Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Grounded

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 05:37
Not sure for how long or what, but all i now is im not going to be on the computer for a while, apparently im "spending to much time on the computer" according to my parents, although the day before we got in an arguement about me playing golf (I don't want to, they make me, so the logical way to get me to golf is by banning me from the computer apparently)

to anyone i have projects going on with, you can email me and ill try to keep in touch as well as i can

bye bye for now
Matt

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 05:38
umm. not Pron then?

lol

Hard Luck mate

Create or Play? You choose!
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:11
Yeah, my parents try that too, alot, never keeps me off.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:18
Ouch... My parents always say things like "This weekend, no computer at all. Go find something else to do..."
My dad wants me to golf too...
But it turns out they never get around to actually "banning" me from the computer...

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:19
Wrap those dumb ass clubs around a utility pole and they may get a clue. It may not help you with being grounded. Parents that try to inflict a sport on their kids need a swift kick in the pants. They're obviously out of the loop.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:20
What I'd do is make a boot disk or something so only you can access the computer, then they'll have to let you on!

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
[IMG][/IMG]
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:20
I would choose golf over computer any day.

<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
_Nemesis_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:34
Killswitch, i don't see how that could work, stopping other people getting into your own pc
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:53
Ah geez mattman not again. I have to spend less time on my PC or I'm going to waste my whole summer too...(almost half of it past already! Holy fishheads!)

Anyway mattman, whith no php coder guy, we're gona have to compress DBG into an on-line newsletter.
(Hey I'm not complaining, less work for me)

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 07:47
Haha, my parents don't ground me, or follow through with idle threats(hence making them idle, duh ) They do constantly say i spend too much time on the computer, which i think is abit cheeky, as genneraly while i'm on the computer they're watching tv or sleeping, which are much better activities And i play loads of sports, although teh golf sucks jimmy. They even have the cheek to tell me i need to be more active, when i've been told by a doctor type person to rest my leg(i have shin splints) because of doing too much running+jumping in the last few weeks/months...Bloody parents

Now shall i start my rant?
No?
Go to hell yourself f00l...

DBP Fanboy is a Unregistered trademark of ReD_eYe uninteractive, no rights reserved.
http://redeye.dbspot.com/fanboy.html
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 12:42
ok, now Ive been given some time back, so megaton i can still continue (hoorah!) but it'll take longer with less time for me to work in.

cya
matt

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 12:45 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 12:45
I don't see why parents think computers have such a bad influence on their children. I suppose they could have a bad influence, if you're not doing something productive with them. However we're programmers, so naturally, we're doing something productive...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Parents that try to inflict a sport on their kids need a swift kick in the pants. They're obviously out of the loop."

out of the loop? kids (actually, anyone) do need some sort of physical activity in their lifes. it's just a biological necessity if you want to stay relatively healthy. and i agree with jimmy, golf kicks ass.

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net.
no: website for progs yet.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 16:11
Quote: "I would choose golf over computer any day."

Lol, me too.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 16:42
Quote: " However we're programmers, so naturally, we're doing something productive..."

Unless your writing viruses or planning to steal top secret govewrnment records or something....

Create or Play? You choose!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 17:25
It's all Dominic Diamonds fault.

In the early nineties there was a documentry with him, saying how computers were addictive and showing a lot of overwieght American Mario addicts. Woh - we all got it in the neck after that!.

I reckon you should have a sporty hobby too, no point in sitting rotting every night, should try and get away from the PC at least one night per week.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 17:37
Ah, gotta hate parents.

When I was young, my parents tried to get me away from my old pentium 1
No problem, I just started playing with the neighboor's kid (on his pc )

Nowadays, I just go to drink beer at the local pub or go to the gym when they tell me to do something else. (they will never find me there )

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 18:07
@ IV E IVI E S I S

Ahh I keep thinking about my PC having to share it with my entire family (although im on it the most, you guys should no I spend way too much time here) - still that sorta thing would work for me!

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
[IMG][/IMG]
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 21:05 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 21:05
It never gets any better...

Being married with 3 kids, the missus moans when I'm on the PC and should be "doing stuff" in the house, or sitting on the sofa cabbaging out in front of Big Brother, like all happily married couples do.

So it's time to think outside the box, and turn things to my advantage.

If I had a nice shiny new D-Link wireless router, I could do my duty and suffer Big Brother whilst doing my essential surfing. The missus could also get the shopping delivered from Iceland online, thus giving her more time to do the stuff she wants me to do.

Win-Win.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 22:42 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 22:43
Well my parents weren't too fond of the atari,then came the nes...Nowadays it's PC's.

Thankfully though, me and my friends were so hooked that actually made us lose some weight.

I remember spending nights playing role-playing games on the nes and my friends taking up their turn every 1 hour until the nes' power block alone actually made the room suffocating.

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 23:53
Quote: "Quote: "I would choose golf over computer any day."

Lol, me too."

yep golf is fun better than sitting on your arse all day, which is what I do most of the time.

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Soccer beats Golf anyday, doing rainbows, so I've come up with the uptimate idea, whil I play X-Box I kick around a soccer ball and juggle and all sorts of little tricks like that. Too bad I can't do it around my computer.

Got anime?I do.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 00:06
I can't figure out why peoople play golf, it's not really exercise. My idea of how golf started: Guy was walking around hitting a stone with a stick beacause he was bored. Ball falls in hole. Guy thinks "someone should make a rule set for this"(Beacause he was stupid). GOLF IS BORN!!!

If you wanna do something fun, try fighting someone.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 02:47
Well, they puta password on my dads pc which has internet, so I was forced to sit on my computer with no internet and like 1mb free of my 20gb hard drive (oh fun)

although i figuired how to make very basic 8 bit sytle graphics in dbc productive i guess

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 04:48 Edited at: 21st Jul 2004 04:51
LOL parents have realy cunning passwords (not!), try your mums maiden name, the name of the dog/cat, or the ever popular "password" password (or the variant with a 0 (zero) for an o), it`s like most burglar alarms, they recon most of the four digit alarm codes start 19 since most people use their birth year for the code, so most alarms only have 99 possible permutations (and a whole swath of those are obviously not possible eg 1930 or 1989), or boot it into safe mode when they aren`t around and install a keylogger

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 05:15
your not supposed to give destructive advice like that mentor...

i'm pretty much not allowed to buy anything where the main point is to go and beat-up\shoot people...so i play with my friend...who has a x-box, GC, and a outdated PC

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 05:38 Edited at: 21st Jul 2004 05:38
lol, once i told my mother about the crucifiction scene in silent hill, and she kinda told me not to play it. the next day i tell her i want to buy silent hill and she asks "is that the game with the crucifiction scene?" and i say yes and she says ok. guess she thought it over or something, lol.

edit: oh, the best sport is bochii ball!

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net.
no: website for progs yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:24:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:24:31