Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Symantec is offline?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 21:33
Hi,
I've been having a problem and I can't find the solution anywhere. For over a week now I can't access symantec.com and my friends can. I've been told that there is some kind of spyware/malware that is doing this and that there is a way to get rid of this problem. But adaware can't find anyhthing and neither can any antivirus find any virus so I was wondering if any of you have heard what's wrong and could help me.

Thx

Take care
AtomR
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 21:54
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/us-files/20040715-051-i32.exe

That's the direct link for the latests Norton AV virus definitions, see if you can download that, if you can, do it, then run NAV to see if it can pick up any virus. If not, then I'd say there's either something seriously wrong, or it's a new virus

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 22:22
Oh this is almost a fact that you're infected with some sort of malware,most assurely,spyware.

You should backup and destroy the rest by any means if disinfection fails.

Did you try housecall,Norton or Spysweeper?

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 00:56
Seen this loads of times. There are quite a few viruses that disable internet access to the most popular antivirus sites. Most of them simply change your 'hosts' file (In XP that is found in system32\drivers\etc). Edit it in notepad and the default is only to have the following line in it:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Some virues add in all sorts of strange stuff. See if there is an entry for symantec in there.

There is also another file called lmhosts.sam that may have been modified aswell

Boo!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 03:58
I killed a virus like this by simply deleting my tempory internet files, history and cookies in the internet explorer options. Always worth a bash.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:38:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:38:36