Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Cant seem to get much too work

Author
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 08:40
I am a little frustrated, hence u will see quite a few.... questions here on the forumn. Years ago (I am only 33 now!!!!) i used to program games easily in basic on spectrum, etc, etc.. and have just started programming in DB PRO. However when i enter code demos, or indeeed follow instructions to load bsp worlds in or cartographer shops i cant seem to get it right. Even a few lines of code what are printed to help load a cartographer world in doesnt seem to render the result????

I looked at the tutorial in the dark basic manual for the FPS shooter. Rather than type it in, i just took the segment of code to load a bsp and skymap in - and copy the objects out of the directory into its own on my C DRIVE. The world would not load in. I did find if i set the cammera range to 1,100000!!!!! then a small sky sphere thing would appear. Now my question is this - if i typed in the code exactly as it is - ad it works within the framework of the program in the tutorial why will it not work for me!!!!! The same is when i design a map in Geoscape or a level in cartographer - i cant seem to get them to load as they are.... Can anyone please supply me with some code that will load levels in from geoscape/cartographer shop(definatlly this) so i can load my levels in as i did them. Also a previous question i had was why my levels dont look the same - and someone replied check that all textures and graphics have been saved - and they were..... I am a little frustrated at such simple tasks......

Steve
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 12:23

That should load pretty much any .x file. Do you get an error message or does the program run?

gl and hf
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 21:41
Hi thanks for that - i will try it now

On one of the .x files i tried to load - it said 3d file could not be loaded. All the others just dont appear at all, no matter what camera angle - or they dont appear as i have done them.

Steve
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 22:49
Post the code that isn't working, also make sure you have DirectX 9.0b installed.

SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 05:51
Stevie,
I also think this has to do a lot with the scale of the object, and it's placement inside the 3D space. While your models may indeed be within range of the camera if set to infinity, (I love that; but that's another topic) the scale and cull operations are the source of your troubles. Cull with cut anything effectively too close or large, and scale and placement determine what you can see. Sadly, you have to read over the example much more close in many cases to reproduce the images you see in them.

Patience. It will come, after you gained a few bumps on your head from beating it against the screen.
S.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:35:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:35:08