Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / SDL any good?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 10:11
Hi

I have been hearing quite a bit about something called SDL. Supposably it is supposed to help you program games in C++. Does anybody know what this is exactly? And if its any good?

Thanks

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 10:21
If I remember right SDL is a library of commands that perform various graphical functions, possibly some GUI stuff.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 10:24
cool, so this add commands to make graphics in C++ easier, so you dont have to program everything yourself?

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problems, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problems anymore.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 10:42
Nope. It's a cross-platform compatable layer for keyboard, mouse, joystick, sound, and an OpenGL frame buffer. You have to write all the OpenGL stuff yourself.

All you really needed to do was read the front-page on the SDL site and it would have told you this. Oh, and it's the first hit from Google too

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 11:27
Bear Crazy > Do you mean GDI, for windows?

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 12:39
Well is there any programs, or Dll's out there that perform a specific task in C++ so you dont have to? I know there is, that was a stupid questions, but if so were can I find these? For example, is there a free Dll for C++ that allows you to implement ragdoll physics?

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 13:10
hehehehe.... ragdoll physics. -> http://www.physicsengine.com

but I have a strong suspiscion you're expecting WAY TOO much.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 13:20
Quote: "Well is there any programs, or Dll's out there that perform a specific task in C++ so you dont have to?"

Yes, its called Dark Basic Pro - heh

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 02:14
Well I need to learn C++ as I want to have a future in the gaming industry, so I thinks its best I leave DB and learn C++, I was just wondering if there was a good physics engine out there.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 03:40
No good free ones - the best ones are very expensive...

Are you sensitive enough?
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 20:02
SDL is pretty much a group of open source libraries using OpenGL that are (somewhat) platform independant. I love SDL, it's what I'd use if I needed to make something that I could easily compile for both Linux and Windows PCs. However, it sounds like you're looking for a set of libraries designed for game making but for beginners. I'd check out a bookstore and find a book on C++ programming or DirectX because if you don't understand what's going on you'll find it hard to do things in C++. Also, check around the 'net for game libraries, you might find something you like.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 21:28
TCA I beg to differ, Tokamak, ODE, and Newton are all free, and all very powerful.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 21:35 Edited at: 18th Jul 2004 21:38
I've tried to bite my tongue over this post for long enough, but I can't hold it in any longer.

you won't get any easier, more straight forward and pitched and GameDev than Dark Basic

As soon as you move to another language, it gets a little bit more complex. BB3D, GCS, CrystalSpace... all of them, while still excellent at providing an interface to making games are still that little bit more low level. If you're gonna jump from DBP, you will need to learn a lot more. The best you're going to get is something like the SDL, or CDX. However, these only provide a more straightforward interface to Sound, Sprites and a little bit of 3D. You won't get a "make terrain" command, nor a "set object specular". The general assumption is, that if you're going down the C++ route, then you want 100% control over your engine and you know what you're doing.

There isn't a C++ magic wand dude... if there was, we wouldn't be chatting here.

I think the general thought around DBP is that it provides a nice stepping stone to C++ Game Dev. You get to learn how to implement algorithms and systems without worry about how to animate a character, for example.

My advice is to continue to use DBP until you outgrow it. Use it to make a couple of advanced games (which yes, will require annoying work arounds) and then decice if you still want to invest the time and heartache of committing yourself to a game dev career.

Floats like a butterfly, stings like when I pee
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 22:59
Just learn C++ the hard way. It seems difficult at first, but in the end the bits you really need to know are all very easy.

SDL is an excellent alternative to setting up the windows all by hand... the only downside really is that I don't think you can create more than one window, but if you're looking at opengl then I don't think that will be neseccary for a while.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 13:58
Also, to put things in perspective I know around, say, 12 programming languages. The hardest one to learn was C++ (which I don't even put down on my resumé because I'm not that confident with my skills in it) and this is from a list that includes Perl, Prolog, and Haskell. If you know an object oriented programming language like Java or C# it'll be a lot easier to lean C++ if not learn C first (it's easier) and then go into C++. LEARN BASIC C++ FIRST BEFORE STARTING TO MAKE A GAME. Trust it'll probably be too overwhelming and you won't get much done or learn that much.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:33:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:33:34