Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / file partitition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 10:29
on my computer i run windows xp pro but recently i have been useing
linix for the free c complier on it on my dads computer buti want to put it on my computer but i need a partitioning software so i dont format everything on my hard drive and was wondering if any one knew of any free partitioning software i can download ?

antec lanboy case/80 gig rom/416 ram/ati all in wonder pro video card and i built it my self.
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 11:09
So, which are you wanting to do?

1) Put Linux on your computer?
2) Put a free C compiler on your computer?

For option 1:
I can only speak for Mandrake, but when you install it, you can repartition then. You can download the Mandrake 10 CD's (in ISO form) from http://www.mandrakesoft.com/

For option 2:
Use google to search for C compilers. Miracle C is freeware, and works pretty well.
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
There is a program called fips.exe which does partitioning. It comes with redhat 7.1 and i think it comes with the higher versions also. Once the cd is in restart your machine and start up in DOS mode(ONLY) then just use the program from the red Hat cd. (Only Do it in DOS Mode) -cdrom-\dosutils\fips20\fips.exe

Are you a leader or follower.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 13:20
Quote: "linix for the free c complier on it on my dads computer buti want to put it on my computer but i need a partitioning software so i dont format everything on my hard drive and was wondering if any one knew of any free partitioning software i can download ?"

GNU GCC is the best and platform independant C/C++ Compiler there is.
There is a build for every platform...
Why go through the bother and hassle of installing an Operating System you don't know and potencially isn't going to like Windows, if all your want to do is use a C Compiler which can run under Windows?

That aside, i'd suggest Partition Magic or the CD-Bootable qtPart-ed.
I'll get the links later for them, but those would be your *best* options and I do use the term lightly because if your going to repartition you should be aware it is possible it may damage your MBR making Windows, your Data or even your Hard Disk unusable and should only be used by someone who fully understand that Re-Partitioning isn't a stable science and they know enough about HDD Block, Sector and Cylinders to understand what is going on.

I would recommend copying all the data off and using FDisk any day of the week.

MKII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 22:53 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2004 22:54
trobee im puting linix on my computers harddrive so i can use the gnu gcc compiler.
raven i do know know how linix works just so you know i've been useing it for over a year now and in some cases i like it better than windows but some things windows is better suited to but my hard drive is backupd already.
oh i would use mandrake but i have a version of redhat already.
thanks to everyone for the help.
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 23:23
If you're going to switch to Linux I'd sugest RedHat because of its compatability with most hardware and software. For partitioning I'd recommend Partition Magic as well, it's easy to use and does a great job. But if you want a free C compiler just get Watcom (www.openwatcom.com) or DJGPP (GNU GCC for PCs: http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/).
MKII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 08:35
to GothOtaku thanks for the recoumdation i like redhat but i'm not just useing it for for the free compiler in it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:43:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:43:33