Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Moving to C++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 11:16
I'm trying to learn to program in C instead of darkbasic, because my apps don't always work on other people's computers, is there a certain program you need to write C++? And are there any good tutorials?

Programs for programmers.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 11:21
Why not try putting C++ in that little search box near the bottom of the page?

This one seems to be asked about twice per week

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 11:29
I suggest you invest in Visual Studio C++ 6.0 and make sure you download the Direct X 9.0 SDK

Amist the Blue Skies...
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 11:59
Read The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup the creator of C++.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 12:02
Personally i'm with IanM... however just for some benifit here:

[url=]Microsoft Visual C++[/url] - Simple, Easy, Padantic and with so much help I can't believe they fit it all on a single DVD.

Codewarrior - An Industry multi-platform solution. If the platform has a microchip, chances are they have a special version just to dev on it.

Minimal General C Compiler for Windows - This is free, a pure C/C++ compiler (no fancy addons) and if that wasn't sweet enough...
Some crazy team has made this for you MinGW Developer Studio, a platform independant C/C++ IDE (designed for use with MinGW)

Don't be fooled by the name though, although mingw started out as a Windows version of GCC it now covers every platform
Which is cool because I have it installed on Windows, Linux and MacOSX.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 12:28
And don't give up. It took me like 3 seperate attempts before I finally understood a lot of it, mainly from other languages too.

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
well, with cpp you could use ogl or dx, so you don't necessarily need the dx 9 sdk. i would, however, second abomb's suggestion of visual studio 6. excellent ide.

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net.
no: website for progs yet.
C Programmer 52
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I Am A C++ Programmer and Goth0taku, i can not beleive you just told a beginner to read the C++ Programming language, its a good book and all if you already know some things, but if a beginner had to read that book dang, i remember when i first started C++, i looked at it, could not literally understand a word of that book, now i can understand it but that is because of constant studying before i even considered taking another look at that book afer the first time, if your new id recommend "The Standard C++ Bible" or "Sams Teach yourSelf C++ in 21 Days". Yes, you need a compiler, a good free one is DevC++ by bloodshed software if you are in Windows, but linux is my development enviroment so i use Anjuta for Gnome and KDevelop for KDE, etc.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 21:43
The best book I'd recomend for a beginner is "C++ from the ground up". Very good explanations. And VC6 is the best IDE you could get. I've been developing on a 486 (win 95) latly, so I couldn't install VC. I installed Dev-C++ but their debugger doesn't work (or I couldn't get it to) so every now and then I have to pass all my work via floppies to my other computer to debug it there.

Pazza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 07:48
I gotta recommend "Teach yourself c++ in 21 days" from sams, quality especially if your new to programming.

"Bite my shiny metal ass!" - Bender
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 23:30
Quote: "Well I Am A C++ Programmer and Goth0taku, i can not beleive you just told a beginner to read the C++ Programming language, its a good book and all if you already know some things, but if a beginner had to read that book dang, i remember when i first started C++, i looked at it, could not literally understand a word of that book, now i can understand it but that is because of constant studying before i even considered taking another look at that book afer the first time"

Heh, yeah, that is true but when I was learning C++ all I had was a useless textbook (that made you use their own proprietary library) and an even more useless teacher so I learned it on my own using that book. As for the Sams series of books, I've never been a fan, I've started Teach Yourself Java and Teach Yourself JavaScript and both times only got to chapter 3 before getting bored with them. I guess I just learn better with dry technical manuals than learning books.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:45:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:45:20