Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Building the big picture in my brain - tell me if I'm close.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:02
Okay - so I downloaded the trial of DB. I went through the forums and made my own pong game. It works - some of the code I don't understand yet - but that will come. I have been watching my kids play games and applying the simple rules I've learned from the pong game I have assembled a laymans ideology of game making.

(by no means all inclusive - just a broad overview)

It goes like this:

I make the characters and animate them
I make the world and animate it
I write the code that controls both character animations and the results of those animations in the world (this includes villans, bosses, explosions, shooting, dying, getting hurt).
I put them all together and viola!

I know that's like bare baones and by no means am I trying to downgrade the hardcore art of programing. I am just trying to rationalize the concept in my brain and build some steps that I need to climb before reaching the top.

I've learned so much from these forums in just a wee bit of time.

much thanks.

T.

There is no reality only perception.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:38
You for got the longest time period, The sitting down and planning how it's all going to work .

I found this helps a lot. I would also split up the above as well

Plan the game concept
Make the World
Make the Characters
Make the world work with the characters
Animate the Characters
Animate the world
Add special effects

Get the core structure there first then add the bells and whistles.

Thought this is only my idea of approaching things, I expect others differ.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:45
Both are good approaches. Taking the time to understand how all the peices work together is important. From a coding perspective, most programs can be broken down into two sections: initialization and the main loop.

Initilization include loading resources, setting variables, perhaps reading INI files or registry entries to get configuration data. It might even include some user interfaces such as loading screens and perhaps a main menu.

The main loop is the continueous checking for user input, resolving game actions, dislaying graphics, and returning to the top of the loop to do it all again.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 16:38:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 16:38:18