Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / UDG Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:09
Does anyone know of any UDG (8 x 8 chars) editors for the PC - I'm testing an alternative way of displaying text (using user-defined graphics) - using sprites for everything is not always acceptable and gets rather tricky, especially for long pieces of text that constantly change.

And of course using Windows fonts is way too slow...

As an example of speed, on my machine 30 lots of 8x8 characters can be displayed at 400FPS
30 lots of the same characters scaled to three times the original size works out at 237FPS

As this is using DBpro, I would expect to see a fair speed increase once its in a plug-in.

Are you sensitive enough?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 08:08
Use notepad. I used this method to generate an 8 colour set of UDGs for a Centipede clone I never finished.

To Start you off, here's the letter A

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 15:59
how dos that help?

Create or Play? You choose!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 16:37 Edited at: 14th Jul 2004 17:19
I hope to be using BBC Font layout - which is an 8 byte format, which has a $17 and the ASCII code preceeding it... That way only required characters need to be loaded.

I might then make a TXT convertor...

By the way, the low speeds were due to the continue CLS'ing of the background - without that (its even faster).

Update : Yes, I will be using BBC Font layout (&FF7) - saves me having to do much designing

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 07:23
I decided to go for BBC Font format (&FF7 type) - as its nice and easy to use.

I'll stick a demo on my site later

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:39:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:39:45