Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Any Linux users?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 08:20
Anyone here use Linux (or any other UNIX-like OS)? Just curious.
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 09:37
Yep. SuSE 9 Pro. I also downloaded Knoppix and DamnSmallLinux. If you have IRC, my Linux chat is on irc.chattingaway.com, channel #linux.

Join the Revolution.
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 13:50
SuSE is nice, the only ditribution I feel that can adequately rival RedHat. I currently have a RedHat 9 parition on this machine which I plan on upgrading to Enterprise soon.
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 14:24
Nice, I've heard a lot of good things about RedHat. I downloaded the Linux Wireless LAN drivers (open source from www.linux-wlan.org), I just need to compile the source and make the file and the config. Then maybe I can get online (With Linux) in my bedroom.

Join the Revolution.
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 15:56
Right now i'm using DSL... this isn't by choice though.
I was installing it so I could run an ancient system and give it a purpose as a programming station.

However what has happened is it has killed a 13GB HDD, which has intern killed off my Windows XP installation. It has also appeared to have done something to my motherboard, or bios, or something because ontop of all of that it won't even boot up the 'emergency hdd', which works fine on my other system.

God knows why, but i always get this damn stupid tingli feeling whenever i use Linux. Usually followed by seering anger and sharp shooting pains down my left arm.
Definately a very strong reason why usually I stick to Solaris.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 18:55 Edited at: 21st Jul 2004 22:36
Quote: "Usually followed by seering anger and sharp shooting pains down my left arm.
"

Oh, quite true...

I came, I saw and I forgot all about it... or something...
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 21:39
Running Debian on two machines and Gentoo on another.

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
Riddick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 03:32
I using Mandrake 9.2 for web site tests and server stuff
Shame I don't know how to program very well

Sonic
Spirit Knights
Tend to the Body, Tend to the Mind, Tend to the Spirit
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 06:28
Red Hat 9.0 at the mo on machine 2 without the FX card cos RH is allergic to em, so it`s running on a 4mb trident 3d image card I had floating about, trying to get the dvd player to realise it can read dvds at the mo (and failing)

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I had it on as a web server, but I install it wrong and it was unstable. Since i did not know how to install it right like a true unix user would I had my cousin take my linux box and reinstall it the right way and fix it up.

Are you a leader or follower.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 08:46
I will be using FC 2, when i get a new modem for my java development

Visit the Db chat room, ask me for details!.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 10:59
Quote: "Red Hat 9.0 at the mo on machine 2 without the FX card cos RH is allergic to em, so it`s running on a 4mb trident 3d image card I had floating about"

Check the NVIDIA site, they've *finally* released a self setup for Linux IA32 (i386) for RH8, RH9, SuSE, Other Distro.
It works fine as I used it earlier today.

Oh and for those wondering, usually I'm running RH 10.3 Enterprise and Sun Solaris 10 (for X86)... both provide me with very stable professional solutions.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't trade both any day of the week for Windows XP 64-bit though, nothing more stable, powerful or simple for the x86 imo.

Really I do see both Irix and Unix in a far better light than Linux, simply because as far as I'm conserned Linux is tainted.
It is where the computing scum of the earth tend to base themselves from; and most people who use it often seem to have this hypnotic glow from using it... as if brainwashed into believing the OS stands out even to the point where I have had people try and convince me that it is better than Unix. (which i can't tell you on how many levels that is just so wrong)

Seems odd to have a conversation about this going on in a forum for users of a product which is purely for Windows.

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2004-07-14
This comic should be good.

Are you a leader or follower.
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 13:35
Heh, Epo that comic is sooo true (although, recently I've been seen RedHat Enterprise all over the place)

As for the Linux v. UNIX issue, it depends. For security you want BSD, for high performance graphics rendering Irix, for just having a nice OS that's compatable with most hardware you want Linux. OpenBSD is the power house of network security and is what I'd upgrade out servers at work to if we could (we need to use a special version of RH 7.3 because the computers use a special motherboard for more than one i386 processor). Irix is on its way out unfortunately since SGI thinks that it'll be easier to keep Linux up to date. AIX was a bit too different I think and the institution I work for has had bad experiences with Solaris (SunOS was great but when Sun switched over to System V code they changed a bit too much). However, the big thing saving certain versions of Linux (this only really applies to RedHat and SuSE) is that it can be made compatible with any version of UNIX. I just compiled a program this afternoon for interfacing with an online database to retrieve data from some of our experiments which was writen for Solaris but compiled no problem on RH 7.3-FCr1 but failed to compile on Debian, Mandrake, and *BSD. Also, programs usually gain support for Linux before *BSD and other variants. Personally, RH is the way to go in my eyes, it's compatible with most stuff (unlike Debian and Slackware which we've had a ton of issues with), has excellent support, and is available free online (Fedora Core releases 1 & 2) and commercially (Enterprise). Although, for servers and high-security applications the BSDs still tend to be better (due to the fact that they were completely rewriten for it...). NetBSD is good for working on many platforms, OpenBSD is good for security, and FreeBSD is.. well.. I'm not sure what FreeBSD's good for but probably something.
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 15:44
I got Mandrake 9.2 on one of my machines... not used it much though because most of the people I aim to program for are on windows machines... that and my games dont support it .

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 06:02
I have FC2 on my laptop. I'd rather have Mandrake but when first booting it had some weird error that i could find nothing on so i stopped trying to get it to work. Fedora tends to overheat, which isn't good.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 06:10
Gothu... Solaris 10 is Irix based not SystemV. SGI are not trying to phase out Irix, they just released a brand new build, although it's true thier work is supporting more Linux builds they have non of thier own and with HP & Sun making thier new OSs from Irix as well as almost every major graphics studio using it for Maya and Softimage workstations it isn't going anywhere even if SGI wanted it to.

Developers like Alias and Avid have stated they do not intend to ever fully support Linux. Unix, Windows and Irix are the platforms they want to work with and will continue to.

Also remember Solaris isn't Sun's only OS, and it isn't the only one based on Irix... problem SGI have on thier hands is Irix is just too damn good for it's own good.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 01:10
No, it was confirmed by SGI, SGI is going to eventually phase out Irix as well as MIPS in favor of Linux on Itanium processors. As for the brand new Solaris 10 being based on Irix, I haven't been able to find reference of it (doesn't mean it's not true) but Irix is mostly System V code anyway (with BSD code) so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in my eyes.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 01:49
Previous Solaris were java based which made them... well, slow.
current version is compatible with alot more hardware and is damn slick.

Well as I said, there are far too many dependancies on Irix for them to achieve it imo
It would be like them saying 'We're dropping OpenGL support to concentrate on helping Microsoft with DirectX'

just ain't going to happen, too many people use it and plan to.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 02:18
At work, I use Linux (Various), solaris8, Solaris 9, HPUX11, HPUX11i on Itanium2, AIX 4.3.3, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, iSeries, zSeries, Tru64.

At home, i've decided to stick to Windows .

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:46:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:46:36