Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Deathchase - remake.org entry, WIP info thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 00:45 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 08:53
Hi all,

As you may have heard, I'm doing a Deathchase remake for the competition over at www.remakes.org, I've got an initial site together. Its nothing flashy, but thats the point there's a dev diary up there and a (currently sparse) gallery.

http://games.lamptonworm.com/remakes/deathchase/index.html

I know how much WIP posts without screenies are annoying, so in case you feel the need not to visit my site, here's the only image so far, its a small snap of some proof of concept stuff I'm doing...

You can read more in the diary, but that screen isn't for critical comment everything in it is a placeholder for poly count/performance testing.

Hope to give you more updates soon

Cheers.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 01:17
Looks like your making real progress .

One thing. How are you fixed for a bike model? - I could probably knock up a neat dirtbike if you need one (had some practice with mountain bike models).

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 01:39
Hi,

I've not decided on an overall "look" for the game yet (textures etc), leave that till the game engine is sound, but I think I'll be needing a dirtbike model for sure! Sports bikes off tarmac look weird If you can do one then great I guess there are some requirements if that's cool with you?

...low poly (current bike model is 998, so preferably lower if that's possible, if not, 1000 as a limit), and that needs to be bike+rider.

...if the rider/bike can be seperate models or grouped in that way, that would let me perhaps make the riders fly off the bikes later, or perform seperate animation to the bike (I could join bike/rider as limbs)

...what formats do you use? I use Milkshape/CharFX, if I needed to do any tweaks this end, but either way, .X/.DBO is the end format I'll load into the game.

...I want to move the wheels, so either animated or limbed so I can rotate them seperatly, also I'd like to be able to steer the handlebars, again probably via a limb.

...scale, worry about it later I reckon, start with what you like I can always scale up/down in DBP for the time being.

Let me know if you need to know anything else!
Thanks for your help
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 02:52
I use CFX too, so I'll include those formats too, it all sounds fine except the polycount, I reckon I can keep the bike to around 700, but the rider would have to be about the same without having him too blocky - I'll give him a helmet to help keep the polycount down.

I think having the bike as several limbs is a good idea - you could even use metal shaders or sphere mapping to get some nice chrome. I usually make a little tech demo to test models anyway, so I'll be able to show you the limb layout and animation. I find that having the steering as an animation works out well when offsetting limbs, should be able to get the suspension working nicely too so it'll look authentic.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 07:53
Looking good (well, a hell of a lot better than my Joust re-make does anyway )
Can't say I've played Death Chase but by the looks of that one, lonely screenshot, and up till September to add to it, it could be a pretty decent game.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 08:23
I'd love to see a decent remake of deathchase. I seriously thought about doing one for retro comp but wimped out and am doing 'splat' instead.

I just hope you can get the same feeling of speed and exhilaration as the speccy version. For such a simple game it can be really exciting and really makes your heart beat!

Boo!
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 08:59 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 09:02
Thanks for the encouragement folks Its going to be a challenge, not only this/work/wife but I'm doing on OU course and possibly buying a house. I don't like to make life easy

Anyway, I did some messing about with the new advanced terrain commands so here are two more basic screens (they are in the now update gallery, via some fairly cool drop downs for us meer 56k ers) -

Edit, whoops, changing links to img tags...

Can't want to get my paws on the terrain plus commands, see if I can sqeeze some more fps out of my engine with those lod commands.

@Van, yeah I know what you mean about the polycount, its very low! But I really want to keep the game running as fast as possible. The lower you can get it then great dude. I looked at the rider in the DM1 bike model, he's not too blocky considering. Good idea on the suspension for effect. Just to note that while I'd like good models/effects, they will come secondary to keeping the game fast/playable like the original. Hopefully I can strike a good balance Again, cheers for your support, its appreciated!

Cheers.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 13:27
this project is looking great! the new terrain commands make a big difference right away!

can't wait to get my hands on a demo of this one

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 06:11 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 06:12
Hi,

Quick update - Dev Diary updated, and new shots added, one in game...

...and a few of Van-B's initial dirtbike model!

Cheers.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 08:19
Looking good, nice dirtbike model VanB. Suits the look of the game well, get some muddy textures slapped on it, nothing to clean looking.

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 00:03
Hi,

Few minor updates to the site...

http://games.lamptonworm.com/remakes/deathchase/index.html

Been busy of late, but just to let you know that it has been progressing in the background of all things life related.

Cheers.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 02:08
Hi,

Still alive here

Ok, here are the latest snaps of the textured bike (great work from Van-b!)...

More to follow as it happens, as usual check the dev. diary for updates.

http://games.lamptonworm.com/remakes/deathchase/diary.html

Planning on a compatibility demo soon(ish) to try out the timer based movement and a few optimization switches (currently doing all dev/testing on a 1.2, 256Mb RAM, 64Mb GeForce). Want to keep it running on as many machines as possible.

p.s. Mike (TGC), if you happen to read this, any luck with the email I sent ya?

Cheers.
Carlitos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 03:27
WOW!! Thats comming out real good! Really can't wait to play it, I'm a huge fan of these types of games

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 04:04 Edited at: 10th Aug 2004 04:08
Hi folks,

Here's another update and a set of screens

For the latest info check out me dev diary at -http://games.lamptonworm.com/remakes/deathchase/diary.html

This is in the gallery on my site, but I thought I'd post 'em here too, hope you like the latest stuffs -

(Note, screens are bike only, no rider, at the moment)

'Classic' handle-bar view...

Skybox test (using tutorial)...

By the water...

Another handle-bar view,

...and another,

Van-B's beautiful bike crawling up a hill,

Cheers.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 09:44
Looks bloody great! - can't wait to try it out .

BTW, you have mail.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
stealth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 11:12
Yeah this looks really awesome , I wanna play heh , ur doing a good job , hope u got the controls sussed
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 00:36
Hi,

Ah, nothing better than a nice surprise in the mail The rider is now attached...again, great work by Van-B on the models.

Rider and bike...

Two bikes...

In persuit...

Two more bikes...

I still have to work on the animation etc, but its getting there. As usual, check my dev. diary for more specific updates.

@stealth, I've got basic arcade style controls, accel/brake, left/right, you can do jumps at the moment, and there is resistance/gravity etc. but its not a Moto-X sim, got to keep in mind what this is a remake of I want to try and match the feel of the original then add my own twist to it.

Cheers.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 17:48
...no comment on the latest screens?
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 18:04
I saw them yesterday, but didn't have time to post. they look fantastic! I like the rider, and the bike model in general.

I'm hoping you'll have a demo out soon for us to try?? (hint, hint)

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 20:06
Great work & seems that is going faster on developement!!!

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2004 11:08
Hi,

Ah, this is still alive Just been busy lately... ok a few updates... here's a sneak preview of the 2-player mode that I hope to include -

More updates and info on what else I've been doing with this available from the diary as usual...

http://games.lamptonworm.com/remakes/deathchase/diary.html

A demo shouldn't be far off, I should have released one by now really.

Hope you like it so far,
Cheers.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 04:39
Looking nice, I can see plenty of progress compared to the first screenie.

Quote: "Skybox test (using tutorial)..."

Any chance of a link to the tut.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 04:42
is it just my imagination or are those 2-player-mode view screens squashed?

anyway i was thinking about doing this but it looks like your doing a better job than i would have

"We make the worst games in the universe."
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 05:13
Quote: "is it just my imagination or are those 2-player-mode view screens squashed?"

i dont see a promblem with it bieng sqashed even Tony Hawk Underground 2 player view is squashed

Good thing everyone here is a figment of my imagination.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2004 05:20
Quote: "Tony Hawk Underground 2"

and we all know they are the cutting edge of game development

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2004 18:56
Hi,

@play2kill, I was using TGC's tutorial, found here -

http://skymatter.thegamecreators.com/?f=tutorial

@Peter_H, yes they are a bit squashed. Its all about fov as aspect ratio's that I need to keep certain objects from vanishing (I made a post about it recently), it may change but I know what you mean

Cheers,
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2004 22:49
try this code

you should be able to use this...by looking at how it works...or maybe just copy and pasting the function...i don't know...i didn't make it

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 07:33
Thanks

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
the play2kill fan club
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2004 18:39
Hi,

Thanks for the code, but I already have something very similar. The screen shots were really just a quick 'proof of concept' to give me some confidence that it could be done fairly simply with my existing engine. Ta though,

Cheers.
wyrleywolves
Years of Service
User Offline
looking good. I did a death chase game a while a go. If you want to take a look he's the link to the db thread.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=9965&b=5
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2004 20:06
Hi,

That looks cool - I'll give it a whirl later when I'm back on my personal machine You should get a link put up for it at remakes.org, there are a couple of other DC remakes there too.

My take on DC is still making progress, all be it at a slower rate due to OU studies, but that's life. Hope to post some more info, screens and demo soon.

Cheers.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2004 23:52
Hi,

@wyrleywolves - I tried out your DC game, its a very faithful remake that is done well, good stuff

DC[remix] isn't quite as true to the original, i.e. I've made it free roaming, but hopefully I can produce something that is ok and still feels in touch with the original. More updates soon...

Cheers.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 23:08
Quick update... its still alive... but looking like remakes.org entry will be 2-player only, 1-player not there yet (but close).

Due to moving house this/next week, then exam the week after I'm already squeezing my resources to the limit had to prioritize.

Never mind, some long winter nights coming up.

Cheers,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:10:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:10:07