Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project Starbuks, a FPS, music samples WIP(made sure this time)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 13:27
Hi, I posted this earlier, but nobody could get to the files because freewebs and geocities both stink. Thanks to Jimmy and his wonderful service it all works good now.

I've got three small songs done. One, I am randomly calling Classical Theme Collage, I originally put together in Sibelius, but sounded way too RPG-ish for an FPS. I might take some ideas out of it, make them grittier and put them back in at appropriate places.

The other two were made when we were trying out the demo version of FL Studio, and if it weren't for the fact that we couldn't save their work they would be in the finished product. These are called Rock Theme and Diemonte's Lair. You might have to turn your speakers down bit because when I exported to wav then mp3 the volume got cranked up somewhere in the middle of it. I know for a fact the two made in FL Studio will be pretty embarassing, but nonetheless critique at will!

As far as development on the rest of the game I'm putting the last crucial elements into the level editor before we put in all the stuff like moving and rotating objects (that takes maybe 20 lines of code without the ui, no big deal), by crucial I mean saving and loading, there's a bug(s) to sort out in there.

Then after that the actual engine is just camera tricks, alterations to the loading function, camera tricks, some research on the sin/cos gun bobbing, and maybe adding a little scripting in there.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 12:37 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2004 12:39
Argh! The signature didn't update.
New site is at http://www.crazydonutproductions.dbspot.com
Music is at http://www.crazydonutproductions.dbspot.com/musicpage.html

The geociites site is really old. The newer one at DBSpot is very...small, but faster and more legible.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 14:13 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2004 14:15
I know. We thought of the name, and then we heard that Kin changed its name. The music file is still called killzone, but the game name's going to be changed.....sometime. Right now we're just calling it Project Starbuks.

[EDIT]Oh..just saw it still says killzone on the first page, gotta edit that.[/EDIT]

Sony stole our name!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 08:16 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2004 08:16
Alright, I'll give you guys whatcha want......
These are screenshots of a level wip that is fairly close to the end of the game. Most likely it's been updated, but I'm not the level designer so I don't have direct access to the most up to date files.

If these load too slow, you can look at them here: http://crazydonutproductions.dbspot.com/screenshots.html

This what they look like inside DarkBasic.

Bunking for the bad guys.

Different angle of bunking for the bad guys.

A window, at the end of a T corridor. Reason for the blue is there's no skybox up yet.

A balcony that will look out into the wild white yonder (it's in Iceland).

An indoor balcony thing, that will eventually be overlooking a ballroom.

An overview. There's been a ton added, but this is the most up to date file I've got (need to set up passworded FTP...).

What this will eventually look like...
Imagine that overview, extend it so it's completed the balcony in the middle thing and it's symmetrically, roughly twice as big as it is now. Stack four floors the same size with different layouts on top of each other, plus add a small basement at the bottom and a roof on top.. That's the level.

Sony stole our name!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 12:18
level designs look great so far! looks like this game is starting to take shape

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 16:56
Thanks .

Unfortunately I haven't been able to show much of it off since the progression is being made mostly in the mod support and working the kinks out of the level editor.

How It Works:
The format for levels in Project Starbuks defines 10 different "objects". These are not necessarily 3d objects, but just stuff you can throw in to make the level work.

Maps-The basic structure of your level. Maps include terrain, buildings, and other things like that. You load it in and position it where you need it.

Statics-Basically small geometry that does nothing but sit there. Same loading procedure as maps.

Doors-You need to specifically tell the level editor you want to make a door that opens and closes. There are ways to adjust the frames upon which the door is open/closed (ie: if you want a door to use more frames opening than closing).

Explodables-Withing each explodable's object file there will be animation for an explosion. I may add features to use something like Hamish's particle system depending on what our needs are, what modders needs are, and if Hamish consents. The most common use of this feature will be to create gas barrels.

Lights-All the basic function of DB lights, so....kind of limited. You can also adjust the fog and ambient light.

AIs-When you create an AI you can define its skill level, health, armor, and all the weapons it carries.
There will be a default set of animations required to be included with custom characters. If you do not have an animation for it you will simply just leave the animation blank.

Weapons-When setting up weapons you can place weapons on the ground for pick up, you can place ammunition on the ground and define what guns it will provide ammunition for and how much ammunition it will add, you can load a weapon into memory just for the use of sticking it in an AI/player's hands(no CS mess where weapons drop on top of you), and you can also create stationary guns.

Triggers-There are two types of triggers, one in which the trigger is activated by destroying an AI or target, the other when the player enters an area defined by you. You then define a script file in which you can program various effects such as cutscenes, exploding explodables, checking off objectives, etc.
We're still working out the specifics of the script language.

Spawn Points-Spawn points can be defined as either team-specific spawn points, non-team specific spawn points, or checkpoints for single player scenarios.

Control Points/Flags-Some multiplayer modes of the game will include capture the flag, king of the hill, tag capture(you touch it it's your team's but somebody else could come and tag it), and battlfield1942 style control point capture. You use control points/flags to setup flags and control points for these game modes.

It's a little ambitious, but the hardest part of the level editor is now coming to a close, all that's left is a pretty UI and a little more basic object interaction. It's just me programming this part, when we start the "real" engine for the game so we can play the levels we'll have multiple people working on different modules.

Sony stole our name!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 19:11 Edited at: 4th Aug 2004 19:12
Wow... uve realy thought this through... and informed us... that you did so... now that you know that we know that this is going somewhere. Great work! Ok im done. You can all sleep easyer now... (Shut up, im typing this at 2:00 AM EXACTLY, PACIFIC TIME)

"Think what you like, You'll all be mine in the end."

[href]www.DotBinary.dbspot.com[/href]
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 12:59
Alright, the pics were down but the site is now back up. Has anybody listened to the music, or perhaps would like to comment/crit on the level editing format?

Sony stole our name!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 23:31 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 23:32
I listened to the music, and it was pretty good. But... This is a FPS you say? Maybe it's just me, but I always thought FPS music should have more of a techno/synth/hardcore feel... But then that depends on the type of FPS you're making. Is it stealth orented like Splinter Cell or more of a "kill everything that moves" like Quake or Doom? Or a blend of the two, like halo. The music's pretty good, but it really depends on the feel of the game as to what you should use.

The level format sounds fantistac! I always thought there should be a level format that alowed all that cool stuff you have It looks like you could have a base heightmap level but still add static objects like towers or bases... Kinda reminds me of Tribes2 (oh yeah)

Like Mind Storm 101 said, you've really thought this through! Great work, and I hope you keep it up!

~Hawkeye
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 17:38
Thanks for the kind words Hawkeye.

We're trying to strike a balance with gameplay. We found Halo/007 to be too slow, and Unreal/Quake to be too fast. We want to keep the hardcore people interested, but not scare the pee out of anybody who doesn't normally do PC FPSs.
It's going to feel almost like a bond game since you're this suave secret agent dude, but we're avoiding the feel of a console shooter. The music will probably be a mixture of deep minor chords classical orchestra, and when things get intense some metal.
The reason for that, is just we like it. Instead of listening to the techno synth beats of the standard HalfLife soundtrack we generally prefer to have media player running in the background playing sons like Meteora, Dragula, TNT, For Those About To Rock, etc.

Something we're trying to implement with explosions is amplification when close to other explosions. Basically when an explosion goes off it has a smoke radius(obsucres vision), a fire radius (which decides most of the damage), and a concussion radius(does a little extra damage and sends the player flying in a particular direction).

There's also an amplification radius and amplification value. When multiple explosions are going off, it checks to see if any are within each other's amplification radius, and if so takes a base amplificaton value and increments/decrements it depending on how close the explosions are together. The amplification value is then applied to the fire, smoke, and concussion radiuses.

What we've seen in other games:
You put one grenade down and detonate it.
You put two grenades on top of each other, detonate them, it's the same force, just two explosions overlapping each other.

What we want to create:
You put two grenades next to each other and detonate them it will be at least 1.25 times as big an explosions, maybe more if we want to go crazy.

Sony stole our name!
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 05:39
sounding good

Create or Play? You choose!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2004 14:42 Edited at: 26th Aug 2004 08:33
My 3d content guy gave me a disk of screens he wanted me to upload. It's basically just side shots of some of the weapons that will be used in the game. Unfortunately we've been making due without a lot of human resources to work on art so we're using royalty-free models, many from Darkmatter.

here's the site link: http://crazydonutproductions.dbspot.com/screenshots.html

We have multiple copies of different gun types because there will usually be two versions of every gun, standard and specialized.

Sony stole our name!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 06:49
heh, I always thought firecracker effect in halo needed a bit more... bang to it Sounds neat, the way you have the multiplier effect going with the 'nades.

Nice models, btw...

~Hawkeye

Bring out the mercenary in you!
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mercenaries2 Community (not yet, anyway, but coming soon! right?)
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2004 16:21 Edited at: 7th Sep 2004 02:10
More pics & music.

http://crazydonutproductions.dbspot.com/screenshots.html

FruitLick

Pumpin

Sony stole our name!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2004 17:31
the last 2 links dont work, also the m4 is flipped the wrong way, the bullet releses from the right side :p

and getting them levels lightmapped would help alot

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 02:13 Edited at: 7th Sep 2004 03:22
Darn.....gameSpace did it again. It always seems to get things backwards.
There's no level in there right now, when you look down there's a plain, but not much else. Reason being....gameSpace loads the levels backwards, that's kind of grinding us to a halt.

btw, fixed the links.

[EDIT]

Quote: "Music review,
by Kevin B
a.k.a newkgb

Classical.
Dynamic foreplay, settling, exploring, commanding/ rushing style..
Rock song.
Good midi instruments .Voice overs aren't so bad - not sure about the 'go..'
DIamonds layer.. seems repetitive... great for a maps background music.. as it has length. A similar mood throughout.

Are you making this music with the game's theme in mind, or individual levels? You could then loop 4 or 5 different sounding tracks .. but with the same theme.. so you won't get bored with the same song on the same level.. the game's theme will be

' I am stuck in space with a gun, some aliens and not much ammo '
' I'm in a hostile place '
' I'm very isolated and far away '
' This game is rockin' '

or each level has it's own song..

' brrr.. it's cold here. Beautiful, but cold.. '
' all depressive and moody.. and dark! '

Just an idea.."

Just saw your edit burnhard, thanks for the comments. We're thinking about one or two, maybe three (if we stretch it) songs for each level that will match what's going on in the game. We're setting up trigger points at key points in the level so we don't have to write a big dynamic music system. Most of the pieces will follow a general theme we thought up a while ago in A minor, but will variate based on what we want the player to feel while they're running through the level (ie:mysterious/exploratory, oh sh!t I'm screwed, booya I kick butt, wow that's amazing). Kinda weird descriptors...but that's the best way I can describe it.

Sony stole our name!
The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 07:37
How close are you to being done?

Andrew Tamalunas
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 07:51
err.............
The design is done....coding our first demo as I speak. Going to feature a cutscene (to show off how you can use cutscenes in mods), then a demo level that's basically the cutscene, it will show off the engine features. Unfortunately when I swapped hard drives a lot of the more up to date code was lost in translation. I recovered some of it, but it's really sketchy and needs a lot of revision.

Sony stole our name!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:09:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:09:20