Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Classic Gaming Expo UK - 24th - 25th July

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 11:12
Just wanted to let you all know about this incase you didn't already. I've got my tickets booked and the wife and I are going there for the weekend. Full details here:

http://www.cgexpo-uk.com/index.php

I am seriously hoping to pick-up one of these there:

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 18:33
Is that a new piece of kit for Retro games, or just an old piece of kit?

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 18:34
woaaah!....

Quote: "Manic Miner 3 - a.k.a. "Miner Willy Meets The Taxman". For years it was a game that was rumoured to have existed, but could never be confirmed - UNTIL NOW!

Stuart Fotheringham recently sold the original Mega-Tree development discs on eBay. They were snapped up by Retro Gamer magazine, and the contents will be exclusively unveiled at CGEUK!"

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 18:39
Atari?!?! /spits/ I never thought that you were one of 'them'

Is that a pic of Lee that I can see on the first page?

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 19:58 Edited at: 17th Jul 2004 20:01
Pah, Atari made the computer world what it is today .

Is that just a joystick, or is it one of those plug-into-the-telly-and-play gadgets?. Tell us more .

EDIT:
How cool is this!

Gotta get that!

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 20:50
You are of course correct.

What I should have said was 'ST!?!?! /Spits/'

For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 22:53
Van - it's a 100% genuine arcade stick designed for plugging into a PC, X-Box, PS2, etc and works perfectly with MAME, etc. They are made brand new, not those silly "plug into your TV" things.

See for yourself here:

http://www.x-arcade.com/landingpage.shtml?CMP=KNC-google

I have one of thos Namco sticks - it's actually pretty good, but you only get so many games (Bosconian being my favourite).

IanM - careful now...

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Van 8
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoah that's an expensive joystick! - nice and robust though, most modern joysticks aren't built to last (I still use the same stick I got with the Spectrum!).

You should check out the mame cabinet while your at the expo - planning on building one myself - complete retro gaming bliss.

Van-B

It's all gone .
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 01:01
Oops, time to back down. My special Mod abilities are no match for the power of the Admin

I suffered from a deprived childhood - there were no arcades near enough to my school. I was limited to the odd game of Nemesis at the Bus station in the mornings

Take pity on me. Can I have my 'moderator' label back? Please? Pretty please?

Van 8
Years of Service
User Offline
LMFAO!!!

I think you should download STeem and try and win back your soul.

Van-B

It's all gone .
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 01:12
IanM - heh, of course

- Oscar Wilde
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 01:38
Van B, those are 28$ here.
(Canadian currency, 20$ in U.S)
Too bad they only come with like...10 games

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 01:40
Quote: "Whoah that's an expensive joystick!"

Yeah it is, but it's totally worth it I am going to treat myself to one if I can find any left at the Expo. They are MASSIVE too! especially the 2-player ones, they even have little side buttons for pinball games

- Oscar Wilde
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 03:34
Hey Rich, cool avatar!

I wish I was going to the CGExpo in San Diego but, alas, I'm getting married next month and I need to save all my money for "more important" things (hard to imagine, I know)

SpecTre1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 04:49
Hey Rich if you into all this stuff you will like my m8's web site

http://www.octave-sounds.co.uk/

He plays regular at Back in Time Live and will be playing this year also!

New to DBPro comin from AMOS on the Amiga!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 05:16
Quote: "I wish I was going to the CGExpo in San Diego but, alas, I'm getting married next month and I need to save all my money for "more important" things (hard to imagine, I know)"

Heh.. tell me about it!

Me: "But I REALLY need this console collection off eBay!"
Wife: "No"

Spectre - cool, am checking out the site now.

- Oscar Wilde
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 22:11
Wicked. I live literally a few miles from Croydon. Only a quick bus bus journey away. Might have to pay a visit to the show.

Boo!
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 09:55
Van B, I used to own an Atari 520ST with a PC emulator. Lol, this is how I got through my Computer Studies course. Managed to get GEM and old Turbo Pascal running on it quite nicely. Sadly no longer have it. But STeem, well that almost made me cry with nastagia. Still love playing Xenon. Remeber the Saturday morning shows when they had the competitions with Xenon?

Anyway!!! Where did I put that that Amstrad CPC464 RamPack?

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 10:42
Croydon? You may be seeing me there. Pop on the old 409 and I'll be there in no time.

Infra-Dark
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 08:42
Well, I went to the show, paid the extortionate entry fee of £7.50 and was most dissapointed.

Looked around everything in less than an hour and walked out.

Matthew Smith, of Jet Set Willy fame, gave a talk but he didn't seem to be all there in the head. The years have not been good to him.

Lots of geeks walking around and a few that really stunk. Don't people know what a shower is?

So, only go if you are a die-hard retro computer fan.

Boo!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 07:57
Spooky - I think the organisation left a lot to be desired. They should have given you a decent floor plan upon entry and the talks time-table. I missed one of the talks I really wanted to hear (from the guys who wrote the Dizzy games) because they announced it over the PA 15min after it had started.

Having said that - I did enjoy it and picked up a few nice items - most notable being an Asteroids Deluxe arcade machine marquee which is bloody brilliant. I also grabbed a copy of Repton, a few back issues of C&VG to fill some holes in my collection and some Atari ST CDs.

Only really spent about 3 hours at the show though, but the weekend was great fun anyway because my wife and I stayed in a lovely 4-star hotel, ate at the most awesome Thai place I have ever been to and watched the really great street circus perform in the evening: think classical music played with electric guitars while a giant mobile hung from a crane, each element of which was a human doing acrobatic things. Bloody stunning! Nice small fireworks display at the end too.

So yeah, we went mainly for the show - but ended up having a much nicer time outside of it

Am still chuffed to bits about the Asteroids marquee though.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 08:56
Have to agree about the organization. It was terrible. Not even anything outside of building telling you there was a show on at all, no timetable or floorplan which just caused people to wander around wondering where to find the rest of the stalls. I only stumbled across Matthew Smith's talk completely by accident in a room on the 1st floor off a corridor not even part of the show!

I saw Andrew Oliver walking around and would have liked to hear his talk as I owned nearly all the dizzy games on the Amiga and finished all of them without cheating.

Yeah, I was very tempted by some of those marquees too.

I sold all my old C&VGs and Crash mags years ago at car boot sales but reckon I should have kept them as it looks like they are becoming quite collectable judging by the prices they were being sold at.

Also got rid of my complete collection of hundreds of Amiga mags last time I moved house. Kicking myself now as I bet they would be quite collectible in the coming years.

I bet your wife loved the shops in Croydon. There's bloomin loads of 'em. The trams are cool as well. First time I'd seem them even though I live just a few miles away.

Got a bit lost trying to find the show as I was using some ripped out pages from a ten year old A to Z and Croydon has changed so much since then.

Oh well, it was lovely and sunny on Saturday, so at least the day didn't go completely to waste.

Boo!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:38:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:38:12