Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / After Burner Remake with 3D graphics (Please Help!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 23:37 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 07:37
I'm doing a remake of after burner and i kind of need some programming help...well lots of programming help...I read a dbpro tutorial..but it focused mainly on 2d...it is however...useful because my game is 3d in a 2d perspective....I need some help on the maps...do i use a scrolling planematrix or do i create a very long model....I'm doing the graphics first cause that I can do...heres the jet the player will fly....It's actually an updated version of after burner....

Stiyyiille
Celeron 2.0 Ghz, p4 titan mboard, Aopen Geforce fx 5200 128mb, 768mb ram
Xatnys
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Wow, just had to say that I like the concept you're working with. AfterBurner was one of my favorite games(both in arcades and Sega Master System), and I've often pondered doing something similar to what you're working on, but keeping it sprite based 2D.

Anyways, to your question, I'd say if you wanted to keep it in rather true "old school" afterburner fasion, go the scrolling matrix route.

I'm sure you remember how you'd "fly" over the same terrain over and over, but it wasn't all that noticable at first, as you had so much air combat action going on, that you'd not stop to "smell the roses".

You can do the same thing, but maybe incorporate a feature that will randomize the matrix every so often, to give a less "static terrain" feel to it.

Also I've never done this, but maybe you could make a couple matrices and then after the first one's edge is reached(actually by draw distance) then load matrix 2, etc alternate back and forth, combine that with a randomization and I'd say that'd be a good start on terrain for a level.

I'm sure you'll be trying to capture the same feel for the action on screen, so really, the terrain will not be overly analyzed by your average gamer, but I'm glad it's something you want to do right, rather than an afterthought.

Dunno, still a noob, so take it FWIW, just my $0.02 .

Xatnys

Hello.
Goodbye.
Xatnys
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice model too btw imho.

Xatnys

Hello.
Goodbye.
Lascerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 04:09
of course without the feel and the heart pumping action it wouldnt be after burner ...I also have a killer soundtrack..I'm sure you enjoyed the music....I still need to find powerful sounde effects though...like heavy unit(also an old game)....it had incredible sounds...here is my game in more detail...

I wanted it to be a futuristic action after burner...reason: then i can add in special efects to make the action even better like laser explosions various colours of neon...splashig onto your screen...i want this game to be colourful and bright like a great vivd action heart pumping dream...

I'll have similar enemies too especially the "oowhhaoo" enemies as they were called on my version....the ones that spew dozens of missiles at once...and you have to dodge in all ways....

I was also thinking of a randomized matrix...then i got an idea for a mountain stage where you dodge mountains, fight enemies and fly under bridges passed water falls....i know the action will be tough and fast and you wont really take much noice of these things but...i believe it would be appreciated....i love the subtlties in games...cause everytime you play it you'll see something new...I could use flat surfaces with specular and bump maps to make it more realistic and lower the poly count..

as always the game will be score orientated....

i also want to give it force feedback support...to give it that arcade feel...like when you sit in the cockpit...remember that...
if force feedback is done right it would do something similar....

what else......umm? any ideas....reat feedback thank you ever so much....let me know what you think....i'll do more models soon...

I loved that game..."oowhooa"

Stiyyiille
DLS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 08:34
I remember playing afterburner for the 1st time when i was about 6. now i'm 21 i can't believe some1 is willing to remake it and bring it upto date.

one thing u shouldn't forget to add is the AFTEBURNER mode. the canyon level your on about would make for some interesting moves if u engage it

u might not see anything fly past but u'll be aware of the walls soon enough.

one sugestion u could add to it is that when u get to say a big boss type dude it could go into a kind of hover mode.

since u are making it more futuristic it might be a good idea
Lascerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 09:56
I was thinking of going a bit extrme and making it an anime game....vinrant colours with a mech boss here and there....as for the canyon stage i was thinking of making it even more exciting imagine doing that in a proper canyon with train bridges lose rocks and tons of more rocks.....p.s. I loved this game when i was 6 too i also loved Top Gun...thats why i'm using some of Top Gun's heart pumping tracks for the soundtrack....thank you for your input....the hover thing is a good idea....i could also make a hyper speed battle...what do you think..... thanks again

Stiyyiille

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:31:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:31:17