Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Micheal Moore:Pirate my movie,it's ok!(Fahrenheit 9/11)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 02:51
Here's an interesting quote--

Quote: "There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein was a ruthless killer, and that his regime was dictatorial, murderous and repugnant.

Around one million Iraqis died as a result of Hussein's wars and policies. Up to 730,000 Iranians perished during the Iran-Iraq War. An estimated 1,000 Kuwaiti nationals were killed following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. As many as 200,000 Iraqis died in the ensuing Gulf War. Approximately 500,000 Iraqi children died because of international trade sanctions introduced after the war.

Between 60,000 and 100,000 Iraqi dissidents and Shi'ite Muslims are estimated to have been killed during Hussein's reign. Over 100,000 Kurds were killed or "disappeared". (Mass graves discovered following the US occupation of Iraq in 2003 suggest that the total combined figure for Kurds, Shi'ites and dissidents killed could be as high as 300,000). Amnesty International estimates that at the time of Hussein's downfall in April 2003 there were about 300,000 Iraqi refugees around the world, with over 200,000 residing in Iran. Other sources claim between three and four million Iraqis, or about 15% of the population, fled the country seeking refuge. "

Actually from a site that disagrees with the war, which should vouch for the statistics' honesty for the Bush-haters here

Shooting for Eternium Man.
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 03:06 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 03:08
Ok i don't have much time right now so i'm only responding to this one

Quote: "I think your perspective is rather skewed. If you want to know what 'expendable' really is look at Taliban-run countries."

*cough*USA payed 3 billion dollar to the taliban in cold war*cough*

i think CattleRustler meant things like that

PS. i think this discussion wasn't a flame war at all...
Everyone's just stating his opinion and it shouldn't get locked, cuz it's informative for everyone

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.ne1.net
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 03:12
Yes, but often they get worse & out of hand. Back when Apollo was young there was a post in the WIP forum that was something like six pages long and everyone was screaming death threats at everyonse else in the thread after a while... nasty business. As long as everyone stays calm it's fine, but it gets bad when people see or make personal attacks.

So far this thread is going well .

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 04:02
Well, we gave a lot of money to everyone in the cold war, trying to get them to join our side and giving them the proper funding to fight back against the commies. I don't know if this is different, but the coms did stuff like this too.

WWSD?
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 04:08
The Cold War was a real mess.

Come to think of it, all of history was a real mess.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 04:18
What I meant by "expendable" was human lives of US Soldiers. Our gov't gets us into horrible predicaments then throws US men and women's bodies at the problems, along with all of our tax dollars.

Quote: ""...You're another soul to feed to the Man's machine..."
-Take A Number by Stone Sour"

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - July, 2004 * Click Logo
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 04:23
Quote: "Our gov't gets us into horrible predicaments then throws US men and women's bodies at the problems, along with all of our tax dollars."

I disagree about our government getting the country into horrible predicaments in this particular instance, but about throwing bodies, well, that's how war works. Strange, isn't it? Depressing and ironic too... but that's the way of things. This war is one of the better ones however... fought humanely, and, unlike other wars we've been involved with in the past, a good deal of the people we're killing are really 'bad guys'.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 04:30
Yeah, I think we've managed to avoid a flame war or direct attacks on people for their opinions.

Quote: "I don't give a damn, and I don't think Bush does either (which is a credit to his character) if international law dictates that it's wrong to undermine a dictator who slaughters thousands of innocent civilians every year and makes a policy of attacking neighboring countries and using illegal chemical weapons."

International law does not say that at all. Intervention is allowed with a United Nations Security Council resolution. It does say that it is not ok for states to act alone or virtually alone in an invasion of a sovereign nation.

There are plenty of dictators in the world, many of them much more brutal and sadistic than Saddam.

To quote some examples:

Saudi Arabia has a history of repression of its own people. In fact, I understand it has the worst human rights of all the countries in the region including Iraq.

Turkey has within the last ten years perpetrated hideous acts on its kurdish population in the south of the country, which bears a very close approximation to ethnic cleansing. Israel has for years crushed the palestinian population in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.

What is the difference between those countries and Iraq. I'll tell you, the USA has in the past and continues to economically or politicly or militarily (or in all 3 ways) help those countries.

When the rest of the world sees double standards on that scale, it has to suspect the US administrations motives. Ask yourself, how can it not?

In fact, to raise a point that was mentioned before, during the time of Saddams worst atrocity - the gassing of the kurds, both the US and UK actually INCREASED arms sales to Iraq. What are we saying with actions like that - its obvious. We are saying "Its ok. Go ahead. Kill some more.".

The undermining of international law will never be a good thing, trust me on this. You may not see it now, but you will.

Quote: "It's right, and we have saved heaven knows how many lives by doing this. Millions probably. The Iraqi people are now trying Saddam in their own court, writing their own constitution and laying down there own laws, as it should be. And IMHO, anyone who thinks it's wrong to save so many lives and give so many people freedom... has a problem. (Not pointing a finger at anyone here. I think it's ignorance that makes so many people hate the war.)"

Your point about ignorance is a very interesting one, because I believe the exact opposite. I think if the pro war people knew more about the ramifications, the broader picture, our own actions and culpability in the existance of these dictators, they might well take a different viewpoint.

Anyway, nobody argued with that objective. Nobody argued that Saddam was a good guy. People were arguing about whether it is the appropriate means to do it and the real motives for the USA action.

Let me tell you a few facts about Iraq that you probably did not know.

1. Before the sanctions Iraq had the highest literacy rate of all the middle eastern countries.
2. Before the sanctions Iraq had the best record on education (including the education of women).
3. After the first gulf war, Iraqis were encouraged to rise up against Saddam Hussein. They did.

In the south in March of 1991 (immediately after the first gulf war), there was a major uprising in the South by the Shias. It included Iraqi generals who were rebelling. The only thing they asked of the USA was access to iraqi army equipment captured by the US military and protection from Saddams counterattack. Instead the US troops in the region stood by and let them get slaughtered.

Following this the kurds in the north rebelled and, again, the USA (who had troops all over the area) refused to help them.

Had the USA allowed the rebellion in the south access to that equipment, they would have had weapons to defend themselves with - it was a opportunity to get rid of Saddam Hussein, yet it wasn't taken.

Also, you paint a very rosy picture of Iraq now. It sounds all lovely and cuddly, did you forget the daily bombings? All I say to that one is we have to wait and see what the eventual outcome of all this is. I see a very huge potential for the country to descend into anarchy or back into dictatorship, and the book is not yet closed on whether things will eventually be better for the Iraqis.

Incidentally, have you forgotton about afghanistans. The power of the USA puppet president, Karzai, does not extend far beyond Kabul's borders and the country is now under the control of warlords. And the taliban is coming back. Even if you cannot accept the arguments about Iraq, surely you accept that you should finish the first before you go onto the next?

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 04:33
Quote: "a good deal of the people we're killing are really 'bad guys'."

Mouse, that statement is so wrong in so many ways...

Please give your definition of a 'bad guy' (this time you do sound like a racist, or just ignorant).

Amist the Blue Skies...
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 04:39
Quote: "it is sad that myself and my fellow countrymen are hated by the world (as Americans) because of the sick policies of our government."

I think most reasonable people are able to discern between the US government and the US people. I have always found the Americans in my acquiantance to be amongst the warmest and most peace loving people I have met and do not judge them because of the actions of their government.

There seems to be a nasty tendancy for people to bandy about the term "anti-american" when a more logical term would be "anti american government".

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 05:18 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 05:22
Quote: "Also, you paint a very rosy picture of Iraq now. It sounds all lovely and cuddly, did you forget the daily bombings? All I say to that one is we have to wait and see what the eventual outcome of all this is. I see a very huge potential for the country to descend into anarchy or back into dictatorship, and the book is not yet closed on whether things will eventually be better for the Iraqis."

It's not us that are making the bombings, it's religious extremists. Who probably wouldn't do that if they weren't being urged on by (IMHO insane) zealots who promote suicide bombings. Hopefuly this will eventually die down. Just to make sure I'm clear here, I have nothing against strongly religious people of just about any following (perhaps satanists I would have a problem with ), but in this particular situation, 'normal' people are being turned into living bombs by these clerics.

Quote: "Please give your definition of a 'bad guy' (this time you do sound like a racist, or just ignorant)."

I can't go into defining good and evil here, too little time, and it'd go off topic. But my point was that we gave humane treatment to any Iraqi military who didn't fire at us, and the death rate has been extremely low in comparisin to other wars-- a good deal of the people our troops have slain were either loyal followers of Saddam's regime or the aforementioned extremists (who are not evil, I grant, but merely very... confused). I'm sure many relatively innocent people have perished, which is sad, but everything in this war seems to point to more of the casualties being... well... evil. Not all, not most, but more. And that's better than less.

Quote: "There seems to be a nasty tendancy for people to bandy about the term "anti-american" when a more logical term would be "anti american government"."

Because unfortunatly a great many people don't share your intelligent point of view of the situation, and don't discern between the American government and the American people. It's disgustingly common to run into people on the net who will gladly start flaming ones ass off just because one is from the USA. I cannot help but point out the irony that in my ~4 years using the internet I have only once seen someone from the US getting away with saying anything similar about anyone because they're from another country. It's wrong either way, but of those who aren't aggresively against the US people, a good deal turn a blind eye to those who are. (Again I'm not talking 'most', but a good deal).

Now I've got a lot of reading & research to do before I rejoin this discussion with a reply to GC's latest post, so goodbye for now .

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 06:30
@Mouse:
Quote: "but about throwing bodies, well, that's how war works. Strange, isn't it? Depressing and ironic too... but that's the way of things. This war is one of the better ones however... fought humanely"

I see what you are saying but try telling that to the dead soldier's families, and the families of the dead Iraqi innocents.

@GCE:
Quote: "I think most reasonable people are able to discern between the US government and the US people. I have always found the Americans in my acquiantance to be amongst the warmest and most peace loving people I have met and do not judge them because of the actions of their government.There seems to be a nasty tendancy for people to bandy about the term "anti-american" when a more logical term would be "anti american government""

Thanks for the kind words, and yes you are a reasonable person - someone needs to tell the next suicide pilots to not fly the next set of planes into manhattan (a few miles from my home, within line of sight) but into the Govenment buildings in Washington DC, thats where most of the us gov't is hanging out

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 06:38
Quote: "try telling that to the dead soldier's families, and the families of the dead Iraqi innocents."

Quote: "someone needs to tell the next suicide pilots to not fly the next set of planes into manhattan (a few miles from my home, within line of sight) but into the Govenment buildings in Washington DC, thats where most of the us gov't is hanging out"

Hmm, interesting contrast

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 06:41 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 06:44
Lord Ozzum-> You're one type, and I have done my research. There's another type of 'satanist' that does advocate evil and who do worship the Christian (er, version of the) devil. They're bad, I know, I've encountered them. The 'dissident religion' types tend to be much better people. Though still misled, IMHO... demons, devil, they don't exist to me. I think a more wise religion to follow for those types would be classical paganism-- not gaia, not wicca, but paganism in its original form-- as satanism is often just a knee-jerk reaction to people who feel 'betrayed' by the church and haven't done extensive research. Just my two cents.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 06:44
Lord Ozzums post deleted.

Let's just keep to one subject here - this post is close enough to the line as it is

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 06:48 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 06:50
EDIT:
*Sorry for being off subject*

WWSD?
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 07:09
Ozzum, if you want to continue discussing this, I'd be glad to in a new thread .

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 07:25
Ok Mouse

WWSD?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 08:03
Mouse please dont think I am attacking you - you are a furry brother to me

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 08:03
could you start it? I don't know what to say

WWSD?
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 08:16
Cattle-> I hope you don't mean furry as in furry

Nah I don't, and I hope you don't think of me either. I think you're pretty cool .

Ozzum-> I was thinking you'd just post what you were going to post in the above edited post and the post could carry on from there. Post post post. Post.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 08:19
ok, I will. I did save some text and all.

WWSD?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 09:15
<hugs Mouse>
I meant "furry" as in "fur" - like the fighting fur-ball that you are

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 10:30
Why thanks

I suppose that makes you a fighting bovine-- like this one: http://www.gilcon.net/meridian/Creature-get.asp?ID=71 !

Cheers

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
*Repeating GCEclipse's words*

only here i have to add something:

Quote: "
I think most reasonable people are able to discern between the US government and the US people. I have always found the Americans in my acquiantance to be amongst the warmest and most peace loving people I have met and do not judge them because of the actions of their government.

There seems to be a nasty tendancy for people to bandy about the term "anti-american" when a more logical term would be "anti american government".
"

Actually in Europe many ppl don't make the difference between ppl and government - in Switzerland USA is VERY unpopular for example (and also the ppl - not just the government)
(i'm not saying this is my opinion it's just to show you how popular (or unpopular) USA is in Switzerland.
Tho i just think Anti-American isn't the same as "DISLIKING", anti-american is a far more radical term so it shouldn't be used for everyone who says something against the USA.

BTW an interesting fact, which also shows that CattleRustler was actually right about USA becoming unpopular:

-In Switzerland 80% are more on the side of the terrorists rather than on the USA's side.

Quote: "a good deal of the people we're killing are really 'bad guys'."

*cough* Vietnam *cough*
*cough* Palestina *cough*

hm.. kinda like that cough-thingy

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.ne1.net
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 12:52
@ Mouse, actually that was my uncle but thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:30:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:30:14