Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [DBPRO] How to make a footprints... ideas?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to make a footprints on a textured object - terrain from Advanced Terrain Pack. Any ideas how this one can be done? SOme ways i can see is:
1. Use memblocks to blend 2 images... But TERRAIN uses very BIG texture image and it will be too slow...
2. Use simple plains with textured footprints and leave them behind player... But it is very unaccurate, especially if i'm using a full 3D camera view.

Any suggestions?
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 05:43
i suggest finding where the player left his footprint(by some equation using the players position and your knowledge of where the foot is in the current animation...) then get the normal of the polygon that is closest to the place(maybe using NGcollision? or intersect object?) and then position and rotate a plain with the texture right where the polygon is and then move it away from the polygon just a tad...

my two cents....

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
PantheR RIP
Years of Service
User Offline
Ehh... Nice but advanced a bit idea =) I don't know if i can do it... And what is NGcollision by the way? I think i've heard about that one...
Also what does it mean - get the normal of the polygon? I think i know what does it mean but i want to make somebody explain this for me =)

Any snippet will be very helpfull! I think footprints may come in handy in many game projects... So can anyone help with this one?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 17:19
All your 3d objects are made up of triangular polygons. The normal of a polygon is a unit vector (vector of length 1) that can tell you the orientation of that polygon.(how it's rotated.)

"eureka" - Archimedes
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 17:47
I went ahead and wrote a function for ya. All you gotta do is adjust the function to work with multple footprint objects. Pretty easy to do.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 23:16
nice one

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
PantheR RIP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 01:53 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 01:54
Thanks a lot Phaelax!! =) My math knowledge is weak a little but i'm learning fast =)

By the way, i think this one can be a good snippet for a codebase! =)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 04:07
I'll stick it in there.

"eureka" - Archimedes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 17:38:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 17:38:28