Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Bridging the Continental Divide (Is it possible)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 12:12 Edited at: 14th Jul 2004 12:33
I just got done browsing some of the international sites for DB and was suprised by some of the quality porjects going on from around the globe. I thought it would be benneficial to have some of the projects availalable on thegamecreators.com pages. [edit}My assumption was wrong the code is the same, only rem statements would be in a foreign language[end edit]* I understand that the text may be in a foreign language as well as the code (I am assuming that DBpro Russian version Doesn't have english words like Set Image ColorKey), but the Exe's would still be interesting.

What's even more strange is that I was unable to locate a demo that was co-authored by Rich Davey, that I believe used to be avalaible here, called "Shadow of The Beast". It was a short but quite good example of Parallax scrolling using large bitmaps scrolling at different speeds. I wanted to provide the link for someone here and was unable to find the demo. I did however find it on a foreign site. http://www.darkbasicpro.com.br/shadowbeast.asp

What makes it strange is that the code and text are in english.
Does anyone know why it was removed or if it was moved; where?

There were some good looking screenshots of DX9 Shader examples, as well as games like Link/Zelda clone.

Thanks
~zen

P.S. I guess I can understand not having the foreign language (though I think some of the Best could be hosted here) .exe's here, but there are other examples of english tutorials and samples that can be found on these sites that either I can't locate or that don't
exist here.

Perhaps my foreign language assumption was wrong, it looks as though the keywords are in english. So that might just strengthen the case.

Here is a game on the italian website (I haven't seen it here but I could have missed it) Sunday Drivers

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Sunday Drivers is by Ermes, who is a forum member here.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 17:26
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=86

Looks like you looked really hard for that.
DBP > ShowCase > Graphical Demos.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 19:18
And don't forget: http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=148

and doing a simple search for 'sunday' in program announcements brings up three huge threads about the game.

Boo!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 23:37
Kinda wish it was a more controlable game though, was great apart from that annoying snail pace bleck!
Hmm, ya know I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of Mode7 game made like Mario Kart or F-Zero; Just thinking about it makes me wonder how it would be achieved ... Hmm

It always did make me wonder how they did it, never could figure it out.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 23:43
What we could do with is a moderator in each board that speaks English and is willing to help us post details - I mean I posted a topic about VSD Tracker in the German forum, and if it wasn't for Hubdule getting involved I doubt many people would have paid much attention to it.

If we had a spokesmod from each forum that could do rough translations for us, and their own forum users then posting in all the other forums about the latest releases would be conceivable.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 00:02
http://user.chem.tue.nl/jakvijn/tonc/mode7.htm

Raven, maybe that'll help?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 00:06
Oh, cool... cheers

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 00:07 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 00:07
No problem Looks very complex though

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:53 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 02:04
Ok, Ok, Ok

I definately made a mistake(S). Put away the hammers.
/me wishes he could take that post back

The mistake I made is that when I come to the site i have a favorite link to www.darkbasicpro.com which gets redirected to www.thegamecreators.com: From which there is no showcase.

I guess I was looking at my old showcase link which is from DBC.
The DBpro showcase is www.darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com

I'm going to be taking some aspirin now.

====================================================================

But besides my poor excuse for examples there is still come coding goign on from other countries, that would be interesting to see here. VanB said what I was trying to get at. Even just a brief english description, we could have a showcase here from some of the work from other countries; Germany, Italy, Brazil, etc...

What makes this even more interesting, is that the code (keywords) are the same. I would like to check out more of the work the international DB programmers are doing but it's hard to follow the Non-English links.

~Zen

Oh well, I'm going to shut my trap right now....

That is after I get my foot out of it!

P.S. Sorry Ermes; I missed your game, but I might have been working on stuff at the time. Looked nice tough.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:38
For educational purposes (no hammering intended)...

The continental divide is the line that seperates the major water basins of a land mass. For North America, this line runs through the rocky mountains. Rain fall to the west of the line flows to the Pacific. Rain fall to the east of the line flows to the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic. To bridge the continental divide would be like joining New Mexico and Arizona, which already share plenty of desert.

The phrase you probably want is "international gap" or perhaps "language barrier".
--
TAZ, big time earth science fan in high school...

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Or "Cultural Wall."

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:43 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 04:43
hehe very good

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:42 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 05:57
I really need to be more careful posting in these forums. Oops! correction "Boards" (As Rich said it's one Forum that contains numerous boards!

I just liked the sound of the term "Continental Divide", and was purposely using it to describe something else. That being said, I can guarantee at the time I couldn't have given it the definition that was poste here.

So... I'll take my lumps.

I'm having a real bad time expressing myself these past few days.
=====================================================================
Definitions of Continental Divide on the Web:

The line of high ground that separates the oceanic drainage basins of a continent; the river systems of a continent on opposite sides of a continental divide flow toward different oceans.
odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/GEO/glossary.htm

An imaginary line dividing watersheds that feed oceans on opposite sides of the continent.
whyfiles.org/018forest_fire/glossary.html

a ridge or other elevated area that determines the direction of flow of waters running off adjacent drainage basins and the region of the world ocean into which they empty. The Eastern Continental Divide separates land draining to the Atlantic from that draining to the Gulf of Mexico.
www.radford.edu/~swoodwar/CLASSES/GEOG202/physprov/geolglos.html

n. the highest continuous line on a continent, does not necessarily include the highest peaks. In North America, rain that falls on the west side of this divide flows to the Pacific Ocean and rain that falls on the east side flows into the Atlantic Ocean.
www.nps.gov/brca/Geodetect/index%20pages%20&%20glossary%20&%20chest/glossary/Glossary.htm

the line of summits in the Rocky Mountains that separate streams flowing toward the Gulf of California and Pacific from those flowing toward the Gulf of Mexico, Hudson Bay and the Arctic Ocean.
www.pnl.gov/atmos_sciences/Cdw/Glossary.html

In North America, the continuous ridge of mountain summits dividing the continent into two main drainage areas. On one side, rivers and streams flow west to the Pacific Ocean; on the other side, rivers and streams flow northeast to Hudson Bay or Southeast to the Gulf of Mexico.
www.floodmaster.ca/glossary.html

is the line in North America that separates the waters which flow into the Atlantic Ocean from those flowing into the Pacific.
www2.parkscanada.gc.ca/parks/alberta/waterton_lakes/english/dictionary_e.html

An imaginary boundary line that runs north-south along the crest of the Rocky Mountains, separating river and drainages that flow west to the Pacific Ocean from those that flow south and east to the Gulf of Mexico.
www.bwcd.org/waterterms.html

the watershed of a continent (especially the watershed of North America formed by a series of mountain ridges)
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

A division of applications,snippets,games, written in DarkBasic, that are posted on certain countries websites while not in others.
www.IMadeitUp.ZenassemIsGuilty.com

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 09:44
Like I said, no hammering intended. I admit those are a nice assortment of definitions. So, extra points for doing the research.
--
TAZ

Game Beavers
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 16:21
Quote: "As Rich said it's one Forum that contains numerous boards! "

I believe Rich is incorrect there. It's actually the other way around, it's one board that contains many different forums.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 16:29 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 16:39
He made that distinction in the Banner competition, in which many people changed from writing Forums to Forum on the banners. I wasn't sure myself - as I always referred to it as the Forums. But I figured since Rich was in charge of short-listing... I better just agree with him

Quote: "
Quote: " one small question, rich. which is more correct: Forums or Forum?"

Forum is correct. The boards (dbpro, general talk etc) make up the single forum.

Cheers,

Rich
"

Now even my corrections are incorrect, and there is no way to correct and incorrect correction, and have any chance of making it correct! Am I correct or incorrect? Please correct me if i'm wrong? But that might take incorrecting my incorrect correction...hmmmmmm

~zen

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 16:36
Although Rich created this forum, he didn't invent them.

There's a reason why UBB, YaBB, PHPBB, VBB, etc are all called "Bulletin Boards" and that inside the control panel you add new "Forums" and "Sub-Forums".

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 23:32
Just to be mischevious, this is the home of the language with the MAKE PLAIN command.

Some of the definitions that I have read indicate that a forum is a single place to ask many questions. Even the URL of this site is slanted to the view that there is one forum. So, I'm willing to live with Rich's call on this. On the other hand, I tend to call the other 'boards' sections. IE. "Have you checked the general talk section of this forum?"
--
TAZ

Game Beavers
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 23:47
I call it a forum too, I was just providing the 'official' definition though.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 23:51
but what is the plural of "cheese"?

Highly irrelevant, but in synchronisation with the current conversation

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 23:56
cheeses

- sheep is a better example

All Hail the Glory of the HypnoToad
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 04:01
What are the international sites addresses?

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 05:10 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 05:10
I'm in the German-one and the french-one too ... but they don't seem so active as this one. Nobody heard about a belgian one ?

- Mind the gap -

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:22:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:22:24