Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / ASP = BASIC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 23:35
I have used ASP for awhile, while I prefer using static pages with JavaScript for dynamic content, I have noticed that ASP is very similar to BASIC languages in the syntax and commands. Has anyone else noticed this similarity?

There's no problem so large it can't be solved by killing the user off, deleting their files, closing their account and reporting their REAL earnings to the IRS.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 23:36
You don't say... maybe because it uses the VB syntax?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 23:37 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 23:38
ASP is not technically a language itself, but most ASP scripts use VBScript for the language (Visual BASIC Script), so of course it looks like BASIC.

I would recommend using PHP though, much easier I used to use ASP but I found that it lacked in certain areas, and has nowhere near the wealth of built-in functions that PHP has.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 00:36
lol @ Hoss

Asp is indeed similar to VB as ASP.Net is similar to VB.Net

Rob, you should try using ASP.Net if you want more built in functions, there are millions

ASP is like some weired wrapper, it uses other languages to fill it out, which defaults to VB, but you can use java or c script.

Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Wasted my time learning ASP until I realized that it doesn't support WinXP Home Edition. That was fine, I'll just upload to DBSpot everytime I want to test a page, until i realized that dbspot doesn't have ASP installed.

learning PHP now...

This sig has been dullified!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 00:47
great thing about asp.net is that you code in your native language, so for me being a vb.net guy I write aspx pages, classes, web services, whatever all in vb.net code. If someone prefers they could just use c# or j# if they like - all the same, ends up being asp.net.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Hoss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 01:09
So, CR, which would you reccomend, PHP or ASP? I prefer niether of them, but see they are needed for the web development I am doing for people.

There's no problem so large it can't be solved by killing the user off, deleting their files, closing their account and reporting their REAL earnings to the IRS.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 01:19
I can't really recommend one or the other because I havent used both. I am sure depending on what the project calls for, one will have its niche. Each project's specs dictates the correct tool I guess.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 02:37
A bit less basic if you use Javascript with it instead of VBscript.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 02:54
Hoss, I started with PERL, went to PHP, thought I loved PHP, then I met ASP at the local pub and I can't keep my hands off her. ASP is awesome, but not recommended unless all your sites are going to be hosted on windows servers.

----
<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 20:41
ASP vs. PHP should be considered as more of a "what does your host support?" than anything else. There is nothing one can do that the other cannot. Well, PHP has far more features built-in as standard than ASP ever will, but there are many extensions and extra DLLs for ASP to bring it back up level again.

The main difference though is that ASP is dead in the water as far as Microsoft are concerned and PHP is updated consistently. Whereas ASP = Basic, PHP = C (with PHP5 = C++ extremely). I spent years and years working with ASP and I'm never touching it again

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 21:47
Although PHP is a C/C++ style language, it is a lot easier to write PHP code than C code. There is no fiddling around with memory allocation or anything like that.

With arrays and variables PHP is ridiculously flexible.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 22:02
/me hugs PHP

As RobK says, PHP adopts the sublime C style syntax, whilst getting rid of everything that you hate about C.

Quote: "ASP is awesome, but not recommended unless all your sites are going to be hosted on windows servers."

To be honest, I've only very briefly looked at ASP and it seemed very heavy weight. Plus, it needs to run on a windows based server. 'Nuff said.

Quote: "PHP5 = C++"

I would say that PHP5 supports C++ like features, rather than PHP5 = C++. I wouldn't want you to scare away potential PHP devotees by making them think that PHP has lost its charm Granted, you may have to "tweak" your existing OO stuff, but no-one really uses OO for PHP anyway (flamebait anyone?) I'm looking forward to PHP5 supporting proper OO features. Truely, it will be the greatest language ever. Hopefully it will break out onto the client side when someone revamps the GTK bindings for PHP 5.

Floats like a butterfly, stings like when I pee
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 22:12
PHP is available on many platforms.

ASP is tied 100% to the Windows platform

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 22:22
Quote: "but no-one really uses OO for PHP anyway"

Speak for yourself I won't code anything without it and PHP5 opens up all of the true OO power 4 has been lacking, I'm just loving setting my public/private classes and proper variable scope right now. Tis wonderful. When PHP5 his release version I'll use it for everything.

Quote: "ASP is tied 100% to the Windows platform"

Nah, you can run it on *nix too - ChilliSoft ASP for example. It is not as useful though because the real charm of ASP is access to COM objects, etc - but it's still possible.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 22:25
Quote: "With arrays and variables PHP is ridiculously flexible."

Amen to that. My mind boggles when thinking about just how the php dev team coded so much flexibility

What I've noticed about php is that there are so many ways to do one thing. I suppose it's there to make the transition from many languages as painless as possible.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:37:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:37:00