Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Torque(or however you spell it...)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:45
i recently got a book called "3D game programming all in one" and it uses the "torque" game engine \. and i'm wondering how good this engine is...the book comes with a version (called the "book" version ) that doesn't include the source code...but if you buy the full "developer's liscense" then you get the source code for the engine(albiet in c++ )

so i'm wondering if torque is worth deeply learning...or should "bite the bullet" and start learning c++( )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:46
You don't need c++ or torque, they are all built off darkbasic anyway, why add an extra layer? It only makes it slower...

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:48
Quote: " they are all built off darkbasic anyway, why add an extra layer? It only makes it slower...
"

DarkBASIC was coded in C++, not the other way around...

GameXaero forums - www.t4e0.4cybiko.com
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:49
he was joking(at least i hope he was )

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:50
Nooo, c++ was coded in dark basic for all the people that like to spend aggesss learning to program and increasing the length of time it takes to produce games...

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:52
i was hoping for a serious answer

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:54
let me take this time to say:

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:54
I love you red_eye

----
<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:55
we all do

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:56 Edited at: 14th Jul 2004 06:57
Oh, sorry
Torque does look good and probably abit easier than c++ but i would think its less flexible. Although i've never tried it. DBP is the best in my not so humble opinion though.

#edit, thanks jimmy+darwin, you wanna join my DBP fanboy club? Its really cool, gimme a sec and get a sig image for us to use...

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:58 Edited at: 14th Jul 2004 06:59
so you really don't know anything about torque...
well from what i can tell it's plenty flexible(though doing the flexing requires extra code) if you want you can edit the engines source code(if you buy the full version)

what i wanted to know as if anybody knew whether or not the engine was much slower then c++...

and as for the DBPro fan club...i like DBPro to and if i switch it'll be a year from now(at least...)

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 06:59
Torque was used to create Tribes2 and since evolved quite far to become a very good middleware engine.
Doesn't compare to Renderware but still good, and worth learning.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:00 Edited at: 14th Jul 2004 07:00
thanks raven!
what's renderware?

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:02
sexayyyy Use google for a search on renderware, and also, look at the torque forums, you would be able to gauge a general response fromt he users there.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:03
http://www.renderware.com/
an industry standard middleware solution... basically it's not quite and engine, but it's a damn sight easier than using the APIs directly.

And the multi-platforming really comes in handy.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:07
SWANKAY!

<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:11
AWSOME BLOSSOM!

err...

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 08:40
Quote: "what i wanted to know as if anybody knew whether or not the engine was much slower then c++..."

Since Torque was written using C++, I'd imagine it's not slower than.... using C++. Know what I mean? There are always ways to optimize code to make it faster, though.

I purchased Torque around the same time as DBP and I have yet to use Torque for anything. I would suggest learning C++ if you're going to want to get "serious" with game programming or want to work in the industry as a software engineer.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 09:08
Doesn't Torque use its own C like scripting language? If you want to learn C++ then surely, just go and learn it properly without bothering with another proprietary "language" in-between. The Torque C-script might be similar to C++, but it's still not going to actually be C++. Sure you get the source, so you can get in and dirty with the engine, but if you're capable of doing that I dare say you don't need it in the first place.

http://www.garagegames.com has it all.

And interestingly on the top listed game on the GG home page in the "Game Store" section was written in DBPro That just about says it all really.

If you want to move to C++ in order to become a games programmer for a big software house, starting taking extra math and physics classes at school/college (if you still can) and worry less about the "visual" stuff and more about your ability to solve problems through code and optimisation.

If you're just doing this "for fun" then stop for a moment and ask yourself why so many professional games developers and artists are using the likes of DBP and Blitz for their pet hobby projects (which they often then go on to sell). The reason is time

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 11:56
Anybody know what Virtools is all about?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 18:28 Edited at: 14th Jul 2004 18:30

*points down* You don't mind Red_eye, do you?

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 19:47
@ReD_eYe

You need to make a DBP Fanboy website or something

http://www.jellystudios.tk
Current Project: Choplifter Remake
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 22:42
Quote: "If you're just doing this "for fun" then stop for a moment and ask yourself why so many professional games developers and artists are using the likes of DBP and Blitz for their pet hobby projects (which they often then go on to sell). The reason is time
"

the thing is is that i want to use c++ becuase it's much faster then DBPro...though it takes longer to code the same thing. the endresult is better...and i have lots of time on my hands so i'm more worried about the endresult...

but anyway what i think i'll do is use Torque as kind of a "stepping" stone to get me used to "c++ style coding"(it uses OOP and c++ "like" script) then when i go into c++ it won't be as big of a step(going right fom 3 years of basic languages into c++ would be painfull)

so i'll just make a game or two in torque(though i don't intend to buy the full version just for a "game or two"...the book version will work fine)

and of course i'm still using DBPro...

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 23:12
Quote: "going right fom 3 years of basic languages into c++ would be painfull"

You think going from only 3 years of Basic to c++ is painful? I've been using versions of BASIC for nearly 13 years. I'm finally starting out learning c++ and it really isn't that hard.

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "what i wanted to know as if anybody knew whether or not the engine was much slower then c++...
"

Torque is an engine, C++ is a programming language... you can't compare their speed.

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.ne1.net
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 23:57
Why in the hell is everyone using that ugly DBP fanboy sig??? Have you people lost your minds again?

Anyway, I tried the demo of torque, it's pretty slick.

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
i dunno what you have against that sig...
I looks absolutely coooooool

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:49
DBP Fanboy has a website now, and its better than your stylised carp Megaton
http://redeye.dbspot.com/fanboy.html
Works best in internet explorer(sorry)

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 02:55
Quote: "the thing is is that i want to use c++ becuase it's much faster then DBPro...though it takes longer to code the same thing. the endresult is better...and i have lots of time on my hands so i'm more worried about the endresult..."

Saying it is "much faster" simply isn't true. If you're a C++ expert and know how to write C++ code really well, then yes - of course it'll be faster. But if you're not, don't be under some misguided illusion that just because it's C++ it's infinitely faster. Poor code = Slow code, no matter what language you wrote it in.

- Oscar Wilde
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:24
Depends what you mean by faster... C++ is only faster optimised, and as C++ isn't technically ANSI Governed; there's like 20 completely different versions.
Each with thier own unique style, speed and optimisation routes.

It is all really a completely grey area. Although the code might be faster doing native stuff, the engine itself is far more important... and it'll take some time without middleware to achieve something actually faster than DBP.
Especially going the Dx route.

This isn't something to simply *fall* into, learning C/C++ takes time and dedication to make it worthwhile. Many, many people just end up quitting when they realise how much work is involved.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 07:37
Um ... http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS%2FISO%2FIEC+14882%2D2003

It's a full ANSI standard. In fact it's an ISO worldwide standard.

What does differ between compilers is the level of conformance to the standard.

I also have to disagree that you cannot write fast code to run on all C++ compilers (at least the ones I've used), although it might be that you cannot in some circumstances write optimal code.

Some of this is due to platform differences, some due to older brain-dead compilers and some due to unsupported optimisations within the compiler. All that the standard can do is suggest certain optimisations, as it cannot guarantee that a particular optimisation *is* an optimisation for a particular platform.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 08:22
yeah it's a standard Ian, but not governed.
ANSI C is governed; meaning they start legal suits if you claim a language you've made is C but doesn't stand up to the Standard they've set.

companies don't have to do that with C++, GCC afaik is the only compiler which actually adhears to the standard.

Borland and Microsoft C++ are both worlds apart though.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 09:35
Quote: "Don't know what DBP is? Well, you're retarded then aren't you...
You have to prove that you aren't retarded to find out what DBP is, try and find the hidden link....

"

I don't know who here is crazier. Me for looking at it, or you for creating it.

I feel sorry for DBP...

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 13:00
ReD_eYe, that site is beautiful.
You are truly a master of Paint.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 13:07
I really want to learn c++, because someday I want to get into the game industry, so what is the best way to learn?

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
if you want to make a game in C++ you have to program a 3d engine. (or you buy one)
In DBP the 3d engine is already done.
Programming a 3d engine in C++ is so damn complex, it would take you ages only to do something half as good as DBP so what's the point of learning it?
I'm sure Raven can give you 5 page-description of what you have to do
Tho if you really want to do it then buy a book about C++ for beginners or something like that.
BTW have fun learning the DX library

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 23:19
Check out Ogre on sourceforge, it's a nice cross platform C++ graphic library than should give you a significant head start if you're serious about game dev in C++. There's also CrystalSpace, I have not checked into it for a long time so I'm in the dark on any improvements that have been made.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
If you ask me Torque is the best thing ever! I love using it. Its based on C++ and is basically the Unreal engine. Actually it is. Its really good. (http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=1) Fi you don't already have it, it is worth the $100 and $150 for the shader engine.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 10:51
Errr Torque is nothing like the Unreal engine. It's the Tribes engine (which isn't half as nice as the Unreal engine imho).

- Oscar Wilde
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Oops, typo. I knew it was one of those engines. I don't know what made me think it was the Unreal engine.

SPECS:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 512MB RAM, 128MB ATI RADEON 9600SE, 16x DVD ROM & CD-R/W 52x32x52 Combo Drive, 19" Flat Screen CRT, 3 12" Cold Cathode Blue Neons
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 13:37
you should also check out the Irrlicht engine, it's another C++ based system, seems much more user-friendly than OGRE.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 14:20
Sig test

Join the Revolution.
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:30:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:30:55