Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Rebel's Run - Updated Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 07:31
Now that the game has progressed beyond "early screenshots", I felt it was time to start a new thread for this game. I have just posted 3 new screenshots with the new background (yes the stars move also), shielding system "animation", and an "online/offline" notification for the missile launcher, which means the missile launcher has to cool down before the next shot is fired. 4 types of asteroids have been implemented, along with a certain distance you have to travel to reach the end. The "boss" asteroid has yet to be implemented though. I'll add in joystick control tomorrow...Here's the link to the site, comments welcomed...
http://www.geocities.com/mlee31705/

PC Specs: AMD 1800+ 512M DDR, Radeon 128meg DDR - DB v1.13

To DB or not to DB............duh DB!
Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 22:08
Update - Menu screen complete with a spinning rebel alliance icon is finished. As soon as I can get to a system (at work, blasted firewalls!), I'll add a screenshot to my site. Demo to be announced in a few days...

Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 12:50
Added a screenshot of the menu screen on the site. Feel free to have a look.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 13:22
_Mike_,

Looking good.

Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 07:02
@ Balid - Thanks.

Update - I doubled the speed of the proton torpedo. I had it and the xwing moving upwards at the same speed which just wasn't right. I also made the asteroids rotate as they decend down on you. I hope to have better looking explosions this weekend, fix 1 bug (some reason the game locks up when you finish one game and start another) and I'll have a demo that's "releasable". It's going to be about 22 meg in size with the music, graphics, and sounds included.

Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 21:57
Mini Update - In my typical 5-20 mins a day to work on this, I did manage to add an in-game pause feature. I have 4 different sets of asteroids decending down on you, but now each set rotates differently (direction). I played with some explosion textures yesterday, but I wasn't happy with the way they looked. Does anyone have some realistic explosion textures they wouldn't mind sharing?

Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 04:34
Took some time off to play Doom3 (can you blame me?) and decided to get back on my game. Not much of an update today, but I did manage to trim some "fat" out of some of the graphics files by over 2 megabytes without losing image quality....Just trying to make this game to run as smooth as possible...

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 08:31
Screenshots look real nice. How bout a demo? Or did I miss it...

~Hawkeye
Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 22:22
@ Hawkeye. No demo yet. I'm waiting on the new website to be finished. One of my team members is working on it as I type this. We're moving to a real domain and will be online soon. My current site has a 5 meg limit of webspace and that won't work for the demo. I also have some more tweaking I want to do before I release it. Things are starting to "calm down" some for me and I'm getting a little more free time (longer than the 20-30 mins once in a while) to devote to working on this project. I want to get a demo out to get opinions and specs from different systems, so a demo is comming.

Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2004 21:55
@ Mr Kid. What did you have in mind as far as help? What I need most is 3d models and 2d artwork (backgrounds, etc). I've already written the storyline of the game and have most of the levels "designed", but only level 1 is coded.

Mini update. I've improved the look of the explosions. The ones from ExGen that I made I just couldn't get realistic enough, so I used different ones via explosion generator. I've added a splash screen prior to the start of the level to give the player more story and what needs to be done for the level. I've changed the menu to use a mouse instead of a keyboard and a couple of coding tweaks and added a few more sounds. We (Retro Revolution Studios) have a website about ready for launch as well. I'm still pushing for a demo before the month's out.

Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 21:50
A game with just squares, cubes, cones, etc is a great start. You don't have to have fancy models and other graphics to make a fun game. The first game I made in DB used cubes, circles, and a plain on a scrolling backdrop. Not much to look at, but was playable. Replacing those objects with models is the easy part. Keep at it. I'd be glad to help where I can.

Back to topic. I'm not going to make an October release date. I just haven't had time to work on the project in the past 2 weeks. Hopefully I can put something in the form of a demo out before turkey day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:30:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:30:19