Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Space Corps 2...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 23:03
...is on the CD in this months Retro Gamer

Even better is I finally found a PC version of an Amiga shoot-em-up that I used to play a lot.

Are you sensitive enough?
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 16:29
TCA! What happened to your sig! I liked the old one!

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 16:50
I've changed it whilst I promote my game...

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 19:53
Is it? Are you referring to my game or another game called Space Corps ? Mine also heralds from the Amiga era, so i'm confused, I didn't know of another game called Space Corps.

They certainly didn't ask me for permission, and I dont have the rag to know if it's my game.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 19:58
I'll check to make sure its not an appellation faux pas, when I get home...

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 22:28
Andy - I can confirm that yes it is your game. I just whacked in the CD to check, installed it and it comes up with the usual Banshee stuff which I'd say is a good enough indication it's your version

Unless you stated otherwise in your readme files though they didn't need to tell you about including it on their CD. It would have been the nice thing to do I agree, don't get me wrong - but unless you stated otherwise there was no obligation to do so.

If you're interested it was on Issue 5s CD in the "50 PC games" section.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 22:33 Edited at: 13th Jul 2004 22:34
well it doesn't say you can't...

Quote: "If you would like to sponsor a Banshee game, or feature one of our titles on a magazine coverdisk then please do not hesistate to contact us: andy@bansheestudios.com"

It's a bit cheeky. All I actually ever ask is that I get sent a copy and be told the distribution levels of the rag but to not actually be asked permission I find a bit rude.

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well this still makes Bansheestudios more popular - no matter if they asked you or not

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.ne1.net
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 23:23 Edited at: 13th Jul 2004 23:25
I would consider writing to the editor... Have a bit of a moan... Perhaps few light legal threats intermixed with a bit of humour...

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 00:10
Well no need to be heavy, I had a nice chat with a relatively senior person there today and they're sending me out a copy of the rag. The editors going to call me next week so I can assertain if any other Banshee games have featured in previous issues.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 00:51
As far as I know, no they haven't - aside from missing issue 1 (and blowed if I'm paying £30 on eBay for it), I've tried most of software thats come with magazine. Not terribly impressed with the contents of the CD so far (aside from Duck Hunt, SC2 and the shoot-em-up I mentioned at the start) - they either seem to be rather slow (Barbarin remake - Delphi is not a good language to write games in) or crash (Super Fighter thingy game).

The only real reason I got it this month was I wanted to see if they printed a letter I sent - I figured that if I managed to get a letter into the local newspaper (and make myself unpopular with motorists at the same time), I figured the chances were good.

Alas it didn't work out...

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 01:11
Oh well, no chance of me getting free back issues by the sounds of it then :/

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 01:54
Issue 1 used to sell for around £70 on ebay - infact it can still get quite close to that even today.

Thankfully I have all issues anyway, so I don't really care. Actually I have two copies of issues 3, 4 and 5 because they started sending them to me for free - and in 2 issues time the main cover article will be even more awesome than usual, because I wrote it (yeehaaa!)

The editor is on holiday this week. Andy - why don't you change the text in your readme's or title pages to say that if they feature it in a magazine, they can only do so if they send you a copy? Otherwise they're *still* under no obligation to do so! You're lucky they replied (although knowing them it doesn't surprise me), most magazines wouldn't care less having the opinion that you made it available for download (public domain) so they have every right to feature it.

Wow, it's amazing to think that only a few years ago Public Domain Libraries would actually SELL your free games on PD compilation disks - and what's more, we'd actively encourage it. It was quite a status symbol thing to have your game carried by all the top PD libraries.

Oh how times have changed.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 02:13 Edited at: 14th Jul 2004 02:14
Andy ---- that's pretty cool that they featured your game, even if it was without your permission I have just purchased issue #3 of Retro Gamer ($12.99 here in Canada!) and their cover CDs have just Gremlin games for a bunch of different platforms.

Nice work, though-- I would be flattered if a mag placed a game of mine on their cover CD!

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 03:04
Jeku - that issue has Gremlin games, yes. It changes every issue though. Interesting (well, to me!) note: all of the Atari ST Gremlin games on issue 3's CD were compiled and supplied by me I even went through removing various cracktros etc at their request.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 03:53
Quote: "Wow, it's amazing to think that only a few years ago Public Domain Libraries would actually SELL your free games on PD compilation disks - and what's more, we'd actively encourage it. It was quite a status symbol thing to have your game carried by all the top PD libraries."

Actually this still happens, certainly it's not common over here any more but i've descovered Spanish PD libraries selling my software as I sometimes browse Spanish web sites.

Also many of the freeware listings sites sell CD's to visitors of the games listed on the site.

For me though, especially these days with the internet so commonplace, I consider it somewhat of an afront to find my games selling and making somebody else money when i've given them away for free.

There are several companies that have permission to sell particular Banshee Studios games, I take that on the chin in exchange for the publicity they bring. Likewise there are several authorised magazine covers of Banshee games as listed on my teams web site.

I like getting into magazines because their distributorship is in most cases larger than my visitor base and it brings in new visitors to my site. However there are implications, serious implications, and this is why it is damn right irresponsible for magazines to put games on a cover disk without getting permission, I shall explain...

This month I was due to release Deathmatch iLANd, which i've actually ended up delaying a few weeks anyway - what would have happened if i'd released it this month:

My teams typical monthly bandwidth usage is about 60000mb.

If I then also launched a new game I would get extra traffic from the launch, lets say the download is 8mb for the sake of argument so multiply that by a typical game launch visitor downloads of about 8,000 for the first 4 weeks (one reason why Banshee games are normally launched near the end of a month) that's 8,000x8mb = 6400mb. About one third of these new visitors also download an extra game whilst they are there: 2,666x8mb = 21000mb.

So far, for launching a game this month, I have reached 165000mb of bandwidth being shunted out of my web site.

Magazine appearances generate on average of around 5% of their readership into visitors to my site. This month I am in Computersbild Spiele which has a readership of 250,000. That's 12,500 extra visitors to the site this month.

A typical visitor downloads 2 Banshee games, which are on average 8mb in size. That's 12,500x8mbx2 = 200000mb.

So now we have 36500mb of data going out this month, it's a huge month with way more traffic than we would normally be shifting. I've agreed this with my sponsors and given the traffic estimation.

Now add Retro Gamer and suddenly I have a problem, I dont know what their readership is so i'll guess at 80000. 5% of that is 4000, with an average 2 downloads of 8mb each i'm suddenly adding a further 64000mb of bandwidth this month, taking me to 427000mb.

I dont know about you, but I find those figures very frightening indeed. If Retro Gamer had asked permission however I would have been expecting it and could have agreed the traffic level with my sponsor, and delayed Deathmatch iLANd to a suiteable date.

Instead i'm lucky in that Deathmatch iLANd was delayed by my racing, house moving, and general apathy taking up too much of my time.

The last person in the world I want to upset is my sponsor, if Banshee didn't have it then i'd be paying for each and every gb of data being transfered. Information is everything in this day and age, and giving my sponsor the wrong information over something that costs them money is a sure way to end the relationship.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 04:22
Thank you for sharing that info. I really appreciate it when indie developers take the time to explain the pitfalls waiting out there for the rest of us.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 09:25
Given everything that you said - wouldn't it make even more sense to state this quite bluntly in your games/documentation and on your web site???!

- Oscar Wilde
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 13:31
Quote: "all of the Atari ST Gremlin games on issue 3's CD were compiled and supplied by me"

Rich! Those Atari ST games were the reason I bought the mag in the first place! Being the nostalgic guy I am, I couldn't wait to play Techno Cop or Impossimole on my PC, much like I did on my ST over a decade ago. Thanks

Now to get Oidz to work. I used to have it on my ST and I can't get it to work with Steem...

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 16:26
I should of course make everything much clearer Rich you are right, but I know what I like when I download and play freeware games and I know that I dont like getting tons of legal trash to go through.

The thing about freeware is that some of it is written by people who are not necessarily that nice and pack their software with adware. Therefor I if I get a freeware game with a license agreement I read it which can meen a delay of 20 minutes before playing something for 30 seconds.

The worst part about all of this is that my studio wall still has a few Buffy posters that need replacing with mag covers, as my maturity dictates what I want to swell now is my ego .

Incidentally i'm looking to sell my Buffy video collection if anyone is interested, the entire thing in boxed set VHS PAL including limited editions... I'll make a bit more noise in a few weeks about that when I shove it on ebay but if anyone wants to get in early with an offer by all meens email me .

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 02:50
Andy - nah I didn't mean have a massive gert license at the start which no-one ever reads. Just a simple note at the top of the readme and on your web site would be sufficient.

Oh and I have all of the Buffy videos, but cheers

Jeku -
Quote: "Now to get Oidz to work. I used to have it on my ST and I can't get it to work with Steem..."

Oids by FTL will work under Steem - use the Automation cracked version and more importantly, use an old TOS ROM (1.0 or 1.02), it doesn't work on STEs.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:07
Quote: "Oh and I have all of the Buffy videos, but cheers "

The only one I've seen is 'Once more, with feeling'. Which was pretty good. She can't sing though.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:19
...some people say she cant act either...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:20
Yeah well that's compensated for in other ways.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
lol

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.ne1.net
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:44 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 05:45
Quote: "Oids by FTL will work under Steem - use the Automation cracked version and more importantly, use an old TOS ROM (1.0 or 1.02), it doesn't work on STEs."

Ahhh I *think* I know what you're referring to, although I'm not sure I know what 'FTL' means. Is that a release team? Can I please add you to my MSN list? We're in crunch mode at work here (15 hour days), but I will have a free night off soon and if I run into another roadblock I wouldn't mind a hand getting Oidz to work I also have one or two other things I need to speak with you about. If not, I completely understand!

Another ST game that I loved playing was Star Raiders. I used to play with a friend where one of us would man the navigation while the other one would fight the ships. I recently booted it up with Steem and am loving every minute of it, once again (sans friend)

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:49
hahah Star Raider I had that game.The one with a special pad.

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 08:01
Well I got my shiny new mag through the door this morning and sure enough my game gets a one line description, which is wrong ! . Apparently it's a multiplayer asteroids clone. It's single player, and this version doesn't have any rocks in it.

As for Buffy yeah she makes up for her inability to act (and sing) by being sufficiently imperfect to look at and never taking her clothes off (in Buffy) which lets me do quite a lot with my imagination, which always beats perfection. No pun intended.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 09:48
Jeku - FTL = Faster Than Light, the company that made Oids (and Dungeon Master and some other classics). Yeah, add me to your MSN if you like

- Oscar Wilde
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 10:12 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 10:13
Rich - Thanks for the info! I've tried adding you but it says you don't have a Passport account (based on the email address on your profile). I guess I have to dig deeper around this website to get your MSN email address

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 16:29
Or hover your mouse over his MSN button below every post he makes .

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 20:24
Jeku - rich_dbteam@hotmail.com

- Oscar Wilde

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:42:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:42:53