Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Not sure whether to feel complimented or insulted!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 10:41 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 10:41
Looks like some crawlers just ran over Interkarma's forums (the forums that host my DBP project) and picked my email address up. I'm surprised at how good the bots are getting, just look at the email posted below.

By the way, the stuff about not being on search engines is advertising bollocks of course. Type in 'dfworkshop' and guess what turns up on google .

Has anyone else had this happen with a site they own or use?

Shooting for Eternium Man.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 10:43
Yup.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Check it out. Now.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 12:22
all I can say is if you get some spam with a "Click here to Remove yourself from list" Link....DON'T CLICK IT!

bloody confirmation link is what it is!

but you all knew that, did ya?

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - July, 2004 * Click Logo
DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 12:46 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 12:48
I got a worse one where some company claiming to be 'Domain Registry Services' actually sent me a letter in the post

All looks very official titled 'DOMAIN EXPIRATION NOTICE' followed by 'DO NOT IGNORE THIS NOTICE' yes it was all in caps and the second line in red.

Even I had to read it twice, obviously they got my domain details from from my registration record. Theres several things that annoyed me about this.

Firstly they are obviously trying to hide who they are and that is a totally unsolicted request, it is basically written as if it is a renewal notice/invoice.

Secondly many people would pay this if it came through thier door that and the fact it is misleading. Quote 'Please renew this doamin immediately to ensure service continues uninterrupted. If payment is not made to the registry before the expiry date the domain is subject to immediate suspension and deletion without further notice from us...'
Nice how they do not mention that the registry above is not the same as the registry in thier company name.

Lastly they wanted £60 (approx $90-100 ) for 2 years on a .net, it only costs me £17.98 for 2 years through my ISP.

Then the checky gits have the b*lls to put in the Ts & Cs 'Provider may in its sole discretion, suspend, transfer, cancel or modify a domain name registrant.... ,if you send unsoliceted commercial advertisments..'.

DeepBlue

The coder formerly known as Twynklet.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 20:25
I hate those emails, I even had one that said they really liked the layout on my site! - YEAH RIGHT LMFAO!

Bin it!

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 00:36
LMFAO, i love spam!

Visit the Db chat room, ask me for details!.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 00:52
Quote: "i love spam!"

spam bots probably search for phrases like that...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 07:24
they probably do. I'm glad my email on these forums is fake. In fact...

Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com Iantanafon@ix.netcom.com

I love the thought of those evil little bots wasting effort

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 08:04
@DeepBlue - yep, I got one of those too in the post for one of my domains. Very official looking and very threatening but so obviously a scam as I get my domains from oneandone who invoice me and renew my domains automatically.

My work involves looking after hundreds of domains and the sheer amount of spam we get is frightening. What amazes me is the amount that claim to be within the Can-Spam Act of 2003. What a load of tosh that law is!

I have to take my hat off to some of them though as like Mouse we get loads with screengrabs of our sites included with the mail to make it look more personal and try and get some cash out of us for a service we can do ourselves for free.

We get over 10,000 emails a day through our mail server and I'd say over 95% of it is spam or viruses. What is really annoying is that it uses OUR bandwidth and costs us money to handle all this cr*p.

All the big players are supposedly coming up with ways that will banish spam in the next few years but only time will tell...

Boo!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 08:07
Spam is impossible to really banish. I would draw correlaries to junk mail but that would probably be foolish; the digital concept (infinite copies) changes everything. I think it'll always be around in some form.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 15:48
VanB's site does look cool

WWSD?
DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 16:00
@spooky

Thats rather worrying the letter I got was for a domain hosted by oneandone as well.

I also just got the same email relating to the db forums mouse had, traced it and its from Beijing in China.

The coder formerly known as Twynklet.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 22:43
Quote: "I got a worse one where some company claiming to be 'Domain Registry Services' actually sent me a letter in the post"

WARNING!!! This company has allegedly been dealt with and are on the straight and narrow...I beg to differ.

I challenged them when I received a phone call. I already knew about their scam, from a phone call linked to another of my domain names.

I acted dumb, and asked a few questions, like WHERE NOMINET FIT INTO THEIR WORLD! After around 15 minutes, he realised he had been rumbled, and issued various threats against me and my family. The police were involved due to the nature of the threats.

My advice is this...don't interact with them, fax the paperwork received to 01865 332292 (a Nominet fax number set up to deal with this company).

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:37:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:37:01