Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What is the Best place to learn C++?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 13:59
Hi

I really want to get into the game industry when im older, I really,really,really do. I thought that by learning DBC maybe I could form some sort of portfolio of my ability, but then I came to realize that any employer would lagh at me for not using a "basic" language, My stupid highschool has no classes that teach any kind of programming, and living in the place I do, there is no tech club, or anything like that, Im essentially screwed in that catagory. I decided that if I tought myself a little C++ when I go off to colledge I would already know how to program. I want to know what is the best place to learn it online, sense that is the only viable option available to me. I thought about pitching in the money to take some online classes from a game colledge, but that costs a bit to much. Much of the reason I want to learn C++ is so that I can develope games for the Zodiac PDA/game console. So were do I start? Is there a cheap compiler for palm os, and windows? And is there anywere, were I can go over all the commands for C++? Essentially I just want to know, were is the best place to go to learn?

Thanks

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 15:42
start by learning the VERY basics of C(++), learn the syntax and how everything works...THEN go on to graphics and GUIs and stuff...as for tutorials and suck...search google, i have yet found a REALLY REALLY nice C tutorial but i already know java and the syntax is fairly similar, so i can read the C syntax fairly well, so i just learn by looking at source and changing things and what not :p

good luck

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 13:17 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 13:19
Darn double post,sorry.

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 13:18
yeah but where online can I go to find out about the basics of C++ and C++ game development? And where can I find a good chap or free comiler?

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 13:20 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 13:27
Here are some links that will get you started
http://www.gamedev.net
http://www.programmersheaven.com
http://www.gamasutra.com

And Major since I'm a big fan of Metal Slug, If your allowed to provide an adress or if you have a P.O. Box; I will send you some C++ books Including some of my beginner game programming books "Free of Charge". Some of them are based off of Directx7 or 8.1 though. There are plenty of free compilers out there. Let me know, if this is an option for you. you can email me at my username @hotmail.com

This is a one time offer, so unless Major Payn can't accept it, only then will I list and offer the material to the first taker.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 16:46 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 16:47
Those sites aren't really that good for beginning C++, they just have isolated articles on certain topics.

http://cplus.about.com/library/blcplustut.htm

Now that's a good place for learning the basics.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 17:50 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 17:53
And don't forget
http://www.cplusplus.com/

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
covers

Introduction
Instructions for use.
1. Basics of C++.
Structure of a C++ program.
Variables. Data types. Constants.
Operators.
Communication through console.
2. Control structures and Functions.
Control Structures.
Functions (I).
Functions (II).
3. Advanced Data.
Arrays.
Strings of Characters.
Pointers.
Dynamic Memory.
Structures.
User defined data types. (typedef, union, enum)
4. Object-oriented Programming.
Classes. Constructors and Destructors. Pointers to classes.
Overloading Operators. this. Static members.
Relationships between classes: friend. Inheritance.
Virtual Members. Abstraction. Polymorphism.
5. Advanced concepts.
Templates.
Namespaces.
Exception handling.
Advanced classes type-casting. (new cast and typeid operators)
Preprocessor directives.
6. C++ Standard Library.
Input/Output with files.
Epilogue.
The Author.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 17:53
Do note that learning C++ does not leave you wiht enough knowledge to write a game. Because C++ can be used for so many things, you may learn the usual hello world type of stuff - but that'll now way leave you ready to code games.

http://www.scorpioncity.com/djdirectxtut.html This gives an intro to DX programming in C++.

When you first learn C++ (which is scarily similar to PHP, or vice versa) you might want to write some games using IanM's interface library. DBPro commands in C++

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 18:52
@Exeat

Thanks that tutorial has made C++ real and not:

///@#asdadada[oifhasdoifsdf[oasdnfo[fsdifna[odsf[oiasdnf09-041
{3240i2we-
}asasd(asdA-_

- As it looked to me before

@Everyone else

Is there a list of all the C/C++ commands out there, like the DB help files? Reading through the help usually helps me out alot when I start learning a new language.

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 19:00 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 19:04
I guess MSDN would be the closest thing.

http://msdn.microsoft.com

There is no 'ultimate list' of commands for C++, C++ just has many, many functions that are included in files you may include in your project. For example, you can call functions from the Windows API by using #include <windows.h>, Math specific functions like Sin, Cos, and Tan are in <math.h>, DirectDraw functions are in <ddraw.h> and so on and so forth. There's too many to list and the best way to find out about them are through tutorials and references on the net.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 23:43 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 00:14
Reading through the C++ MSDN is quite scary. There aren't too many keywords in ANSI C++, I can list them here. Keep in mind there is also the Standard Template Library, plus each compiler adds some of their own keywords, Then there is the actual API {MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes), DirectX, SDL, OpenGL/ML, and the list goes on}

ANSI C++ Keywords (does not include library and class names)

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 02:45 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 04:44
That sounds great Zenassem! I have a regular mail box though, not a Po box.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 03:42 Edited at: 16th Jul 2004 03:56
Major Payn, Ok I have it, But I would recommend deleting the info from your previous post. I figured you would e-mail it.

Tell him what he's won Johnny...

C++ From The Ground Up - Herbert Schildt - Osbourne[Mcgraw-hill] Mint Condition Never used ISBN 0-07-881969-5 (C)1994

Sams Teach Yourself DirectX 7 in 24 Hours ISBN 0-672-31634-x (C)2000

Introduction to Computer Game Programming W/ DirectX 8.0 Ian Parberry, Ph.D. ISBN1-55622-810-4 (C)2001

And your very own BOXED Version with manuals of Borland C++ Version 5.0 with Java environment and Borland C++ Builder 3

I'll ship them tomorrow or Saturday the latest!

~zen

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 04:43
Great! You rule zenassum!

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 04:52
I say the same thing to everyone who wants to know how to learn C++. Join the forums at http://www.cpp-home.com As long as you don't expect them to code your whole game for you and you realise there's a hell of a lot to learn then the people there are really helpful and always willing to help a noob.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 05:03
Thanks code2kill, I was looking for a good forum for C++.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 08:16
No problem, I'm sure you'll put them to good use. While I do prefer using MS visual C++ 6.0, I can tell you that Borlands C++ 5.0 is a quality compiler. Builder is fun to build apps and utilities.

Happy Coding!!!

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 19:00
Zenassem, got anything left over?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
[IMG][/IMG]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:36:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:36:49