Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Rogue AI

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 06:35 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2004 05:44
Just goofing on Google and felt nostalgic. Actually, there are a lot of threads here that have some merit for people making RPGs.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.games.roguelike.development
--
TAZ

And a related web site: http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 01:18
*Reminisces about Moria, NetHack, and Angband*
*sigh* Those were the days.....
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 02:38
Indeed, making a rogue like game in DBP would be a nice change from all the pong games out there. Building a Diablo clone is not that difficult, if you stick to the Rogue/NetHack formula.

Have you seen some of the AI articles in that group? Interesting stuff.
--
TAZ

Game Beavers
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 03:04
The AI articles are pretty standard stuff, although I've never tried to write AI for a rogue-like.... hmm... *has idea for next project* I actually wrote a rogue-like engine of sorts in DB where you just configured some files to make your game but I never finished it. As for Diablo, It'd be a piece of cake. I started a clone but never got anywhere with it because of school. If you're interested in AI you should check out AI for games and Animation by John Funge, it's some really good stuff expecialy if DB is your primary language.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 05:27
I may have that book. If it is the one I recall, I kind of glazed over on some of the math.
--
TAZ

Game Beavers
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 05:33
If you have it just skip chapter 2 which has the main load of the math crap. Just be sure to read chapter 3 if you do skip it because it explains the notation for behavrioral calculus which is important.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 03:45
I raided the shelf and sure enough I have that book. I moved it to my work library so I can try to squeeze in some more quality time with it during lunch.

The bookmark says I made it to chapter four, but I think I need to go back before I can go forward. It's heady stuff for a high school math student.
--
TAZ

Game Beavers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:43:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:43:59