Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Omaen: Praumos Revelation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 12:35
I will be developing a "Demo Game" to be included with my portfolio; the idea of the game is to showcase my work. So I have desided to use DBP to develop this "Demo Game"

I have started by sketching this map, to use as my learning reference guide, once finished I "think" I will be able to expand the "Demo Game" (nothing complicated)

Any advice / critics are very welcome, so please if you had the time to read this, leave a simple message, just to know what u are thinking and how can I improve the project!

Well I hope you guys give me a hand and enjoy the creation of the project!

Here is the sketch for the map (nothing fancy)

Thank you!
ArsA

- Just Me!
The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 13:35
What's the game about? And have you had any progress on it yet? Screens are always welcome. Maybe you can let us try what you have of the demo game so far?

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 13:41
Yeah "Demo Game" doesnt tell us much, cmon tell us more

"Think what you like, You'll all be mine in the end."

[href]www.DotBinary.dbspot.com[/href]
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 13:43 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 13:43
The Lynx, Mind Storm 101 ,

Probably I wasn't clearn enough in my post, I just "started" the creation of the project. I have some models, but eventually they will change, so there is no point in showing them "YET"

I will beging by creating the world map, trying to achive a good visual world map. (Begining with the one small continent, to get used to DBP, and so forth.

Thank you for the input!

- Just Me!
The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 14:11
Sounds good and all, but we are eager for info on the game itself. Like what's the story, what's the main theme at least?

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 14:36 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 14:48
My apologies!

The "Demo Game" will be a showcase; I will use this as part of my electronic portfolio, to showcase my skills in the different areas of gamming development as a whole. (2D, 3D, Development skills, etc)

The actual story line is pretty complex for me to explain since English is my second language; but here goes a try

"Demo Game" Info

Game type: RPG/STRATEGY/ACTION - is a mixture among these well known genders (3rd person view).

Game Plot: Basically you are the "user" for an environmental control prototype, (as the game itself, will be a prototype).

Story line: (Basic) you get access to the environmental prototype, everything will look fine, but after a while of playing the game, you will notice changes in the environment, and creatures (showcase) start acting weird. The user "character" will try to logout the program, and in this "cut scene" the user (face will not be shown) will notice that whatever happened inside the prototype is not only happening inside of what they call the prototype.

Praumos Revelation is the name for the "Demo game" as it will explain, the stuff as follow:

Omaen = this is the interface, the world manipulator, the environmental controller. Is like a computer software that keeps the connection between the prototype = Praumos and the so called "real world"

The character in game will experience calls from the "real world" inside Praumos, ( to make it simple )

Praumos is alive - meaning, Praumos core - planet core (the actual place) is alive. The "people" "humans" think that this place only exist in their "computers" but what they do not expect is that the place actually EXIST and they have opened a way IN to this place through Omaen!

And of course the planet itself wont like it, inside the planet there are others races (intelligent races ) and they wont like it either, so the actual story begins at the end of the demo (showcase)

So if everything goes smooth for me right after finishing Revelation, I will start working on the second part (is already written), the second part is actually part 1, here you will interact more with Praumos, using Omaen, you will meet different races, Magic, mecha, creatures, war, among others

Hope this helps!
Cheers

- Just Me!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 14:53 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 14:53
Mind Storm 101 ,

I just finished looking at your web site! sweet stuff man, it seems like you can help me get started ( if you have the time that is )

What are you using to edit the world?

Keep the good work!
Cheers

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 17:06
Thx, check out Multiscape by Hammish, credits to him. Its good for nice organic landscapes, but the towns and such are a .x file.

Quote: "The user "character" will try to logout the program"

Remindes me of Hack//Sign

Need anything just ask

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 17:24 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 17:31
in hack sign Sucasa could not "Log Out at all" in my story there is a more explanatory explanation for why the character cannot logout.

eventually u will be able to logout, since the game is not based upon "the logout myth" as in .Hack

Thank for your reply

So lets begin with the questions.

#1 - I'm currently using that program, but it seems to run "VERY" slow in my computer.

specifications - win XP - 2.5 GH, 1 G Ram, Nvidia G4 Ti"something" lots of Free space

I created a 100 x 100 matrix and it runs very slow, have any sugestions ?

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 20:08
Muliscape? Humm, Is it FPS slow or is it kinda choppy when you alter things, cause thats normal (The maps I use are 30x30 scaled x5000) so it saves on memory and editing time, you loose terrain detail but its faster/ezer.

If its laggy threwout (mouse is choppy, buttons lag) then ask Hammish, hes around there forms and would be happy to help.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 22:13 Edited at: 10th Jul 2004 22:38
Quote: "in hack sign Sucasa could not "Log Out at all" in my story there is a more explanatory explanation for why the character cannot logout.

eventually u will be able to logout, since the game is not based upon "the logout myth" as in .Hack"

Sorry to go off topic, but A) His name is spelled Tsukasa. B) Did you know that Tsukasa is able to log out at the end of .Hack//Sign?

And, .hack's story is a bit more in depth than a "logout myth". .hack//Sign is just the beginning. Story continues into four games, four short movies, and a whole second series, all revolving around the creation of the ultimate AI, Aura, and some force trying to stop Aura's creation and completion by any means possible.

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I just felt the need to correct a few things that caught my eye and bugged the living daylights out of me

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 02:24
No prob Preston Chaderton, I own the serie and no " I DID NOT WANTED TO TALK MUCH ABOUT .HACK, because the thread will become .hack sign related (like right now). So please a nottice to others, if you feel like My spelling of the name Tsukasa as Sucasa is wrong, guess what, In my language = the same, therefore even if you where right by quoting me, you still out of place with your comment. But thank you for your opinion ...

(Please no more .Hack Sign Stuff)

--- Back to the MAIN TOPIC ---

Mind Storm 101: The problem is when editing stuff, is HELL slow, I cannot see the changes, but I will try the same Settins you just gave me.

Thanks
Cheers!
Peace!

- Just Me!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 03:37 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 03:48
Good News

I wasn't using the program correctly, but now that you gave me an input I could find my way around it. I'm using a little bit more than the setting you specify. Well not a lot more just a bit!

Here is the first terrain created as a practice

Enjoy!
Cheers!

Question?
Should I build many pieces of land and then put them togueter using DBP or another program?

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 07:24
Quote: "Should I build many pieces of land and then put them togueter using DBP or another program?"

Humm... I dont know of any programs that glues terrains togeather, that would be nice. What im doing is that when you near the border of the area it loads you to the next one. Im still not happy with that method tho, cause its choppy and disorienting.

Anyone with another method?

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 10:19 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 10:29
Maya is really good, I exported a (creature) Slime + animation + texture to a .x file and loaded the x file and it contains all the info needed, texture coordinates and animatin frames. Only diferent thing is that the key frames are 10x10 1/5 or something like that. A 10 keyframes animation, must be played at speed = 1000 and frames 1 thrugh 1500, I'm still ooking around the export window to se if there is anything else I can check/uncheck to avoid this.

Moving the character: I think my movement system is wrong or not well designed/coded. I have seeing others with a lot less code on it, mine has too many lines? Wonders why? LOL!

Well at least I had the privilege of seeing one of the creatures walking around + walking animation... cool!

So after coding this stuff I realized 4 things:
a) I cannot control the camera
b) Im specifying values instead of letting the character turn smoothly
c) Im not using the Wrapvalue()
d) It sucks

Cheers!

Here is a picture of the slime ( Nothing Fancy )

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 20:27 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 20:30
Yeah... definatly too long.

Replace all the specifed angles with

if upkey()=1 then move object 1,1
if downkey()=1 then move object 1,-1
if leftkey()=1 then inc a#,1
if rightkey()=1 then dec a#,1
yrotate object 1,wrapvalue(a#)

Just off the top of my head, might need to tweek the inc/dec so it goes the right way along with the values if its 2 slow.

that will enable your... slime... to turn wich ever way. UNLESS you want him to go only, left, right, forwards, backwards like in a board game.

Hey if your decent at modeling/animating/texturing perhaps you could help me out with my RPG Project. Im asking out (no not a date) anyone who can do humans/monsters (organic), no luck yet

[EDIT] Also if your using DBPro then look into the SET OBJECT TO FOLLOW command, it does wonders for me in my battle mode the camera swigs from one position to the next while my... cubes... cast majic at eachother! Yay! Fun, pointless violence... without the paperwork.[EDIT]

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 00:51 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 00:53
LOL! I knew it was HELL too long... pointless....

O well, thanks for the tip again! I will be working on the character movement.

Regarding your offer (your project), I do not want to say "NO I cant", the problem is that in order for me to say yes, I would have to scarify lots of my spare time; you see I only work on my DBP project Friday night, Saturday morning till noon, and Sunday morning till afternoon, I don't actually have lot of time. I can try my best and model something for you, to thank you for your help. But I don’t want to say " Hey Sure I will help you " and then not having the time to do so.

PS: I work for the government and sometimes (like right now) we have to stay extra hours to meet deadlines.

Cheers!

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 07:16
lol, no problem, had to ask. Goverment eh?... OH NO! The CIA's watching this form for terrorists! AH *hides the AK-47s and homemade pipe bombs*

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 08:16
Not that kind of government, lol!

Hey the code you gave for moving the character is sweet, simple! I'm working on how to export Maya .x files with correct texture properties, I will create the meshes in maya export them as .x and work from there.

- Just Me!
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 11:21
Hey your project looks nice what did ya use to make the levels with?

A 1 man team
EVIL SIG!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 08:16
Quote: "Hey your project looks nice what did ya use to make the levels with?"

Oneka production, I'm from Hampton too nice to meet you! Who are you asking this question to?

Cheers!

- Just Me!
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 10:51
cool what part of hampton? I live in fox hill o and the pic you showed what did you make it with? cuz iam making a RPG too and Iam looking for something to make my landscape with

A 1 man team
EVIL SIG!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 11:40
I live close to Lasalle Ave ( really closed to the WMCA)

The matrix editor Im using is called multiscape, you can make a search in the forums, the guy(s) who created is always around.

I'm using Maya too, to make most of the models and exporting them to a .x format.

Cheers!

PS: do you have a website? (mine will be up soon!

- Just Me!
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 03:39
Oo cool my grandma lives near Lasalle
yeah I dont have a website yet I dont quite know how to use Dbspot
yet....but iam using Gamespace to do my models hope your game goes great!

A 1 man team
EVIL SIG!
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 07:55
well I have a website now hope to see yours soon!

Making better games everday!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 23:31
Nice, nice
Sorry I did not post any messages before, like I said I'm pretty bussy at work.

Well I have been working on one of the main characters for the game (the 3d mesh) and is looking good so far. I will show a picture as soon as I finish working the feets.

Is the nude Male character, later I will work the clothing, I have not decided if he is going to start with the armor or not...

I visited your page
Keep the good work!

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 01:48
Cant wait to see it... err... with cloaths that is. If you cant decide on armor or not, just give him an thin outfit that could possibly fit under armor.

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 01:49 Edited at: 18th Jul 2004 01:51
Here is the image of the nude (not finished) male character.
I'm still working on his face - (to add facial expresions) -

Polycount - 1300 ( I'm trying to keep the nude model up to 1500 )
Flat shader

Cheers!

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 04:26
His legs are kinda small, btw, in your first post, how did u make that map? It realy organic an natural, and I have to make a world map for my RPG soon, so im looking into it.

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 05:32
The map was done in photoshop 7, basic (paste) colors, nothing bright.

By the way, about the character legs? Why do you say they look small?(short)

Remember this is a nude figure (modeled from a real human??? proportion is as the human figure I used.

Now Im deforming this mesh, and adding more features of the REAL character (in game)

I use this technique so the body is 99% in proportion, then I deform until I get the result I want.

Cheers!
Did I answer your question about the map?

- Just Me!
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 05:40 Edited at: 18th Jul 2004 05:42
Hey if you used a pic to model the human can I use it to? I need to brush up my model too

Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 05:57 Edited at: 18th Jul 2004 05:58
The picture I used as a reference is a picture of a friend of mine who posed for me ( semi-nude ). I used my digital camera to get the pictures. I do not think is a good idea if both of us use the same pictures for reference, neither for me to post the pictures in a forum. Sorry!

By the way! How often do you guys UPDATE your webpages?

- Just Me!
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 06:01
o ok I thought ya got them from off the web or something
iam gonna update my website in the next fewdays just got it up couple of days ago

Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 06:35
I have the website for my game-portfolio thing Im working on, but have not uploaded to the server... lazy me...

The real reason is because I don't like it, Im going to make a new one. ( in flash )

Cheers

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 10:05
Every other day...

About the map-
What i ment was, how did u get the shape of the continent to look realy natural.

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 10:16 Edited at: 18th Jul 2004 10:24
I have a WACOM Tablet - and the real image size is 300 dpi, size 10 x 10 inches, and I have a lot of experience with map development as well, if you look at my profile it says "world developer" well thats one of the things I do ( hobby-wise )

Hope that helps
cheers!

[edit]
Just copy the colors and try always breaking big continesnts into smaller shapes (island) in the coasts of the continens
[/edit]

- Just Me!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 10:26
you know there is no real reason to model the "nude" part of the model that is going to be under clothes...it's not like you drape the clothes over the model(if you did it would be a big waste of polygons...)

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 11:41
Magellan,

Thanks for your input, but I have my own ways in doing some things, and YES, I do have a reason for the " nude body "

Therefore your input will not be taken in consideration.

Professional Note: Magellan has a strong point by saying what he/she said if I were actually creating a full developed game.

Cheers!

- Just Me!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 15:09
Well, today I finished the "sketch / concept art" for the male character, hope you guys like it!

- Just Me!
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 15:16
Another picture!

- Just Me!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 16:36
Wow very nice, what did u use?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW.Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro?
(Probably Photoshop)

Got anime?
I do.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 22:36
ooookaaayyy...whatever

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I meant to create the texture.

Got anime?
I do.
ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 02:01
I use photoshop 7.0 to create all my 2D art.
Quote: "Anime BLOOD

I meant to create the texture.

"

Texture??? that is not a 3D model, is a 2D Drawing. (concept art)

Cheers!

PS: My website is re-open now (still working on it)

- Just Me!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry that's what I meant, I'm tired... I mean I was tired.
Now I'm not.

Got anime?
I do.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It all looks good! Somebody said that it was pointless to make a nude model, and then put clothes on it, but every tutorial I have looked at does that. Even the creator of Unreal models had a tutorial, and said he did that.

Good 2D, 3D, and landscape work!

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 11:58 Edited at: 19th Jul 2004 12:01
Anime BLOOD:

LoL! I have been there too ( really tired ), sometimes I'm so tired I don’t even know how to "pull a vertex" in my case that is one of the worse things that can happen to me

Pincho Paxton:

Thank you for your input
That is the way I do my models too, nude first, then I build up all sorts of costumes for the character based upon the nude body!

As an example; I'm thinking in building a set of armors that you can change in-game ( just for showing skills purpose ) so the nude body "textured" comes in handy, even though I'm sacrificing some polys. In my case, I think I can handle it, besides it is not "BAD PRACTICE" if you know what you are doing... My personal opinion

But not everybody think the same way " ahead of things " like some of us do!

Cheers!

- Just Me!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 23:27
Quote: "But not everybody think the same way " ahead of things " like some of us do! "

well, that was pridefull

making the nude model first is *okay* it's just that i think there are better ways of doing things...

ArsA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 00:23 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 00:25
Quote: "Quote: "But not everybody think the same way " ahead of things " like some of us do! "
well, that was pridefull

making the nude model first is *okay* it's just that i think there are better ways of doing things... "

Dude give it a rest, nobody is saying you are wrong or anything, by doing it your way, besides "everybody" makes things slighly different in one point or another.

Cheers!

- Just Me!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:35:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:35:06