Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / making a character go from idle to walking

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a character moving around a matrix. My problem is that he is always animating in "idle" when iw want him to be walking... Could some one possibally post how to make it so that he starts walking when i press the up/right/and left keys. USING 3DS FORMAT. As Append object only seems to work on X files and thats all thats written in the help files.

DBC

ty in advance...
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 13:51 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 14:17
Hilp,

I fear that the explantation on how to do this can be lengthy and methods can vary from person to person, It may be better for you to locate tutorial or one of the examples in the code base on this topic.

I'm sure someone will be around who has code that is straight foward and readable enough that they can post. I'll try to see what I can dig up for you tomorrow, and see if I can find anything that can help you. I mainly been work with 2D but there is a lot of info around and experienced people around here.

While you are waiting....

I will suggest searching the tutorials on the dbpro home page link, the code base, and the 3d board (the actual auto search feature doesn't work in many if not all of the boards, so what I mean by search is literally checking threads that look like they may relate to your question).

Also is this for DBC or DBpro, as it is vastly different.

DBC doesn't allow for bone animation (but you cn do some mesh deformations in a roundabout way), so you will have to adjust each limb. (wait for someone else to make my explanation look silly)

Like I said I don't work much in 3D, but the last I was reading is that DB prefers models being in the .x format. I would have to check the update files to see if the issues with .3ds have been resolved, and I will probably defer to someone who can walk cirles around me when it comes to 3D, as I have probably embarassed myself enough here. But I learn a little here and there from posts like yours.

Also, Note that you don't need to....

But if you have any code of where you are at it would be beneficial for you to post it either in code tags or in the source button.

(I don't know if any of that actually helped you, but at least it will bump your post back to the top , and you may get help faster if you follow some of the suggestions.

======================================================================

I found this post dated July 07 2004 in the 3d board
Quote: "
The current version of DarkBASIC Pro doesn't fully support .3ds files, I do believe. This might be why you can load untextured objects, but not pretextured objects.

One work-around would be to export untextured objects, but still with UV mapping, and then texture them manually with texture object. Of course, it still might not work!

The better solution would be to export the .3ds files to DirectX (.x) format. There's a few conversion tools available - I personally use the command-line driven CONV3DS.exe, but there's also a plugin for 3DSMax called Panda DirectX Exporter, that'll do it too.

And, of course, there's the really simple solution - wait until full .3ds support is back! It will be! Eventually!

Hope this helps!
"

I know Yous secify "3DS FORMAT" but...

I did some more searching and I can only find information on .x animation, everything I found relating to .3ds was about how to convert from .3ds to .x. So I believe tha must be the answer at this time. Here is a link code from Mouse using the alien model for the alienware compo I believe.

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_view_code&i=8f4d16e7702da0eaa4d2491620aea5e4

Sorry

~zenassem

hilp
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah lol i looked for help and found what you found tons of Direct X help and no way to use 3ds format... But since i want to be able to use my own models and 3d max doesn't export x files i have a slight problem... Lol is there a pulgin to export to x format?
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 01:29
Yes, I put it in the post (in the quote). But my post was so long I can understand you missing it.

Quote: "
The better solution would be to export the .3ds files to DirectX (.x) format. There's a few conversion tools available - I personally use the command-line driven CONV3DS.exe, but there's also a plugin for 3DSMax called Panda DirectX Exporter, that'll do it too.
"

~zen

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 17:40:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 17:40:40