by western countries and neighbouring countries (for years most western countries have maintained nuclear weapons on the grounds that they are a deterrant - is the argument ok for us and not for them?).

Quote: "Thus, in spite of the film's loaded bias against the work of the mind, you can grasp even while watching it that Michael Moore has just said, in so many words, the one thing that no reflective or informed person can possibly believe: that Saddam Hussein was no problem. No problem at all. Now look again at the facts I have cited above. If these things had been allowed to happen under any other administration, you can be sure that Moore and others would now glibly be accusing the president of ignoring, or of having ignored, some fairly unmistakable "warnings.""

Thanks for intrepreting the film for us, but wrong again. "Michael Moore has just said, in so many words, the one thing that no reflective or informed person can possibly believe: that Saddam Hussein was no problem. No problem at all." is obviously NOT what Moore is saying - however, replace the word "problem" with the words "immenent and present threat" and you get closer to the obvious point of what Moore was saying. Hitchins is trying to twist the film, but its pretty obvious.

Quote: "The same "let's have it both ways" opportunism infects his treatment of another very serious subject, namely domestic counterterrorist policy. From being accused of overlooking too many warnings—not exactly an original point—the administration is now lavishly taunted for issuing too many. (Would there not have been "fear" if the harbingers of 9/11 had been taken seriously?) We are shown some American civilians who have had absurd encounters with idiotic "security" staff. (Have you ever met anyone who can't tell such a story?) Then we are immediately shown underfunded police departments that don't have the means or the manpower to do any stop-and-search: a power suddenly demanded by Moore on their behalf that we know by definition would at least lead to some ridiculous interrogations."

No, actually the implication is that clear and obvious foreign threats were ignored in the wake of 9/11, but since then they have taken it as an opportunity to tighten the grip on the people with the Patriot act and cause a lot of fear by constantly adjusting the terror levels.

Quote: "Finally, Moore complains that there isn't enough intrusion and confiscation at airports and says that it is appalling that every air traveler is not forcibly relieved of all matches and lighters. (Cue mood music for sinister influence of Big Tobacco.) So—he wants even more pocket-rummaging by airport officials? Uh, no, not exactly. But by this stage, who's counting? Moore is having it three ways and asserting everything and nothing. Again—simply not serious."

What? No, he doesn't! He just points out the disparity in that one of the few things which has been used in the past to threaten an aircraft is perfectly legal, presumably in order to prove the point that the US government are not really all that bothered about National Security - especially when lobbied by powerful people, such as the tobacco industry.

The next paragraph, I've already covered these issues. Influence is NOT the same as control.

The following paragraph about the source of the soldiers - Hitchin again raises his afghanistan points - waffles incoherently for a bit. Then talks about the soldiers coming from poor families issue.

Here, Hitchins does a major and obvious twisting of Moores words, which I'll go into if you wish, but am tired and think that its obvious.

Quote: "Indeed, Moore's affected and ostentatious concern for black America is one of the most suspect ingredients of his pitch package. In a recent interview, he yelled that if the hijacked civilians of 9/11 had been black, they would have fought back, unlike the stupid and presumably cowardly white men and women (and children). Never mind for now how many black passengers were on those planes—we happen to know what Moore does not care to mention: that Todd Beamer and a few of his co-passengers, shouting "Let's roll," rammed the hijackers with a trolley, fought them tooth and nail, and helped bring down a United Airlines plane, in Pennsylvania, that was speeding toward either the White House or the Capitol. There are no words for real, impromptu bravery like that, which helped save our republic from worse than actually befell. The Pennsylvania drama also reminds one of the self-evident fact that this war is not fought only "overseas" or in uniform, but is being brought to our cities. Yet Moore is a silly and shady man who does not recognize courage of any sort even when he sees it because he cannot summon it in himself. To him, easy applause, in front of credulous audiences, is everything."

Strikes me as an obvious and cheap attack on the man (which deliberately misquotes him), not the film.

The next para is utterly irrelevant as Hitchins delves further into personal attacks.

The next para is a challenge to Moore, which is a bit cheap.

With the next paragraph, he goes back to expressing his opinions, but doesn't actually pick up on points raised.

And the last few paragraphs are somewhat floral examples of solid opinion in place of fact and can be ignored.

Phew.

Sorry, if I glossed over a few paras, was getting tired. If I've missed or failed to answer any points, please let me know and I'll rectify that, its not deliberate.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 10:28
Congrats, GCEclipse
That was LONG
How did you write so long?

WWSD?
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 10:31
I don't know...I think I may have rushed the end bit a little. I wanted to answer the Hitchins essay as point by point as I could.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 10:43
Quote: "I think it was foolish to invade Iraq. There's certainly no question many mideastern countries are harboring terrorists, but this wasn't the right action, time, or place to deal with that problem (waiting for the asinine UN council would have been a worse move however). However, I think that although we did the wrong thing initially, the results have been good."

I was also against the war before it started (and remain so) I think it remains to be seen whether it will turn out ok for the people of iraq, but I concede that the results have the potential to be good for them.

That said, I still think that the war should never have happened in the first place.

Onto your specific points:

Quote: "-1. All of the civilian and military Iraqi casualties from the war do not equal up to one quarter of the civilians Saddam Hussain slaughtered every year to keep his citizens in fear of him. (I'll note that if Moore and Kerry both had their way, Saddam and his psycotic crime family would still run the place)."

No one at any point said Saddam was a nice guy. In fact, I felt at the time that he should be removed. But I felt that this was not the way to do it.

Quote: "--2. While there have been horrible mistreatments of Iraqi prisinors, and these acts are certainly things to worry about and try to stop, keep in mind that most of the coalition-run prisons are very humane... and that Saddam Hussain had people murdered for no reason... quite a contrast to imprisoning people without telling them the reason (though neither is ideal or good)."

I never said they weren't - I think most people understand that some people will go nuts in a time of high pressure and seeing your friends killed doesn't help.

Quote: "--3. We have not taken a drop of oil from Iraq. Period. While nobody seems to argue that anymore, it was the #1 liberal reason Bush was evil a year ago, I recall quite vividly. Leftists have quietly retracted that argument as time goes on and we don't lay a hand on Iraqi oil."

It doesn't take a great deal of investigation to find out that certain deals are being made. Even if there has been no oil gain as yet, rest assured that there will be.

Quote: "--4. The Iraqi people have not been subjected to the 'American way' or forced to adopt a US-run government. If this was so, don't you think the fundamentalist Christian Bush would have stopped them from making the Islam religion a given fact for the Iraqi constitution? The Iraqi people are now chosing their own way of life-- not Bush's and not Saddam's."

Then why are they still barred from forming Unions? Why has a law been passed forbidding abortions? Why has their economy been deregulated for foreign investment? Why is the interim government selling off hospitals, electricity etc?

Quote: "I think it'd be pretty damn bad if we started making a habit out of this, but it's pretty obvious we won't. This has cost too many lives and too much money to be part of any intelligent conquest scheme."

I cannot agree, threatening noises towards Syria and Iran have already been made, althougth I really hope you are right and I am wrong on this one.

Quote: "I do think it's good we're moving further away from the UN; hopefuly that will continue in the future.
"

I don't agree, the UN (flawed as it is) is the last bastion of any attempt at international law left, to move away from it seems a step towards anarchy and survival of the strongest.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 19:06
Thought I'd add my views

- Saddam was a bad man. He killed many innocents.

- However, no army came charging in to invade Rwanda after the genocide there in the early 1990s.

- By international law, any country can do what it wants within its own borders. You can't invae a country because you don't like the way it is run.

- We invaded Iraq because they were supposedly harbouring WMD. That is a reason to invade. However, as Cheney / Kay and Blair have admitted, there were none.

So we've now invaded a country ilegally.

We are an occupying force.

That's all I have to say

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 22:48
Let me start by saying I have never liked or supported Bush, Gore won the election, anyway....

I didnt like the idea of us invading iraq, and the only reason I supported it was they were sure he had wmd's. I thought to myself "they have come out and said it everywhere, TV, the UN, everywhere, that Iraq has wmd's, there's no way they could be lying..."

They were lying. Bush was lying - right to our faces.

The "fear machine" keeps rolling, as we "consume". -sick

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 00:47
Quote: "The "fear machine" keeps rolling, as we "consume". -sick"

yep

Amist the Blue Skies...
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 01:16 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 01:17
Ok I decided to make a quick summary of the Iraq policy of the USA of the past 60 years, cuz wihtout knowing this you can't really judge about the legimety of the Iraq war!
Make your own opinion of this.

1. the begining of the oil-policy:

EVERY US-president classified the control of the oil in the middle east as a vital interest of the USA.
The first attempt of the USA at making a military base in Dhararam (Saudi Arabia, 1944) was however rejected by the Saudi Arabian government.
This time the USA never cared about the fact that most countries in middle east were feudal and had a repressive policy.
After WW2 the USA got the role of the British: holding of the status quo...
The aim of the USA was to spread their control over a high amount of little countries which are politically unstable and needed the support of the outside in order to exist.
That's where the Nixon-Doktrien comes into the play:
the Nixon-Doktrien is a strategy to control the oil ressources in the middle east (2/3 of the whole oil ressources are located in the middle east BTW)
The Nixon-Dotktrien bases on establishing of governors in the 3rd world, who are economically and militarily supported in order to represent the interests of the USA.
In the middle east those countries were Iran, Israel and Saudi Arabia.
Not to mention that all those countries were dictatorships, very similar to Iraq.
Iran was the responsible for the oil policy of the USA (5 of the 6 big oil companies were American).

2. the 1980s

In 1979 the governor in Iran, Shah Reza Pahlevi - a cruel dictator - was killed by islamic fundamentalists under the lead of Ayatollah Khomeni.
So the most important representant of the USA in the middle east was omitted. (because there was no separation between state and religion, so they would have never represented the interests of the USA)
The consequence for the USA was to find a new representant in order to control the oil

=> IRAQ (1979!!!)

"Why Iraq and not Kuwait for example?" you may ask now.
The answer is simple:
Iraq was the only country in the middle east that was able to oppose against Iran.
The USA encouraged Iraq to fight against Iran -> Iraq-Iran war! (caused by USA!)
In 1982 the Iraq was deleted of the list of "terrorism-states" by the USA
in 1983 the USA resumed the diplomatical relations with Iraq.
France supplied weapons and the USA civil planes and helicopters.
Since 1983 Iraq recieved 100 Million $ every year from the USA
(USA said for agricultural purposes, but it was obvious Iraq used all the money for military armament).

->Iraq became the new representant of the USA in the middle east.

3. 1st golf war (Iraq vs. Kuwait)

the borders between Kuwait and Iraq were made by the British, tho the Iraq never accepted them.
Responsible for the war then were the "Rumalia-oil fields" in Kuwait (near to the border to Iraq)
Iraq accused Kuwait to get their oil by diggin diagonally into the ground so that they get the oil that actually belongs to Iraq.
I'm not sure if that's true or not tho.
But it doesn't actually matter. The fact is that the Iraq attacked Kuwait and the USA did not do anything against it at first.
Why? again the answer is simple: Iraq had depts with Kuwait (around []70-80 billion $!!!![/b]) so the war was welcome because this way their representant doesn't need that money anymore.
But Saddam H. wasn't content with the "Rumalia oil-fields", he wanted to take over the whole country.
After that the USA attacked the Iraq which was supported for this war. (Probably because they were surprised by the dimension of the attack)

4. the 2nd golf war

on 20th March 2003 the USA attacked the Iraq with the reason of Massive Desctruction Weapons that should be located in Iraq.
Tho not to say that it was NEVER proven that those WMDs in Iraq exist.
The UNO even said that they didn't find anything.
You wanna tell me USA attacked Iraq to free the poor innocent ppl from the bad Saddam? Obviously no! USA even gave Saddam the power! and the USA never cared about deaths in Iran, Palestina, Chechnya or whereever, so why should they suddenly care? (and why in Iraq?)
it's obvious what's the real reason why they attacked Iraq: THE OIL (and maybe to garantee the supremacy of Israel in the middle east (Iraq could attack them))
All the people were cheated by the Bush-administration.
The USA played around in the middle east just for their own interest and they did not care about human lives. And suddenly they should care about the people in Iraq? after they were responsible for millions of deaths?
The answer is NO. it was the oil!

Ok on the end i also added a bit of my opinion, but if anyone wants, he can surely try to bring better arguments!
History tells us everything!

Thx for reading.

Tomy

PS. i have to say as a neutral reader Rob K's statement was the absolutely best! You don't sound very reliable by telling Moore is just a liar and the film is ridiculous... be a little bit more objective - there are also good things on the movie

EDIT: sorry for my bad English

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.ne1.net
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 01:40
it is sad that myself and my fellow countrymen are hated by the world (as Americans) because of the sick policies of our government. We are taxed to death to pay for their stupid sh*t, and are expendable at their whims. Something has to be seriously wrong here.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 02:31
Quote: "Why has a law been passed forbidding abortions? "

...thank heavens. There's a ray of hope.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 02:36
Try not to stray away too much from the subject,it'll get even touchier if abortion gets mixed in and the topic has been quite informative so far(flamebait??you decide)

-Andy Bell
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 02:48 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 02:50
Sorry. I actually was trying to change the subject because I'm far too worn out to reply to all this right now (and quite probably all day) and these generally degrade into flamewars and get locked in the end anyhow. I'd like to see the debate go on, but unfortunatly I haven't really seen anyone else with a convservative opinion on the war who has enough source material to put together a solid argument. Perhaps that'll drive me to reply to all this eventually but I'm simply too tired right now.

I'll just lay down a few points.

CattleRustler-> I think your perspective is rather skewed. If you want to know what 'expendable' really is look at Taliban-run countries. Expendable means military can put a bullet in your head whenever they feel the whim too. It doesn't mean that men of 18 years or more are sent out to dangerous war-time situations... as wrong as that may be.

Tomy-> I'd be interesting in seeing a single good source for some of those things ($100 million to Iraq every year? I seriously doubt it). It all sounds incredibly far-fetched (liberal New World Order fear) to me.

Cattle 1st Post->
Quote: "They were lying. Bush was lying - right to our faces."

Just because he was wrong doesn't mean he was lying. If Saddam didn't have weapons of mass destruction it wasn't for lack of trying-- sure that's no reason to attack, but he has, in the past, used illegal chemical weapons in a war that was illegal in the first place; he's propogated ridiculous quantities of operations that are illegal under international law, and cooperated as little as possible with UN surveys in the first place. We made a mistake... it happens.

Most Importantly

I don't give a damn, and I don't think Bush does either (which is a credit to his character) if international law dictates that it's wrong to undermine a dictator who slaughters thousands of innocent civilians every year and makes a policy of attacking neighboring countries and using illegal chemical weapons. It's right, and we have saved heaven knows how many lives by doing this. Millions probably. The Iraqi people are now trying Saddam in their own court, writing their own constitution and laying down there own laws, as it should be. And IMHO, anyone who thinks it's wrong to save so many lives and give so many people freedom... has a problem. (Not pointing a finger at anyone here. I think it's ignorance that makes so many people hate the war.)

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 02:50
I think my point also stands for the main topic as well

-Andy Bell

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:36:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:36:15