Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Who here is entering the retro compo at retro.org?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 13:25
I don't know... call me crazy, but Rich just seems to be less full of BS than Raven. Like 3000% less. The way he talks, he KNOWS what he's talking about. Kudos to you Rich and kudos again.

Back to the Olympics Games though, pretty exciting huh?

<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 14:30
How many DB people will join anyway?
I've already started mine (2 days), Pacman who's sneeking like solid snake (heheh...)

I don't like the gameplay of FFX-2...(ZOE2 is better) But I do like Rikku a lot! (I posted 4 fanarts in Rpgfan)
Project: The Mask of Zorah (Featuring: Sora;Cloud;Rinoa;Zidane;Yuna;Taru-Taru;Bahamut)
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 15:17 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 15:26
I entered the contest. I'm remaking Dragon Warrior 4, or trying to at least.

Heres the original map for the first town and castle.

And heres my remake of them ( Not done of course ).

And heres a demo of it you can play with. Controls: W=Forward, A=Left, S=Down, D=Right.

http://dse.redgaming.net/ftp/TestEngine2-07-15-04.zip
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 18:56 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 21:29
@Rich
Quote: "The ST wasn't even based on a console design, it was created by Amiga Inc. in retaliation to the C64. Amiga Inc. fell out with Atari and refunded them their $500,000 development budget back and then went straight to Commodore and sold them their new chip designs (Blitter, etc) for $20 million (shrewd move, no?) But the ST was already well into development by now and the very first one was released in October 1985."

Interesting (and I don't doubt it- well it happened 20 years ago and I can't recall all the details ), but most Atari history pages these days claim that the ST was not created by Amiga Inc. but developped by a team around Shiraz Shivji. And I do remember a story about it in a computer mag, when Commodore bought Amiga Inc. but Tramiel said that they had been working on a 16bit system prior to this incedent.

Quote: "The 2600 never had a keyboard for it - not in the traditional QWERTY sense."

Yeah, the alpha numeric keyboard was never released. But there was a numeric keyboard (or game pad) available. But I don't remember if it was a TP product or made by Atari.

EDIT: This one:

And there was a cartridge called Basic Programming
http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SystemID=2600&SoftwareID=852

Play Nice! Play Basic! Check it out. Now.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 20:55
Zkat8it:nice,DW rocked(can't wait for DW8)

I don't know if that's Atari who made this pad,but I remember I bought that for my Atari back then;

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 21:32
empty:
Quote: "Interesting (and I don't doubt it- well it happened 20 years ago and I can't recall all the details ), but most Atari history pages these days claim that the ST was not created by Amiga Inc. but developped by a team around Shiraz Shivji. And I do remember a story about it in a computer mag, when Commodore bought Amiga Inc. but Tramiel said that they had been working on a 16bit system prior to this incedent."

The chain of events goes something like this.

1) During the C64 boom, the Tramiels pretty much ran Commodore. Some of the Commodore people didn't approve of the way that Jack would put all of his sons into key positions within the company. Things grew unfriendly and they left for pastures new - Atari.

2) In doing so, they took a massive amount of Commodore technical talent with them. Their first real project at Atari was a 16-bit machine.

3) Amiga Inc. was contracted in to work with the core team. Lots of progress was made, but ultimately they fall out with each other and leave for pastures new (Commodore!) taking some of their new chip designs with them (blitter, etc).

4) By this point the ST was alreay well into development and was released shortly after. Commodore spent a few years playing catch-up before the Amiga was released.

I've been researching this a lot lately for my article in Retro Gamer

Quote: "Yeah, the alpha numeric keyboard was never released. But there was a numeric keyboard (or game pad) available."

Absolutely, several games used it (Star Raiders had one - as Acturus has shown above!) - but there's a world of difference between that and a keyboard I mean the 2600 didn't even have anything inside it which you could program into!

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 21:43 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 21:44
@Rich
Quote: "The chain of events goes something like this [...] "

Cheers for that summery.

Quote: "I've been researching this a lot lately for my article in Retro Gamer "

That's why I was asking (well sort of asking)

Quote: "Absolutely, several games used it (Star Raiders had one - as Acturus has shown above!) - "

Yeah I remember that controller (and the game). But I meant the one I linked above.

Quote: "I mean the 2600 didn't even have anything inside it which you could program into! "

Indeed. With the Basic Language cartridge you couldn't program the 2600; just the cartridge itself.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 21:53 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 21:56
haha that looked cool Empty.What was it used for?(I remember seeing a basic programming ROM in my atari collection hhmmm probably a proto?)

ok,nevermind I hadn'T read through

Keeping it OT there,who else prefered the gemini?

http://www.atariage.com/2600/consoles/coleco_gemini.jpg

I had about 4 Atari's 2600(yeah at some point,they were just raining) and 1 gemini but I prefered the gemini controllers so you didn't have to swicth in order to play Super Breakout.

Those were the days.

-Andy Bell
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 22:06
a) The Tex Break has been a law in the UK since the early 60s to govern that companies contracted to produce the hardware for Universities were charged less. It was an encouragement motive, so that companies that produce for educational purposes.

The difference to a company back in the 60s was around £2,000 per machine, might not sound like alot but when you consider that was 6x the cost of a Morris Minor they were saving; this enabled them to not only produce more units but allowed the government funded universities (back when they did still were basically the financial support for these institutes) could afford such technologies to allow people to learn this 'new' technology.
California in the United Stated also had a similar law instituted in the 50s.

Really both laws are actually just extensions on previous laws that have been around since the 1890s, as an incentive to encourage people to go into education.

Atari ST, base unit was the Falcon. The Falcon's base unit was the 2600, and the 2600 in turn is based on the 2200 ('82).
Now if that site posted is to be believed, the 2200 is actually in turn based on the VCS 2600.

As i've stated, the Oddessy was educational, (oki so only 1 title but that is 1 more than any console available in the past 2decades) so is a considered a 'computer'.
Atari marketed the VCS 2600 as a computer (no doubt FOR the tax break), even further over both parties aruging here have both clearly stated what I said was correct that a Kit *was* made in order to create it into a fully functional computer.

As I wasn't old enough in the 70s i'm not sure how the hell i'm suppose to know if it was released or not, all i know is it was crated. The sheer fact it is there means it could be converted to a computer.

As for Pong, a Single Game; Perhaps Multiple modes, but you cannot alter what games are available on it... it's game set was the exact same from the day it went on sale til the day it was replaced on the market.
That makes it an Arcade Machine by pure definition.

-/-

Anyways back to what this topic is really about and away from the pathetic people.

Still got to try out your latest alpha Kat, hopefully I can still spend the weekend working on Pirates! but right now I have a 'whim' project. Hopefully I can make everything I need to tonite.
I know Psionic & the peeps of his forum wanna see me finish what I have so far, but after I started skinning realised i need 3 versions of the engine hehee

Hopefully over the weekend have some engines of my own for you guys (in irc) to test out

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 23:30 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 23:34
@actarus
Quote: "I had about 4 Atari's 2600(yeah at some point,they were just raining) and 1 gemini but I prefered the gemini controllers so you didn't have to swicth in order to play Super Breakout.
Those were the days."

I had only one 2600 (and later sold it together with my Atari 800 to buy an 800XL) but countless new joysticks. All killed by Activision's Decathlon.

@Raven
Quote: "Atari ST, base unit was the Falcon. The Falcon's base unit was the 2600, and the 2600 in turn is based on the 2200 ('82).
Now if that site posted is to be believed, the 2200 is actually in turn based on the VCS 2600."

Oh please Raven...
The Falcon was the last computer Atari released. It was the first one that had an inbuilt DSP chip and also allowed hard-disk recording. It was supposed to be a substitute for the ST in recording studios. The concept was good, but the A/D converters were lousy. Later a German company called C-Lab licensed the Falcon and built a couple of untis with slightly better hardware. Still failed though, 'cause at that point Macs and even IBM compatibles were already common in most studios.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 23:40
Quote: "All killed by Activision's Decathlon. "

Yes,mine too,those native Atari sticks didn't stand much chances against that continuous left/right that game required.

In the end,the gemini's did survive

PS:Am I dreaming or do I remember that the Master/Mega-drive pads worked on my Atari?

-Andy Bell
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:04
Why I'm getting drawn into this I don't know, I guess because I hate people spouting crap as gospel. Anyway...

Quote: "a) The Tex Break has been a law in the UK since the early 60s to govern that companies contracted to produce the hardware for Universities were charged less. It was an encouragement motive, so that companies that produce for educational purposes."

This is NOT the tax break that Sony was trying to use. They were trying to claim back money (£6.60 per console) from IMPORT TAX duties, because they claimed the PS2 was a digital processing unit rather than just a console. The case went to the European Court of Justice and they lost. You can read the entire case report on-line if you wish, it isn't hard to find.

Infact the US publish all of their tax laws on-line too, every single one. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us all and provide a link to the one that applied to Atari in the 1970's!

Quote: "Atari ST, base unit was the Falcon. The Falcon's base unit was the 2600, and the 2600 in turn is based on the 2200 ('82)."

Mother of God.

*bangs head on wall*

The ST was based on the Atari Falcon? Excuse me while I pick myself up from the floor.

The Falcon (I have two of these machines ok?) features a DSP chip, a Motorola 68030 processor and loads of other hardware that NEVER EVEN EXISTED, even in development blueprint form, back when the ST was designed.

The Falcon was based on a combination of the STE and the Mega range, but then they added a load more stuff in there. I used to run the official Atari Falcon Owners Group and had close links with Atari at the time (infact I still do, via NVIDIA which is wher Darryl Still now works).

To assume the ST (or the Falcon) was based off the 2600 is like saying the Gamecube is based on a Game-and-Watch. You're missing a whole era of Atari computers in-between! Not to mention their entire post-2600 console range and their very very popular 8-bit range of computers. Could it be that the ST was based on one of their 8-bit computers? Well.. asthetically it was, but even then the circuit board design is utterly different, the 68000 processor was brand spanking new and most the hardware around it also.

But hey, what do I know? I was only living this every single day while you were floating around in your Daddies sperm pouch

Quote: "Now if that site posted is to be believed, the 2200 is actually in turn based on the VCS 2600."

Which wouldn't really make sense - because it's the wrong way around. The 2600 was based on 2200 designs, which in turn are based on 2000 designs (codename VAL).

Quote: "Atari marketed the VCS 2600 as a computer (no doubt FOR the tax break)"

I'll grant you the first part - Atari did indeed market the 2600 as VIDEO computer system. Not a "computer", a "video computer system" - because let's not forget what "computer" means here, the 2600 was certainly a computational device. But then so were calculators back then - do you class them as "computers" too? Did they receive this magical tax break? By the mid 1980's even Washing Machines had motorola processors in them - I wonder if they were sold as computers too?

Quote: "what I said was correct that a Kit *was* made in order to create it into a fully functional computer"

But never SOLD - a tax clause/break like the one stipulated cannot apply to something that isn't even in retail.

The only tax break Atari ever got was this:
http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=553

Quote: "The sheer fact it is there means it could be converted to a computer."

You hit the nail right on the head - it could be CONVERTED to a traditional computer, which implies it wasn't before the kit was added. Not that anyone ever got the chance mind you.

Quote: "As for Pong, a Single Game; Perhaps Multiple modes, but you cannot alter what games are available on it... it's game set was the exact same from the day it went on sale til the day it was replaced on the market. That makes it an Arcade Machine by pure definition."

As there is no pure definition of "arcade machine" this is your personal suggestion only. The whole phrase "arcade machine" implies, the machine was created for use in arcades, no? Pong was not - it was based on an arcade design, certainly, but for home consumption. That in my book makes it a home console. Arcade machines are .. well.. machines you see in arcades. This really isn't very complicated. Look at the Neo Geo - 100% arcade machine circuitry, etc - yet anyone with an ounce of sense would call it a console. Where's the difference?

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:09
Quote: "PS:Am I dreaming or do I remember that the Master/Mega-drive pads worked on my Atari?"

Certainly did I think only the Master System pads worked properly, but the Mega Drive pads certainly had the right 9-pin D connector - not sure if they lined-up properly though (I doubt the extra buttons helped!). I'm tempted to track one down on ebay to test it now

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:13
Raven;
Quote: "Really both laws are actually just extensions on previous laws that have been around since the 1890s, as an incentive to encourage people to go into education."

Are you implying that there were laws around in the 1890's that removed tax on computer, or computer-like units for education

Also, I have to re-iterate what Grismald said earlier;
The first ever game ( to the best of my knowledge ) was a simple, yet effective Pong type game that was done on an oscilloscope.
There were two nobs, on the side of the box that were twisted back and forth to move the respective padles.
I have seen one in action ( on a documentary on Discovery Channel [ Yes, it is good for things other than watching animals... um.. where was I.. ] ). The paddles were thick blury lines ( because the osciloscope wasn't perfect, and it didn't always display anywhere near perfectly ) and the "ball" was a dot that jumped around the screen.

Also, ZKat, can I ask you to remove those massive images and hot-link them please? It's made the page width way too big. Thanks

Jess.

Oh, and btw, I'm not entering the competition.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:18
Quote: "I'm tempted to track one down on ebay to test it now "

Got two here,you want'em?

-Andy Bell
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:20
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36617&item=8117507062&rd=1&tc=photo

-Andy Bell
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:20 Edited at: 17th Jul 2004 00:28
Raven,
Do you learn nothing from the constant rebuffs you get here when you talk nonsense?. I mean trying to argue about the history of Atari with Rich... - for a start your not even old enough to remember the ST's release, so how can you sit and preach?. I know you've said before that this is your life etc, but you need to remember that a lot of us cut our coding teeth on these machines, and it's pretty damn irritating having someone tell you black is white all the time.

Give it a rest, drop this subject, your not qualified mate.

Rich,
IIRC the master system controllers did work on the ST, the controller sucked almightily, but they did work - the MD controller would'nt work, not without some adjustments, or more accurately - a complete rewiring. Arcade joysticks worked a treat though, I remember being given the controller block from a Wonderboy arcade machine and wiring it up to my ST using an old 9-pin lead - that joystick ruled, until my mom took it for a piece of scrap and threw it out!. You know that Atari sued the ass off Sega for using the 9-pin connector - pity they could'nt do the same to Nintendo, well they could but it's pretty lame to sue someone for using your scrolling screen idea!.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:23
Quote: "Got two here,you want'em?"

Sure, I'll take one! If you accept PayPal I'll throw a few quid your way for postage, etc. Mail me off-thread.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:45 Edited at: 17th Jul 2004 00:48
Quote: "IIRC the master system controllers did work on the ST, the controller sucked almightily, "

Ooops,I was talking about the VCS.I'm sure they worked fine on it,don't know about MegaD's actually.

Rich:Check out what'll cost you less,the Uk(£3.20) deal above or me sending them from Canada.

BTW:I couldn't sell them,just pay for the shipment.

edit:hahah what a pure coincidence,I have to go pick up my Mazinkaiser DVD's at the post office in about 4-6 hours.

-Andy Bell
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:49
Quote: "IIRC the master system controllers did work on the ST, the controller sucked almightily, but they did work - the MD controller would'nt work, not without some adjustments"

Yeah that is what I thought.

Quote: "Arcade joysticks worked a treat though"

I never had one, but I can see why they would rock! The Jamma board is a standard 9-pin connection so if you're technically minded it must be quite easy to hook them up (not that I could, I am useless with a soldering iron).

Actarus - it was a MD pad I wanted, not a VCS one - but thanks anyway

- Oscar Wilde
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:50 Edited at: 17th Jul 2004 00:52
Well lol,I got one too.(actually 2),got some TurboGrafX as well

Edit: Oh no,I was first offering Master system pad actually,sorry for the confusion,I got the three of them

-Andy Bell
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 01:01
I've been planning on building a mame cabinet for years, get an old second hand arcade cabinet and rip out the gizzards, throw in a reasonable PC with a copy of mame and a TV out videocard and hot-wire the controls from the keyboard to the joysticks. Thousands of arcade games in one box for a fairly modest outlay - just waiting till I have space to put something like that!. Retro-gaming heaven though huh!.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 02:33
Where have all the flowers gone?

<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 03:08
It's a shame AtariAge.com doesn't have Activision ROMs anymore. Pitfall, Decathlon and Barnstorming... I played those games for ages.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:39:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:39:06