Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Aliens

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 14:43
No am not talking about illegal immagrants.. but iam talking about extratlroblah ya know the guys with the freaky eyes do you believe in them? and what are some of the strangest stories youve heard or what do you think they are like?

Making better games everday!
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 15:39
i believe in life on other planets, i dont think they are green skined freaks, i personally believe that they look just like we do, live a fairly similar life style, grow like we do...basically, another "earth" in a far away solar system.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 17:16
I believe there is life on other planets, but I also believe that guessing what they look like is plain silly, nobody could ever make an accurate guess about that.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 18:33
Quote: "but I also believe that guessing what they look like is plain silly, nobody could ever make an accurate guess about that."

LIES. Thats just a coverup plan, ISN'T IT?!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 20:17
Maybe life on other planets is as advanced as...amoeba.

Or does that take the sexiness out of finding other lifeforms?

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 21:01
Quote: "I believe there is life on other planets, but I also believe that guessing what they look like is plain silly, nobody could ever make an accurate guess about that."

Agreed.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 21:49
If they didn't exist, how could they ask us to take them to our leader ?

- Mind the gap -
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 22:04
Aha, so they have vocal cords then! ... or could they be telepathic?

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Aliens are many shades of brown. They are born with two eyes, two ears, 1 nose, teeth, and some hair. We however are green, with gills, and 1 eye. When we are born, the aliens swap our bodies for one that looks like theirs!!!

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 22:42
So, we are really dope fish? Kinda makes sense then

Swim
Swim
Hungry

http://www.jellystudios.tk
Current Project: Choplifter Remake
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 00:22
It's selfish to think "We are the only intelligent life out there"

I wonder if they have video games...

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
I think there isn't life on other planets

Here's my reason:

if the time the universe exists is represented by an axis, the axis would be infinitely large; the time of our existence would therefore be an infinitely small point on that axis.
now imagine every existence of any life that ever existed in universe is an infinitely small point on an infinitely large axis, the chance is actually quite small that there exists any other life in universe.
Now the chance that we ever see an alien is even smaller, cuz the universe is of an infinitely large size... so it's more likely that the sun explodes rather than we ever see any other life.

Quote: "i believe in life on other planets, i dont think they are green skined freaks, i personally believe that they look just like we do, live a fairly similar life style, grow like we do...basically, another "earth" in a far away solar system."

I think the best proove against this are dinosaurs. They led a completely different life than we do, they looked completely different, they didn't even have a body heat.
So i think if there's any other life in the universe, then it would look completely different. Cuz evolution is random and therefore they would probably look a way we're not able to imagine.
It's my opinion tho, i don't want to say yours is wrong.

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.ne1.net
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:22
Quote: "they didn't even have a body heat"

Your dinosaur theories are several decades out of date.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:43
I think we will find life, just not intelligent. They would be animals, not a civilization or anything. Who knows, maby there is some creature that can survive in space

I discriminate against discriminating people....
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:46
or what if creatures could live in any habitat? just earth creatures couldnt live in space extreme heat etc and what if the creature was a color that our eyes cannot see

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:55
Or what if the aliens are already here? I reckon left handed people are pretty odd, they are probably aliens in disguise...

DBP Fanboy is a Unregistered trademark of ReD_eYe uninteractive, no rights reserved.
http://redeye.dbspot.com/fanboy.html
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 03:32 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 03:42
Quote: "Your dinosaur theories are several decades out of date."

Hey dinosaurs were amphibians, and as far as i know amphibians don't have a body head.

EDIT: and reptiles (still no body heat)

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 03:44
Uh, not quite. They were another branch of lizards.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well lizards are reptiles

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:22 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 15:15
lol, the early birds were also reptiles and had body heat.

- Mind the gap -
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:22
There is also a lot of speculation that many dinosaurs were also warm blooded, especially those that took the evolutionary path towards birds. Also, any chemical reation such as burning calories will generate heat. A pack of raptors on the hunt will be warmer than the ambient air temperature.
--
TAZ

Game Beavers
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:28 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 04:29
But you shouldn't call it warm blood.
Call it like this :
homeotherm : with steady temperature
poikilotherm : with variable temperature

Because a lizard (you would call cold blooded) will be warmer than you, if it was in the sun of the desert

Also use the words : endotherm and ectotherm, where one produces his own heat, and the other uses the heat of the surroundings

- Mind the gap -
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:32 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 04:34
THANKS A LOT Damokles those were the terms i was searching for!
i wanted to say dinosaurs were poikilotherm!
And NO there aren't crocodiles which are homeotherm, all reptiles are poikilotherm!

Quote: "There is also a lot of speculation that many dinosaurs were also warm blooded, especially those that took the evolutionary path towards birds."

of course but those were the very last dinosaurs...
Remember dinosaurs existed quite a long time, eh

Quote: "
Also, any chemical reation such as burning calories will generate heat. A pack of raptors on the hunt will be warmer than the ambient air temperature.
"

That doesn't change anything. that's the same with reptiles today. still their called poikilotherm

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 04:48
Hey iam left hander >_> bah they no our secr....You didnt hear me say a thing!

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
lol that would explain that no one of my relationship is left-handed

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:09 Edited at: 18th Jul 2004 23:58
Nah, I go with the idea that space is so amazingly huge that it would be logically almost impossible not to be sentient life elsewhere. By the same argument I also think it's almost impossible we will ever meet sentient life.

Heh, always liked the hitchhicker's guide idea that there was no sentient life in the universe. Well, when you compare sentient mass to all other mass. Just a matter of rounding ie. approx 0.000000000000000000001% (add some more required zeros) of the universe is mass that is sentient life.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:15
My personal opinion is that there is not life on other planets. The universe is almost infinetely large, but the chances of life forming are almost infinetely small. If you you look at the numbers you'd think it was almost unbelievable it even happened once.

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe aliens are smaller than atoms and therefore we can't see them

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:49
or what if aliens are not like us but there actually what we call Virus because a virus they say isnt classiefied living becuase of its natures..

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:52 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 05:53
I have a piece of glass from a UFO that was shot by my grandpa's friend in the 80's. It exploded from the blast and he buried it because his wife freaked out. The next day a few vans were driving around with the radar dishes on the roofs, scoping out the area.

About 10 years later we went to the farm and dug up some of the glass. Oh and this happened in a little town in B.C., Canada--- nowhere near Area 51.

(true story)

Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:53
Scientists used to not classify a virus as life (which I think is ridiculous) but most are finaly starting to consider it living now. The 6th kingdom of life (depending on how you break it down).

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:54
There's one question that has never been answered....Why?

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 05:58
Wait, jeku you're saying that the UFO that was capable of interstellar travel didn't have enough structural integrity to withstand a bullet? Well I guess you didn't say you thought it was alien, but that is the general theme of this thread.

If that story is true, its much more likely that it was something a government here on Earth was testing out.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 06:27 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 06:27
Whatever it was, it blew up really good!

Apparently, before the farmer shot it, it was hovering above the ground flying around.

One of the other glass pieces had numbers on it, like a serial number...

Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 06:32
Ah yeah then it probably is something the government was messing with. I mean, you can't blaim them. Some things are better kept secret.

Its funny that his first instinct was to shoot it. That's pretty stupid, he could have inadvertantly started an intergalactic war!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 07:00
Well you can imagine from this guy's point of view, being an old timer country farmer with a shotgun by his side. I'd have shot it too :-P His wife apparently flipped out and was worried about going to prison or being abducted by aliens.

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 07:18
i am an alien - in both senses of the word

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 08:07
Quote: "i personally believe that they look just like we do"

98% of Human DNA is identical to monkeys, we have only a passing resemblance.

60% of Human DNA is identical to a Banana, we dont look anything alike.

However if life is uniform it is viable for Human like life to evolve, there's only so many combinations of DNA that are possible. Of course DNA doesn't shape culture or society in any way, but asuming another species has sufficiently comparable DNA to Humans there is then also the difference that gravity, atmosphere, and even solar cycle that would effect the species as it grows after birth.

In short, the only way the future will be anything like Star Trek is if we go out and settle other planets ourselves and then watch evolution get out of step.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:41
In a large point of view, I'm pretty sure there is life around Universe... the thing I guess that would never happen is the meet between them & us.
If you think a little about, we live into our Galaxy (MilkyWay) & we are just a little point into the entire galaxy... like a grain of sand in a desert... so, guessing that there are millions of galaxies like ours, life should exists in other millions of planets... evolution should not be the same..
So now, to meet them, we should have LightSpeed first... because if we wnat to reach the opposite part of our galaxy we should trip almost for one year at the light speed... in this case we should find another world where life exists... even in this case, life should be almost more than an amebea...

Reaching other galaxies will be more difficult & time is against us.
For those who knows, even if we should have the same technology of the "Star trek" series, I dubitate that we could find easyly other worlds because we should need to prospect millions of million of millions of planets around... Because the communication will be difficult to obtain. Radio waves walks linear & if we want to reach someone else in other planets, they should be stay on the same axis as our...

But who knows...

Maybe one day....

Ouch... someone is knocking on my door!

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 01:20
UFO's are real! Just not full of aliens!

It's a well known avaiation fact that a 'saucer' shaped aircraft produces lift when you propell it so they're ideal for flying! They were developed by the Nazi's who planned to use them to drop THE BOMB on the USA at the end of WW2. (Un)fortunatly the soviets captured all the Nazi scientists wokring on the project when they invaded Berlin, so during the cold war the soviets sent UFO's over Alaska to spy on the US who had most of its nuclear silos in the north. Hence the fact that the amercian government populairsed the reporting of UFO's so they knew what the reds were up to.

People who say they've been abducted are insane.
(or greedy)
People who say they've seen aliens ae also insane.
(or greedy)

'UFOs' come up as bright lights on alot of films as they used what is believed to be some sort of magnetic hover feature. I've seen it demonstrated basiclly all you do is tun some copper wire into a loop and hook it upto the mains and it just hovers. It was invented on an American 'black project' which are top secret, and as each of the 'cells' (each one working on a different project) move people around they guy who discovered the copper floating thingy belives that someone working on a UFO project was moved into his project (as he left) and thought 'ah' thats a good idea and jammed it on the bottom of a UFO.

Black projects ae 20 years ahead of the rest of us - so don't say its all impossible by todays standards.

Triangle UFO's were the american stealth planes (hence the fact that there are no longer triangular UFO's reported - we know their planes).

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
[IMG][/IMG]
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 01:48
Quote: "soviets sent UFO's over Alaska to spy on the US who had most of its nuclear silos in the north"

Not in Turkey then?

Anyway, I was thinking: Would aliens really say, "Take me to your leader?".

Given the law of averages, I think it is much more likely that they'd say (in their own language), "Take me to your alpha male".

This altogether changes my earlier response. I'd be happy to show him to Tony Blair and watch the slimey little reptile get what he deserves.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
FROGGIE!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 03:38
Alien life is probably like small insects like beetles/flies etc... I think the first alien life we find (if any) will be like the small fossils that are dug up on beaches such as amonites (the spiraly thing).

But who knows maybe we're just living in the matrix and alien life is just programs that refused to be deleted. (<- when neo was talking to the oracle in Reloaded)

I should have changed my signature when asked
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 04:36
Quote: "and watch the slimey little reptile get what he deserves"

You have something against slimey alien reptiles?

It is rumored that Mr. Blair has a suit lined with pure Tedium, the most boring element in the universe.
--
TAZ

Game Beavers
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So now, to meet them, we should have LightSpeed first... because if we wnat to reach the opposite part of our galaxy we should trip almost for one year at the light speed... in this case we should find another world where life exists... even in this case, life should be almost more than an amebea...
"

It's not possible to reach lightspeed, cuz according to Einstein's theory (E=mc^2) we would have infinite mass at lightspeed.
That would be a pretty cool trip as a black hole in the universe

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 16:38
I Beleive there is life on other planets, But i also beleive that we will never meet because, according to einstein's theory of relativity(spelt it wrong, i know.) It is impossible to travel at the speed of light, and this skill would direly be needed if humankind was to take on a journey this big.

The closest star to our galaxy is a star called Alpha Sentauri. This Star is 4 light years away. This means that if we traveled to this star at the speed of light it would still take four years. Imagine if we went to a planet 1 000 000 000 light years away!

@ Jeku:
I beleive your story could definitley be true, When i was little i remember seeing a shooting star land in my front yard. I searched for it for days.

@Dazzag:
Could you please edit your post so this whole thread doesn't stretch further then the screen, it makes it impossible to read.

Anyways,
Cya Later,
Axelman

CURRENT PROJECT: Enemy At The Gates
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 00:03 Edited at: 19th Jul 2004 00:04
Quote: "Could you please edit your post so this whole thread doesn't stretch further then the screen, it makes it impossible to read"
Yeah, sorry. Am normally at 1600 or 2000 resolution, so don't normally notice. Edited now.

Quote: "The closest star to our galaxy is a star called Alpha Sentauri. This Star is 4 light years away. This means that if we traveled to this star at the speed of light it would still take four years. Imagine if we went to a planet 1 000 000 000 light years away!"
Damn. I was going to say that almost word for word. Especially after that comment about getting to the edge of our galaxy in only one year at the speed of light. Clues in the name people. If something is one light year away then it takes light one year to get there. Therefore travelling at the speed of light takes you one year to get there. Easy. So 5000 light years is nuts. Even if you travel at the speed of light.

If someone has the trekkyness (ie. combination of *lots* of spare time and sadness) to dig out the approx size of the galaxy, then work out the approx speed needed to get there in anything approaching a true trekky episode, then we'll all be happy.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 00:05
To put that in retrospect, if Alpha Sentauri suddenly disappeared (let's say it blew up or Aliens stole it), we wouldn't be able to tell until 4 years after it happened! Weird, eh?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 00:15
Yeah, the "light year delay" is a strange thing, because you look up at the stars at night, and those stars are thousands of light years away, and you dont know whether they even exist anymore. Or if a blackhole came and destroyed them.

Join the Revolution.
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Aliens look up in 1000000 years and see the earth as a small point, even though it doesn't exist anymore

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
There are aliens, I was sent to Battle School to fight them, to fight the BUGGERS!!! I was known as Ender Wiggin the Xenocide!!!!!!!!
(I'm in middle of reading Ender's Shadow, dont' mind me)
I've also discovered that the pequenos are just as advanced as the formics a.k.a the buggers. You may send the little doctor at me but I could care less.

Got anime?
I do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:38:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:38:21