Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / encryptions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was reading a lot online about encryptioning and useing it. I hear that it is legal to use encryption products that are outlaw in some countrys. I do not know exacty why.

I was reading the top of the putty web site of the top of it.(For people that do not know what putty is. it is a product that does SFTP, SSH, telNet, SCP, and RSA or DSA key generations) On top, it said this.

-LEGAL WARNING: Use of PuTTY, PSCP, PSFTP and Plink is illegal in countries where encryption is outlawed. I believe it is legal to use PuTTY, PSCP, PSFTP and Plink in England and many other countries, but I am not a lawyer and so if in doubt you should seek legal advice before downloading it.-

aah why would encryption be illegal in some countrys. Only thing that i can think why is because of terrorists.

Are you a leader or follower.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 04:59
If encryption was illegal .... How would you keep any information from the terrorists?

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 09:27
How do you get the information to the auorities if encryption is allowed?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
[IMG][/IMG]
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 04:18
Yeah, some countries do that the theory being that you would only be using encryption on your private communications if you were up to something. In other cases it might be that someone owns a patent on the encrpytion algorithm in that area.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:37:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:37:44