Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 02:06
I'm considering purchasing the super game creator game pak/bundle. I have no game desiging experience, but have made a lot of movies. I have editing/special effects software for both audio and video. I have a desire to challenge myself to learn and succeed at something new.

Will I be able to start something with this software?

Thanks for any help.

Hangullvr.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 02:24
What lots of people tend to assume is that DBPro is a super "all-in-one" solution where a click of a button will assemble you a game.
This isn't the case - DBPro is simply a programming language.

If you can sit down and learn the language, you'll reap dividends. If you'll get bored after 10 minutes, maybe a product like T3DGM is more to your style.

Judging from you experience this probably won't be the case.
Download the demo and fiddle around for yourself before buying

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
hangullvr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 02:27
Thanks!

There is no reality only perception.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 03:07
hangullvr,

There is a trial download of DBpro. Try using that and see if an actual programming language is for you. keep in mind that besides the core language, there is tremendous third party support, plugins, dlls, and creation utilities, developed by many of the members here on the forum. Many are actually free. There are a lot of ways to use DBpro, not just sitting by yourself trying to develop everything from the getgo. I can tell you that you may want to start out just creating 3d scenes with 3d models and getiing a feel for lighting a scene and setting up multiple cameras and such. This would let you mix both your film editing skills with Dbpro. Eventually you may decide to create a game or write a development tool. It would be interesting for someone to write a film studio app in DBpro, and maybe that's the direction you will take.

Don't be dissapointed in the beginning of your game programming ventures if you start off with pong or space invaders. There is a lot to be learned form these types of games, and noone writes Quake III their first,second,...hundreth time out. In fact some of my most enjoyable programming experiences came when I wasn't to worried about trying to create the next half-life. Just to get pixels on the screen was enough to hook me into programming for life. So try it out and see if it's for you. Welcome to the Forums! and Good luck in your pursuits!

~zen

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:22:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:22:49