Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / GeForceFX 5200 - can't install...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just bought a GeforceFx 5200 to replace my old Geforce2, and I can't seem to get it working. Whenever I place it in and start the computer, the screen stays black and I hear the CD drives turning on and off. I did everything in the manual and still no luck. Does anyone know how to fix this, or where I'm going wrong?
This is my first time updating my graphics card, so I don't have a clue what to do. Please help me, I've only got 2 days of holidays left, then back to school. I want to at least try it once by then.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 11:47
Can your motherboard support it? What brand name is it (the mobo)?

Shooting for Eternium Man.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 11:47 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 11:48
First mistake:

Quote: " I just bought a GeforceFx 5200 to replace my old Geforce2"

Second mistake:

Quote: "This is my first time updating my graphics card, so I don't have a clue what to do"

Third mistake:

Quote: "I want to at least try it once by then"

The FX 5200 is one of the worst graphics cards ever made. It doesn't even classify as a budget card, yet people still think it is..

Take it back and get the Radeon 9200, if you know what's good for you

Disclaimer:
The preceding was simply my opinion. The only evidence I've had to prove such is that I bought the 128 MB 5200 to replace my 64 MB Radeon 8500, the Radeon still outperformed it. So please, don't post website articles and other nvidia-biased garbage *cough* Raven *cough*.

Oh and yes, it does sound like a motherboard compatibility issue.

----
<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 11:55
I have a FX 5700... and on that card is a plug to give it sume
more power, maybe..maybe see if your card has that same plug and
if it dose, pluge it in.

also try not useing the disk, most times when I put a new card in
I just uninstall the display driver, turn my pc off then put the new card in, turn it back on then install the driver again.

I Hope I helped a little

I dont know how to spell
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 12:00 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 12:01
That'd work Slayer, but he can't get into windows (because nvidia is crap) wait what? huh? We got some of them ATI mice I think... they're everywhere these days, spreading their miniature propoganda

I'll sprend your mama

----
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 12:01
I'm da rodent rebel
Rappin to da trebble
Take dis pamphlet
I wantcha to samplit
Find ya soul in ATi
Else ya might as well die

Dat da rap

Shooting for Eternium Man.
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mouse
Motherboard:
-P4 Titan
-GA-8SR533 series
-SiS 645 chipset

@Jimmy
I'd get the radeon9200 if it werent for the price, Im only 15(since 2 days ago) and dont have a job - so im not getting something that costs $50 more here, besides im saving up for a lot of other stuff already.

@Slayer
I see a mini inlet on the card, no wires in it. It seems like the one used for the fan on my geforce2.
I tried setting everything to low (refresh rate, resolusion, etc) didnt help. I even accidentally disabled my monitor, and that completely stuffed my comp (i had to use narrator and listen my way through the display settings to turn on 'use this device')
Havent tried uninstalling it though, im just scared that i gotta do the narrator thing again.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 12:15
Ah, but the 9200 is only $5-10 more

----
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Not here though, oh yeah I mean in AU dollars (AU$10=US$6 , or around that anyway). And i dont want to shop around again. I mean, I got my card, and I'm happy with it(except for the 'doesnt-work' part). And what about the vertex shaders, I cant get those with the radeon can I ??? (Im talking about fx files that dbpro supports).
If I can then I might actually buy it, if not, nvidia stays.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 12:41
Jimmy, I am too tired to yell at you

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 12:58
Fine if you want your precious "shaders" stick with your 5200, but if you want to PLAY GAMES go with ATI.

CR, you wouldn't dare, you wouldn't want me to mess your FACE

----
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
You don't have to get all 'angry', I'm not trying to change the card, I'm trying to get it working. I don't want to get myself in the middle of this nVidia vs ATI war, I just want some help with my card.
Some more specs:

Graphics card:
-GeForceFX 5200
-AGP 8X/4X/2X
-Core clock 250 MHz
-Ramdac 350 MHz

Motherboard:
-P4 Titan
-GA-8SR533 series
-SiS 645 chipset
-1 AGP slot 1X/2X/4X device support

Windows XP pro version 2002
with DX9 installed

Mem:
256mb ram
1.8 ghz P4 CPU

Oh yeah, i tried installing a new BIOS, but when i did there was this beeping noise every few seconds that freaked me out, so i went back to the old one.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 13:40 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 13:41
how many watts is your PSU and who manufactured it?

What beep code was it, and do you have an award or ami bios?

Buy it
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive got an award bios. Not sure what a PSU is (mind my ignorance), if it's the thing with the fan and the main power supply, then max 350W and Omni manufactured it, also has switch at the back to change voltage. I don't know about the beep code.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 14:14
This problem is one of 2 possibilities... and for saying on the forum appear to suddenly be "graphics" card experts i'm suprised they've not explain the solutions yet.

1st Possibility and probably the most likely.
You haven't turned off your onboard Graphics, and as such your cards are conflicting; niether will have seniority and as such the system doesn't know which on to use.
Annyoingly for there is no warning bleeps.

To turn off the old card normally you have to find the Jumper on your motherboard which does it, as I've never used that particular Gigabyte I dunno where it is; but likelihood is it'll be near the back within all the Creme PCI slots. It could also be an option in your BIOS, Press Del/F2 on bootup when you see your keyboard flash the NUM/CAPS/SCROLL locks together.

2nd Possibility is your old card was a PCI and your new card is AGP. If you don't tell your card to search for the AGP on init then it doesn't know anything is there.
If once you've started the computer and press Reset, on PheonixBios you'll have the card kick in as it should; as that isn't practical i'd suggest you go into the BIOS whilst you can see what your doing and chance it.

It'll be labeled Graphics Port or something, next to it 'Init PCI First' or 'Init AGP First'... or something similar.
The manual to your mobo should have better details.

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you so much, this info is gold.
But I've got a few (rather noobish and stupid) questions:
I think both cards are AGP, as they both go in the same slot, the 'AGP slot' (does that make sense?)
What do you mean by 'onboard graphics'? I can only have one card in the slot at a time, and one replaces the other, so how can they conflict?
What would this 'Jumper' look like?
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 14:48 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 14:50
Quote: "What do you mean by 'onboard graphics'? I can only have one card in the slot at a time, and one replaces the other, so how can they conflict?"

Their those horribly crap integrated video cards that are put into the mother boards of the cheaper PCs and suck dirt more than a starving pig.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 14:56
Quote: "-SiS 645 chipset"

iirc the 645 is an on-board chipset, if the cards are both AGP; then really there is no reason you shouldn't be able to simply swap them. This would beg the question, did you remember to ground yourself before touching the new card?
One static electrical jolt from your fingers and computer machinary becomes kaput!

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
I would hate the problem to be that, wasting $100(US$65) like that. But I'm still going to keep trying, I want this thing to work dammit!
I changed the init display mode to AGP from PCI, still no luck. This whole thing is really frustrating, I've been at it for 2 days already. Just wondering, would updating the BIOS help?
DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 16:58
@Dark

Yes I would suggest updating your BIOS if it has never been done.

If that does not work there are some issues with the motherboard you have where it almost has 'hidden settings' derived from the 'Performance' feature in the BIOS. To clear these you will need to reset the CMOS memory.

To do this:
Unplug the PC from the mains.
Find the two pins marked 'CLR CMOS' on the motherboard.
Short the two pins by putting a screwdriver or similar across them (unless you can find a spare jumper to do it) temporarily.
Put all your new cards etc in.
Plug back in to the mains & setup the BIOS again.
Everything 'should' in theory then work.

If not can only suggest setting to 2x AGP to test (also take your monitor is displaying nothing at all & its not very old & just not a problem with it accepting a higher sync rate.

DeepBlue

The coder formerly known as Twynklet.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 16:58
most likely not. infact, if you aborted in the middle of flashing your mobo bios, you may have messed you motherboard up. Are you using the same computer now?

Buy it
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Last time I upgraded my BIOS was last night, but it made this wierd beeping noise, first at long intervals, then gradually getting faster - like a timebomb . Anyways that freaked me out so i switched it off fast, and reinstalled my old bios. Anyway, does that beeping sound mean anything? Cause yeah, I might update it like you said DeepBlue, so I want to stay on the 'safe' side.
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 17:38
Umm... I was building a system for my sister awhile back and I idiotically didn't snap the card completely into the slot. It looked and felt like it was in, but after an hour of freaking out, thinking I killed the card, I finally took it out and pressed it a bit' harder into the slot. Does the card fan spin up? Does the system boot properly with the old card in? Try testing the card in another system and see if it works.

An add-in AGP card should over-ride by default the on-board AGP graphics on modern motherboards. And on most modern motherboards, all jumper issues should be automatic.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 17:44 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 17:54
Changing a Gforce2 for a FX 5200, both AGP, should require no adjustments to the computer. I think it should work right away. Therefore I am thinking that your graphic card is busted. I'd take it back, and swap it for another.

There is one last thing. AGP slots have a clip on the right that needs to be pushed over the board to press it down flat.

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
I checked the location of the Geforce2 from the device manager, and it is at: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. Shouldnt it be AGP or something, or is it all the same?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 19:15 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 19:20
The boards can only fit in the slots that they are meant to go into. AGP slots are brown, and small, PCI slots are black, and huge. If your new card is AGP then you might need to tell BIOS that your graphic card is AGP. It'll say something like.....

Set IRQ for AGP? Y/N

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
I just installed the new BIOS and put the card in. This time there were no CD drives turning on and off like before, but still the blank screen. But that beeping thing is still kinda wierd so i decided to keep with the old BIOS, so ive got that installed now. All of this still not working means that i might not have the right drivers installed or something, because i doubt all this trouble is normal for everyone that buys a card. I'm gonna go to the store tommorow and replace it, maybe that'll help. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 22:35
Quote: "AGP slots are brown, and small, PCI slots are black, and huge."

what? PCI slots are slightly bigger than AGP and are a beige color. ISA slots are black and huge.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 22:43 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 22:44
Erm...

3DMark2003
My Bros PC
1.6 Athlon with a 9200: Scored 960

My PC:
1.1 Thunderbird with a FX5200: Scored 1106

So my card beat his card regardless of the extra oomph on his PC. The FX5200 is a good budget card, it handles shaders nicely, and for <£50 you cant go wrong. I reckon it's your OS getting confused with all the drivers - try booting in safe mode, resetting your display to standard VGA and try a manual install after rebooting.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 22:51
Ati's have alot of problems with almost all 3d softwares,games seem to run well from what I saw.

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 22:55
my MX 440 got a higher 3dmark than a FX5200! My friend and I both have Athlon 2600's and 512Mb of DDR400 RAM, And he has a FX5200, and I got 1000 more points than him. I rule!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 23:14 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 23:38
Quote: "what? PCI slots are slightly bigger than AGP and are a beige color. ISA slots are black and huge."

Oh yeah, I still get them mixed up. Anyway they don't fit into the wrong slots is all I meant. Actually I shouldn't comment about hardware. All I do is buy something, and put it in a slot that is the same size. I know a bit about the BIOS, it always seems to work, so I never understand how anyone has any problems.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 03:21
Make sure your old drivers are totally removed, even if you use the software or uninstall window, some files are not removed and can cause slowdowns or black screens.

Get yourself a detonator (nVidia's official driver) destroyer. It searches for driver-remains and removes them.
Ye can get it here:
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/12-1-3.shtml

Second, maybe the card itself is

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 03:39
options:

the card is Kaput: did you follow antistatic procedure when you installed it?, was the mains turned off at the wall, was the monitor turned off, tell us EXACTLY what you did when you installed the card, spin up but no bios beeps tends to imply the card is working (or at least as far as the bios is concerned), my FX 5200 card has an extra power connector on the side (intended for those connectors you plug into the hard-drives or CD drive etc..called a molex connector IIRC, looks like one of those connectors for the battery pack in a remote control car or I-Cybie or something)

the card is not seated correctly: this one can be a ***** to find, some card makers are a little slack in the correct dimensioning of the backplate that screws down onto the case or the lug is not bent over enough or too far, in one instance (a Creative card) I had to remove the plate (held on by the two screw-nuts that retain the monitor connector) and then push the card all the way in to get it to work at all, not recomended since moving the tower or the monitor may unplug the card and stuff it, also some cards are a little too thick for the intended slots and you have to be realy brutal to get it all the way into the slot (I hate stuff like that)

if it is dead then take it back and get a refund, most shops will try to wriggle out of it, but if you stick to your guns then they often will cave in and refund or replace, just say "not supplied in working condition" and stick to that, the onus is on them to prove it was, and they can`t no matter what mumbo jumbo they spout, if you must then go to tradeing standards, all towns have one somewhere, and explain the problem (but NEVER admit it`s your fault....or even that it maybe your fault, it was dead when you got it ok?)

do read through the instructions all the way and watch the installation video (put the old card back in to watch it if there is a video), you may have missed the bit where they say "if you are not using the card in SLI mode then remove jumper six or you get a black screen", if you can (and it hasn`t harmed your pc) then try it in another machine, it may just be a compatability problem, do a search for AGP port drivers for your model MOBO and update them if required, and finaly, can you list the make and model of the card, I am pretty sure that due to the high clock speed on FX cards, they all take an extra power supply, are you sure there was not an extra lead in the case that looks like the leads you plug into your hard-drives?, get back to me on that and we can see where we are gooing from there.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude the FX 5200 sux. Gte anytjing other than that. If you can try to get the 5200 Ultra or a Radeon 9200. I found a 9200 SE at Circuit City (if your in the U.S.) for only $39.99.

Whats your power supply, becuase Nvidia cards take up a lot of power. Be sure you have 350 or 400 watts. IF not that might be the problem.

@Dark Sephiroth-
Heres what you should do first (if I am wrong tell me).

1.) Keep your old graphics card inside of your computer.
2.) Goto the NVIDIA website ([href]www.nvidia.com[/href]). Download the newest FX 5200 drivers.
3.) Then uninstall the GeForce2 drivers with a program that I'll find the site for. It uninstalls all unused drivers and stuff.
4.) Now turn the computer off and open it up. Then take out the GeForce2 and put in the FX 5200.
5.) Turn the computer on.

IF I missed a step someone correct me.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 06:26
@xTransworldx: he already said he had a 350 watt power supply, downloading the drivers and then rebooting with a card that doesn`t provide even a basic VGA screen will do nothing, you need windoze running to install the driver and he can`t even get that far, a Radeon 9200 won`t run shader 2.x (dx9) shaders, and that may be the reason why he bought the FX5200 card, so he can see the shader effects seeing as he is a DB user and all .

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Just got up, and wow 9 posts!

This whole thing is most probably internal, because its just a black screen at the start, no windows. So im going to try to get either a refund or replacement, and maybe even the guy can help fix it or something.

Quote: "tell us EXACTLY what you did when you installed the card"

1-buy card
2-open box in car (just excited) (didnt open plastic minibag with card)
3-after bday-party-thing got home
4-unplugged all comp stuff
5-place comp on ground
6-open comp
7-remove card (geforce2 from comp)
8-place geforce2 card on table
9-remove card (geforcefx from minibag)
10-place in motherboard
11-shut comp
12-turn on comp
13-no static involved
14-cd drives make loud sounds(turn on and off repetitively) and screen is black
15-screen is still black, but cd drives stop after like a minute.
16-its all their fault
17-not my fault
18-not my fault
19-not my fauuuuuuult!!!!

And yeah that was one of the main reasons i chose the fx5200, for the shaders.

That pretty much cover it.
I'm gonna call the guy from the store now.
Thanks for all the support people
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
I just got back from the store, and the card isn't broken, it worked on his pc, dammit. He said to maybe blow on the slot, but that aint helping...

I found a voltage switch at the back, right now it's on 230V, but it can also be on 110V, which is right?

I looked into the BIOS and found this setting:
-AGP clock (MHz)
its normally on auto, and it says tampering with the value can possibly damage something, so I just wanted to ask;
Is this 'AGP Clock MHz' in the BIOS the same thing as 'Core clock MHz' on the Gfx card? -my gfx core is 250MHz, so should i set it to that?

@Mentor
Quote: "my FX 5200 card has an extra power connector on the side "

Mine too, but there's no extra lead...

The card's specific info:
Name:Jetway GeForceFX 5200
Model Name:NV34AD128B
Chipset: FX-5200;128MB DDR
RAMDAC:350MHz
Core Clock:250MHz
Bus Type:AGP 8X/4X/2X
D-Sub, TV-OUT,DVI
Serial Number:45ET5114164

Please help me guys, today end my holidays , so I really want to have this figured out by tommorow.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 17:40 Edited at: 13th Jul 2004 17:41
You have a power connector but no lead? Surely that's the problem right there.

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks exactly like the one on my geforce2, and that has a wire with it. so maybe if i took that wire out, and useed it for my geforcefx and plugged the other side into an intlet somwhere on the motherboard, it might work. but this is pretty damn risky. I dunno what the hell im doing...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 18:01
Sephiroth you touch that volt selector on your PSU and say goodbye to your PC.
didn't read the responses entirely but anyone who suggested that is a braindead moron cause changing it will kill EVERYTHING in your PC.

Quote: "@Mentor

Quote: "my FX 5200 card has an extra power connector on the side "
Mine too, but there's no extra lead..."

Not seen the FX that need a powerlead, not sure why it would need one; but £50 says that's your problem.
You didn't actually say it has a Molex socket from the start, what you'll have to do to test this is check your case for a spare one, it should be white. You should have 1 in your HDD and 1 in your CD/DVD Drive, which in standard systems leave 2 more which are connected to them free.

If you've used them all up, detach one from something you don't need for the second (like the CD/DVD Drive) then connect it and start your PC. If that doesn't work then your card is kaput, take it back and get a replacement

Quote: "3DMark2003
My Bros PC
1.6 Athlon with a 9200: Scored 960

My PC:
1.1 Thunderbird with a FX5200: Scored 1106

So my card beat his card regardless of the extra oomph on his PC. The FX5200 is a good budget card, it handles shaders nicely, and for <£50 you cant go wrong. I reckon it's your OS getting confused with all the drivers - try booting in safe mode, resetting your display to standard VGA and try a manual install after rebooting."

Duron 800MHz, Creative FX5200 56.72: Scored 1,480 in Mark '03 440... The right brands and key optimisation really is key, even more so because that score is under XP, i put the card into Millennium Edition w/56.64 and got 1,610 marks.
As my processor only get 142mark standard, you can see how much work the Card itself is doing.
Under Mark '00 1.1, I get something like 11,000marks iirc.

The cards aren't powerful by making sure your BIOS is correctly setup and your drivers are running optimally is quite important when you want them to get better speed.

Out of the box the card got around 1,000marks in the same system on '03... really until your card hits the 2,500 mark it doesn't show most of the benchmark tests fast enough to be worth watching.

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 19:14 Edited at: 13th Jul 2004 19:17
Yes I've got two of them free, but I was talking about something much smaller, that plugs into a 2 pin slot.
[edit] whoa, just picked one up for a closer look, and it touched the fan - gave me a scare [/edit]

Anyway, I just got an idea. Would Formatting my comp help at all?
because if it is necessary then I will. Or is it just a problem with my BIOS/Motherboard?

And also, I wanted to know if setting the AGP clock MHz to something other than 'auto' in my BIOS would help ???
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 19:25
2pin?
Then that has nothing to do with the power supply.
You card sounds duff to me, i'd suggest taking it back and getting it replaced *before* the warrently runs out.

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 19:38 Edited at: 13th Jul 2004 19:41
Not sure if you read it but:
Quote: "Me:I just got back from the store, and the card isn't broken, it worked on his pc, dammit. He said to maybe blow on the slot, but that aint helping..."

Sad but true, it's not broken...

Oh yeah, the 2 pin thing seemed normal to me, it was in my geforce2 connected to the mini fan. This time (geforcefx) it's not connected to anything.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 21:24
The pin connector is probably a card option, like the same card design for different models, the pins are most likely used in another card for a mini fan.

One thing...
Make sure the card is securely fixed into the AGP slot - I mean like snug as a bug - beware the card's metal face, make sure the it's not preventing the card from sitting home properly. I'm not condescending you here, I've been caught out loadsa times, and usually you'd only get those extreme results from dodgy or badly connected hardware - also might be a good idea to ensure all your components are snug. Also, if your display goes mad, reset your monitor before switching off the PC, often the monitor will simply need the chance to update itself.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 21:41
Just an idea, but maybe you got a brand which is AGP4x/8x only; and trynig to use it in a mobo that only has AGP2x.

To find a card like that especially an NVIDIA one is quite rare.
(my 6800 claims 8x only but works fine even on AGP2x on my P2 board)
That could be the problem though, not likely considering the onboard video but you never know.

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
@VanB
Hmm, I did the placement right almost every time, but not sure about when i had the new bios installed. But normally it would beep a few times to tell me the card isn't placed well.

@Raven
I'm sure it should work as:
-the gfx card is AGP 2x 4x 8x
-the motherboard supports AGP 1x 2x 4x
-it should be fine for both AGP 2x and 4x

What are AGP 2.0 or 3.0 slots? This is on the requirments part of the box. Actually, I might as well read the whole thing out:
System Requirements:
-IBM PC or Compatible system
-Intel Pentium 2/3/4,
-AMD K6/K7 CPU or higher
-One available:
--AGP 2.0 or 3.0 slot
--CD/DVD drive
--50MB hadr drive space
--Windows XP/2000/ME/98
--SVGA multi-frequency monitor
DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 00:50
I would suggest you go back to my post read it this time & try what I suggested (and flash the BIOS properly this time).

DeepBlue

If it still dont work keep hitting F8 on startup to see if you get the XP boot menu, if you do then the cards at least OK in vga. Then suggest safe mode.

The coder formerly known as Twynklet.
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 04:09
Sorry to interupt but FX5200 do not suck. For the price they are the best cards I've tested by far. I'm not an Nvidia fanboy, just saying that after trying various budget cards, I've kept my FX5200

"What's Luda smirking at? If Time Gal doesn't succeed, Luda will be laughing hysterically. That would be tragic. No smorking."
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 05:24
From reading what you post, DON`T TOUCH A THING!!, you need somebody who does know what they are doing or this is gonna end in tears, do not try to use the small connector in any way, ignore any suggestions from now on in this thread and do one of the following.

Does the pc work with the old card in?, if yes then take it to the shop along with card (you might like to ask if he will help 1st) and ask the guy who took the time to test the card if he can show you how to install it, ask NICE and it should not cost you a penny, he knows he may well see you again if your happy with the service.

Befriend the local geek, theres one in most places, not the guy who shoots his mouth off, spouts rubbish and declares himself an expert on everything, but the kid who spends his evenings indoors with the curtains drawn to keep the sunlight off his three monitor screens or at the local computer market or fair buying obscure parts, he speaks fluent binary although his english is just intelligable/audible, thats the guy you need to find.

But from what you post do not attempt to do any more yourself, you can kill your pc dead just by touching it in the wrong place or holding your hand near the CPU, just walking across the carpet can create enough static on you to destroy the MOBO, you MUST know proper static procedure to start pokeing about inside a PC with impunity, if not you`re just playing russian roulette with it, get some knowledgable help, thats the best advice you can get.

Mentor

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:41:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:41:52