Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Have you made money doing this?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:45
Hello! I am new to DB programming, and I was just wondering:
Has anybody around these forums made any significant money (significant for being indy that is) from selling there games themselves? I was just wondering (I plan to do this for fun really) if any one has done it indie and made anything, and if they have, who around here is it and what games? I would also appreciate a link to there site so I could see it!! Thanks!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:51
I do it for the women.

<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 07:56 Edited at: 14th Jul 2004 07:59
Yes people have made money off of the programs they've made in DBC or DBP or for DBC or for DBP. Such as Star Wraith (http://www.starwraith.com/) and the BlueGUI Plug-In for DBPro (http://blue.robert-knight.net/). Not sure if they've made considerable amounts of money (probably a decent amount) but yes, you can make money off of programs made by DBP (or for it).

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 08:05
I do it for the accolades of green-haired little girls

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 08:22
In theory I earn a ton of money from DBP games, which is then theoretically spent on the internet bandwidth it takes me to theoretically earn a lot of money.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 21:15
Im thinking about using DBP as a platform for multimedia projects for stalls at conventions or for cdrom presentations. I think the idea has merit. I havent finished a polished game but have many snippets that lead into oblivion due to lack of time or getting stuck on a problem. Ive had to cut down my ideas of a game due to lack of some coding skill as well which can be detrimental to the games fun.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 21:51
I plan to at some point - but anyone trying to flog their first game needs some attitude adjustments, it takes a while to learn DBPro enough to produce a sellable game - so all these team requests that promise the earth are made by people with little experience. In fact, the people who've made the most money rarely post, like the creator of StarWraith and that driving test app (which is very successful in the mainstream - a good example of utilising a gap in the market).

In comparison to other indi communities, I'd say we produce very good stuff and a lot of it would'nt look out of place as a budget title, like £10 - I doubt many of us could realistically charge much more than that.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:29
I'll second that, the current breed of X-Com clones is running around $20 USD and that sounds like a reasonable target for the kind of game that I'd like to produce.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:29:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:29:29